Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham

When we lose at SB or away I usually feel dreadful and low and often faced with a long journey home ! , the next morning still a bit the same, then look forward to the next game and a potential win of course ! Last night and today I just felt nothing, no emotion, resigned to out fate. To lose so many points in the last few minutes through crap basic mistakes, you just know what is coming time and time again. Well, tomorrow is Season Ticket day and I will buy of course but suspect many will now not bother and really understand why.
UTI.

"Last night and today I just felt nothing, no emotion, resigned to out fate. "

Just about sums up my feelings too. I watch the games on iFollow, don't really look forward to them any longer, get slightly bored with the constant square or backward passing and lack of action in the opposition penalty area, get frustrated at the poor team selections and performances game after game, yet don't feel angry after the game any longer.

I'll still watch on iFollow, full of admiration for you all who physically go to game after game - as I used to in my younger days, and probably still would if I was still in Lincoln.

But the emotion has totally gone sadly.

Lots of comments regarding leadership on the pitch, or lack thereof.

The worst thing for me is that I genuinely have no idea what we were trying to do yesterday. Route one? Wing play? Switch the play to open them up? Not a clue.

Maguire and Scully both had the ball in the first half and you could tell they weren’t overly sure what to do.

Totally agree. Some of the players have no idea any longer of how MA wants them to play. And some are terrified now of trying anything off script.

Sanders was a good example yesterday. His positional play is excellent and he found himself several times with lots of space ten yards outside their penalty area. A confident Sanders would have been creative, but you could just about see him thinking what MA would want him to do with the ball, and then thinking if I don't do it I will be dropped....again. So he plays a short safe square pass.

MaGuire is the exception as he knows he can do whatever he wants, and will never be left out.

I can't see how we change anything. I don't think MA can do much different, he's painted himself into a corner with everything he's said and the squad he's built. It's no good trying to get them to play differently, they can't play a physical game, they can't play a defensive game. We have a squad that can play one way and they're doing it really badly at the moment. It's hard to see where the catalyst for change is in the current set up. I'm not sure whether a new manager coming in could do much more with this lot other than perhaps bring their mood up a bit.

For me all we can do now is hope that the teams below us are a bit worse than us, hope we can nick a few points and pray that it's enough to stay up.

I think as a club we're trying to do the right thing by getting young lads in and developing them to sustain our future. However, you can't develop 11 players at a time.

I think this season it's often been as simple as needing bigger players. Yesterday Oliver absolutely bullied us and that made it so easy for them to get up the pitch. We've seen other big lads do it to us many times this season.

It's a bit like a technically sound lightweight boxer going up against an average heavyweight, the smaller lad looks impressive and skillful a lot of the time, the big lad soaks it up then whacks him. I think at league one level given the amount of teams who play in such a physical manner you've got to have players in your own team who can give as good as they get so your technical, skillfull players have a chance to do their thing.

I have got a fucking clue nor do I care what that means. All I know is that the team in blue put the ball in the back of the net twice and we didn’t.

The league table and results shows all you need to know. I don’t think you need a statistician to tell us we are in the shit

Then you don't think enough about the game. In common, it seems to me, with a higher than expected proportion people on this forum. I've reached the conclusion that there's a lot of clueless folk out there.

The manager doesn't make the players miss chances that have been created. That's what the chart is telling you.

Despite an appalling, disjointed, mostly directionless performance we still created enough to win, but couldn't finish. Again. That's despite having an experienced goalscorer now in the side.

I'm not surprised because too many people here would have excused that had Whittaker scored in the second half and said they "battled" to get a result.

We should probably do a manager swap with Portsmouth. They hate their manager too.

It’s the kind of analysis all teams and coaches use now. Effectively saying that on the quality of chances we made we should on average score 1.25 goals and Gillingham 0.76. The stats don’t analyse the quality of the defense against them.

So, the deduction from these stats are

Our finishing was poor (zero scored v 1.25 expected)
Our defending was just as bad (2 conceded against 0.76 expected)

Do you agree with that Brendan Bradley? Very useful stats to see.

Then you don't think enough about the game. In common, it seems to me, with a higher than expected proportion people on this forum. I've reached the conclusion that there's a lot of clueless folk out there.

The manager doesn't make the players miss chances that have been created. That's what the chart is telling you.

Despite an appalling, disjointed, mostly directionless performance we still created enough to win, but couldn't finish. Again. That's despite having an experienced goalscorer now in the side.

I'm not surprised because too many people here would have excused that had Whittaker scored in the second half and said they "battled" to get a result.

We should probably do a manager swap with Portsmouth. They hate their manager too.

I stand by my comment football is as much an art as a science. To be honest if this is how Appleton manages no wonder we are in the shit. Where is the passion where is the human side of management. He needs to take a leaf out of the big Keith school of motivation.

you can play championship manager all you like and have 46 colourful graphs all lined up at the end of the season will not not make a blind bit of difference if we are relegated.

