Match Thread: Lincoln City v Leyton Orient | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Leyton Orient

Caveat, I have to say I watched on iFollow and I know that does not always give the full and proper impression. But, I what I saw foremost was a side trying to stop the Imps playing for 75/80 mins and being circumspect going forward and most of the time making sure they had bodies behind the ball, that's what I mean by being by not giving it a go. I was a little surprised they were not more adventurous given they had very little to lose and lot to gain and I would have thought a more expansive approach straight after half time and they could possibly have been rewarded and made the Imps pay for not being as good as they have been recently.

But, hey ho, all that matters is the history books will record Lincoln City 1 - Leyton Orient 0.
I had a different perception from within the stadium. They balanced being understandably cautious against a side on a high scoring roll, choked our midfield, and looked to get forward when the opportunity was there. Most of their chances came from set pieces, primarily long throws which we defended well.

Orient were well organised and disciplined, if we're honest we were lucky but those sort of tight games are often decided by one moment of quality and that's what Jovon provided.

Lucky or unlucky, the one quality moment of the game and we win it. Really pleased for Jovon, not had the best of seasons been given the impossible task of leading the line when all our '9's were injured and not treated well by some of the support. Hope that gives him the confidence he has earnt.

Interestingly, in the brief highlights on iFollow straight after the game, the screen buffered at the moment when Beckles threw him off the ball. Jovon was a good five yards away from the defender, near the touchline and massively off-balance. Put that on Question of Sport and you would be pushed to conjure up what happened next.

I had a different perception from within the stadium. They balanced being understandably cautious against a side on a high scoring roll, choked our midfield, and looked to get forward when the opportunity was there. Most of their chances came from set pieces, primarily long throws which we defended well.

Orient were well organised and disciplined, if we're honest we were lucky but those sort of tight games are often decided by one moment of quality and that's what Jovon provided.
Exactly this, and most definitely went for the winner from about the 75mins. mark onwards. An approach that was reasonable and could have been easily anticipated. What was less anticipatable was their change in shape to a diamond which MS openly acknowledged.

I thought we came up short tactically in the first half - unsuccessfully repeatedly banging the ball diagonally to Reeco was the most obvious example of that; in mitigation MS admitted it was hard to get messages on from the side-lines (some learning to be had there?).

Full credit to the team for remaining resolute, patient and they were rewarded with a clinical finish from our only meaningful attempt on goal (it will be interesting to see our XG).

Last edited:
I thought they looked a decent side, but - as John says - lacking in the final third.

However quite a few teams have struggled in the final third against us, and that may well come down to the fact that we have a truly excellent defense.

I also think that with our first choice midfield, or even EE playing, we would have won comfortably. Our midfield three yesterday were totally absent and ineffective.

Caveat, I have to say I watched on iFollow and I know that does not always give the full and proper impression. But, I what I saw foremost was a side trying to stop the Imps playing for 75/80 mins and being circumspect going forward and most of the time making sure they had bodies behind the ball, that's what I mean by being by not giving it a go. I was a little surprised they were not more adventurous given they had very little to lose and lot to gain and I would have thought a more expansive approach straight after half time and they could possibly have been rewarded and made the Imps pay for not being as good as they have been recently.

But, hey ho, all that matters is the history books will record Lincoln City 1 - Leyton Orient 0.
I agree with that, they had a game plan that did not allow them to do much else in an attacking sense; perhaps they would have left themselves open at the back if they had been more expansive, or maybe they were just a limited side. I suspect they could not do both. They were certainly well-drilled and organised, which is both a compliment and a criticism, but there was no flair there that could create anything really dangerous. If they are building their midfield around Sideways Sanders, little wonder.

As a team who also had a play-off place to fight for I thought they looked as though they had come for the draw. For the first 80 minutes or so they appeared to put most of their effort into preventing us getting any type of flow going, boarding on just the right side of aggressive. Except for Beckles, who set his stall out right from the off and was allowed quite a lot of leeway, which frustrated our players who were pulled up for simple fouls. Ben House - I felt your frustration.

I suppose a draw would have been a fair result but football isn't fair and you take what you can. Chuffed for Jovon, he fought back to reclaim the ball and scored a cracker. The lads must feel relieved but elated with the win. We'll need a better overall performance on Monday but confidence is sky high. CMON U Imps!

I also think that with our first choice midfield, or even EE playing, we would have won comfortably. Our midfield three yesterday were totally absent and ineffective.
Our midfield was superb yesterday.

Everyone of them without a defensive bone in their body, played for the team and helped keep a clean sheet, which meant one piece of play was enough to earn the points.

It was never likely to be a thing of beauty.

We were already unbalance without either McGrandles or Hamilton

...and with no Erhahon, that could have been too much of a challenge.

Mandroiu, Bishop and Moylan can look back on yesterday with some satisfaction.

Interestingly, in the brief highlights on iFollow straight after the game, the screen buffered at the moment when Beckles threw him off the ball. Jovon was a good five yards away from the defender, near the touchline and massively off-balance. Put that on Question of Sport and you would be pushed to conjure up what happened next.

It was a brilliant bit of instant karma. Beckles was ambling back thinking he'd got away with a foul and that Brown was about to clear it. Next thing he knows is Jovon bearing down on goal, who then did him with a check before nutmegging him for the strike. Poetic justice.
I always thought Beckles was a mistake waiting to happen when he was at Shrewsbury, on this occasion Jovon didn't wait.

Not sure on the played great football bit. They battled well, were well disciplined, well set up and organised but very limited in the final third. Their goal tally for the season would say that was a typical performance with a lot of 1-0 results either way. All 3 games against them have been hard slog fests with 2 late individual opportunist goals for us getting the so vital 6 points.
I enjoyed watching their number 8, Jordan Brown, he looked a good player in all of our matches. Only 22, he was released by Derby and signed for Orient in January 2022. Being from the East Midlands it’s a fair chance Scubala was aware of him in his junior days. The highs and lows of football, despite all of his good play his biggest contribution was being disposed by Makama to score the goal.
I only said good!

Everyone of them without a defensive bone in their body, played for the team and helped keep a clean sheet, which meant one piece of play was enough to earn the points.

I think this is mostly fair but - they didn’t contribute going forwards. I imagine all 3 consider the day a success if they get an assist/ a goal which only Mandroiu got close to

It was a brilliant bit of instant karma. Beckles was ambling back thinking he'd got away with a foul and that Brown was about to clear it. Next thing he knows is Jovon bearing down on goal, who then did him with a check before nutmegging him for the strike. Poetic justice.
I always thought Beckles was a mistake waiting to happen when he was at Shrewsbury, on this occasion Jovon didn't wait.
That’s was also he team mate toto the cod head

Agree. And that's why we bypassed them for most of the game. There was only one point I remember when all three midfielders got ahead of the ball. They were disciplined in defence but ineffective in an attacking sense. We missed Erhahon.
However as much as Orient looked strong and closed us down well, stopping us from playing, they created only one big chance in the box.
As for the game. The way the goal came about, the scorer and the 90th minute I enjoyed it as much as the the 5-0s. If not more.
Feeling we can make that last play off spot.

Well a very emotional day for me and my family.
Can I first say what we already know about the club that they really are fantastic at fan engagement. I let them know by email my intentions of putting a rose on my late brothers seat as I thought that was only right. Didn't expect a phone call
from Alan Long invited me and any other family members to come to the ground early so we could go in to the stadium and place the rose and a little note on Pete's seat before the crowd came in. Both Alan Long and Damian Froggatt met us and offered their condolences. No false front to them just genuine nice people who then chatted to us like ordinary fans themselves as we entered the ground and walked around the pitch. After we placed the memorial on the seat they aloud us as much time as we wanted on our own and let us out again when we were ready. Thankyou to them and all the wonderful people at Lincoln City.
I will always remember this game for obvious reasons and when Makama scored it was such and emotional feeling and i looked up to the skies and thought that was for Pete. I have seen many important goals over the many years i have watched the Imps but that goal will always be the most important goal for me.
UTI

Can I first say what we already know about the club that they really are fantastic at fan engagement. I let them know by email my intentions of putting a rose on my late brothers seat as I thought that was only right. Didn't expect a phone call
from Alan Long invited me and any other family members to come to the ground early so we could go in to the stadium and place the rose and a little note on Pete's seat before the crowd came in. Both Alan Long and Damian Froggatt met us and offered their condolences. No false front to them just genuine nice people who then chatted to us like ordinary fans themselves as we entered the ground and walked around the pitch. After we placed the memorial on the seat they aloud us as much time as we wanted on our own and let us out again when we were ready. Thankyou to them and all the wonderful people at Lincoln City.
I will always remember this game for obvious reasons and when Makama scored it was such and emotional feeling and i looked up to the skies and thought that was for Pete. I have seen many important goals over the many years i have watched the Imps but that goal will always be the most important goal for me.
UTI
Lovely to read this. Well done Alan and the club. And well done you Tony and family: it must have been a tough thing to do, but the right thing to do. Now, I appear to have something in my eye......

UTI
What a lovely post. Much love to you and your family Ruskingtontony. UTI.

Yes I agree, it was a totally different game to what Bishop and Mandy have had to play for us before. In that Central defensive midfield position a lot of the work is filling space to stop counters onto our back three and cutting off angles to stop them playing through us. This worked to the extent their defenders were forced to pass sideways and eventually go long. Totally disciplined and solid are not words often to describe Bishop and Mandy but were the right words for yesterdays performance.
Mandy was limping from the knock on his right ankle after about 30 minutes but struggled on for the benefit and keeping the balance and shape of the team. I will be surprised if he is fit to play at Carlisle, fortunately we have that other ball winning colossus Erhahon ready to replace him.

UTI
Lovely touch from the club.
I notice there was a couple of mentions of a fan who’s unwell, including from MS.
We also made sure Derek Reynolds wasn’t forgotten.
Hope this never leaves our club wherever we get to.