Who collects these stats? What is their basis?

seems like lies damned lies and statistics

Given performance and the importance this state is an insult to imps fans.

Despite some views that are appearing here I can recall far shitter seasons in my nearly 50 years as an Imp. I'll still be cheering them on home and away next season irrespective of whether the first game is against Derby or Boreham Wood.

13 games left. 5 wins needed. Get behind the lads and they will respond.

I'd like to understand more about xg. From what I can tell it is a predictive metric calculated by a piece of software, but how does that software collect it's data? Ie how does it analyse how good a chance really is? Is it is AI or it is being told?

The morning after the afternoon before….

What to say after we’ve just put in a super limp effort against a side that shipped 7 at home only a few weeks ago?

Of course we are in a relegation dogfight and there are so many similar poor performances especially at home. Cambridge, Doncaster and Gillingham all very similar.

It’s only a short while since excellent wins at Sunderland, Plymouth and at home to Oxford.

So which is the real Lincoln City? Totally Jeckyl and Hide performances and impossible to rationalise.

Our mood is naturally low and I am no different.

At the moment it feels a bit like the season when we got relegated to the Conference first time when we simply couldn’t find a result when we needed one in the last 1/3 of the season.

A lot of criticism and some considerable loss of confidence that MA has the answers to pull us out of this tail spin. I think that’s justified on a forum when fans are naturally airing their worries

We have an excellent Chairman and I feel very confident we will reach our potential as a club (whatever that may be) under his leadership.

These points though puzzle me.

We spent an awful lot of money on a new pitch to be laid to suit our passing game. That’s a huge investment and trust placed in the coaching staff that this investment would enhance our performances. Clearly, the return on that investment has been poor. As of this morning we have the WORST points per match return in our league in home matches. In any other business the management board would ask serious questions about the return on investment.

We were touted as chasing a young Scottish full back who had just scored against Rangers in the SPL. Surely out of our price range? But we did fight off stiff competition for his signature from clubs with bigger budgets and paid a substantial fee which was almost certainly a club record. Then…..he hardly gets a game. Was this another bad investment?

We constantly hear about the super budgets of other teams in our league, so we must spend our money wisely.

Whittaker looked incredible when he pulled on the shirt for us. He now looks lost. Why? What has happened in only a few weeks? But he’s not the only one looking disinterested or lacking the minerals for a scrap right now. Why? Is it that the group is not as cohesive and together as we would like and expect? I don’t now and I can’t explain. Logically it may suggest parts of the dressing room are not ‘on message’ and only the manager can sort that out, difficult though if he’s ‘lost’ one or two.

How many times have we conceded goals from a simple cross delivered to the area in the central penalty area around the edge of the 6 yard box? A number of very similar goals.

I don’t have the answers and I’m simply sharing my frustrations.

The most amazing current mystery though is how the support has held up, especially at home where we have been poor (the stats don’t lie) and on a few occasions dire. Add in Bowers and Pitsea and Hartlepool in the cup to the league form and we’ve had a number of wretched efforts at home.

The support has been fantastic in numbers but it’s hard to shout with a huge lump in your throat isn’t it?

Over the years I’ve seen the support plummet when we hit a lean spell but right now it’s consistently excellent and not deserving of the home performances especially.

So, where do we go from here? Well let’s start with a full stadium next Saturday. If we can’t get up for this match against SW then we are in big trouble. We need to see fight and resolve and we may just get a result that kick fires our move away from the relegation trap door. Another poor defeat and we really will be in for an anxious end of season.

Let’s see some fight and togetherness now and scrap for our L1 status, which is entirely within our own hands to achieve.

UTI!

I agree with every word you say apart from your last paragraph.

We were supposed to be a lot stronger as from 2 January...we won 2 games in January.

We've only won 1 game in the last 7.

Do we look any stronger as a team or is the life draining out of us game by game.

I remember what everyone was saying way before the end of that fateful season in 2011.

Similar sort of things.
Words like 'let's stick together'
'Let's scrap for our league status'
'It's still in our own hands'

Words are easy and mean nothing.

After witnessing that live yesterday we just can't keep spouting empty words.

The clichés and the games will run out and we will be relegated.

I'd like to understand more about xg. From what I can tell it is a predictive metric calculated by a piece of software, but how does that software collect it's data? Ie how does it analyse how good a chance really is? Is it is AI or it is being told?

I thought it was AI but based on the stats Stacey west blog have had up a few times they've been very different to the xg posts on twitter shared above, which seems a bit confusing/ makes it harder to make many conclusions from it. I hadn't actually realised there was so much variation.

I think this is because some models interpret chances differently to others, I.e based on freeze frames that take into account defender positions or not etc.