Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham

Not been able to get to the last three home games so can’t really comment on what happened today, however from the reports sounds like another abject home performance. Really do’t know where we go from here as there will be no change in how we play. Unfortunately until we get the basics right with a strong defence that takes no prisoners nothing will change. We are very much in the doo doo with the trap door opening wider each week. The time for ”playing the right way” has gone. We need to become nasty bastards and quick if we are to save ourselves. I will be able to get to the remaining home games and will be giving the lads 100%. I just hope they will do the same. UTI 👊💥👏

Fiorini, Adelakun, Sorenson, Robson can’t get anywhere near the team at the moment and I don’t think anyone here was bemoaning the fact they were replaced. But now seems like halcyon days when they were playing! But if we’re to change the team these are the players we have to call on and not sure what frame of mind they would be in.

Well that was poor at a time when we were meant to stand up and be counted. Who or what can we blame, not injuries or a team of youngsters, that was a strong team that played today. Not the weather or the pitch as things were perfect for our football style. Can't blame a massive following in the Stacey West as some people seem to look for excuses. Can't blame Eyoma, Sorensen, Fiorini Adelekun or even Whittaker as these players were in the firing line a while ago. Confidence is a massive thing and we're about at the point of no return and a hammering by Wednesday next week is about what we're expecting. Appleton won't or can't change much now as the players we have can't execute a style they've been bought to play without trying to change at this point of the season. He needs to stand up and be counted, drop those that aren't up to the relegation battle ahead and send out a team of battlers. Limited options I know but let's not go down without a fight as we did on that last day against Aldershot. Some of those players that day didn't seem to care and one or two in this team are looking like that.

Wasn't there today due to Covid.

All I can say is, it's only a game. No-one died. No-one was displaced from their home by a crazed despot.

We lost a game of football. Please stop the pointless bickering. We will still all be Imps by mid-May ; whatever we're saying now.

Chill!

Give it a break Chimp! Here is one of your messages of wisdom from earlier in the season:

Pretty much spot on.

Our problems don't include a manager who doesn't know how to make a decent group of players into a good team.

The one saving grace is if we can ever get a full team of good L1 players on the pitch, we will soon look a different team with MA in charge.

That certainly won't be for a few weeks but we have the right people to make it happen.

At least we aren't going to get to February with nothing to play for.

It‘s only ageing well in the sense we still have plenty to play for... When will you realise Appleton is not the messiah?

It will not be for a good while yet.
Let's see how it ages by the end of the season. Feel free to post again if your wish comes true

oh what a shambles. No good moaning about possesion if there are no crosses shots or box entries. I was in coop 1 and watched the ball squirm from the grip of their goalie no it didn't go in he retrieved it on the line. Saw Scully pointing and swearing at various teammates not good.

Just listened to MApp interview. He sounds like a coach who is frustrated with players who are either not good enough or mentally strong enough. Unfortunately for him they are his players now but he does not seem to know what needs to be done when they don't respond. He also lacks any visible passion on the sidelines which, rightly or wrongly, the previous mgmt team had and galvanised the crowd.

I'm not sure sacking the manager now is the answer as who would you bring in ? I just hope we can scrape together another 15 points which should be enough to keep us up. Then decisions need to be made as to whether the squad and/or the mgmt team are good enough for pushing towards the top of the league or just sustaining L1 status. Clearly some of the contracted players we have need to go and the reliance on young loaness needs reviewing.

After 55 years of supporting the Imps I'm used to many many lows and dark days but we have a great foundation here and a board who are probably one of the best we have ever had. We still have a loyal support many teams in the league would love to have so i'm still enjoying the ride even though it's tough to see us perform so badly especially at home. UTI !

Most of our loan players were on the bench today, two in the starting line up and have too say that was our worst performance of the season.Fiorini been out of the side last 5 games and we took 4 points and lost too Donny and the Gills but loads have made him the scapegoat, now looking for other loan players too blame , the abuse of Whittaker is concerning not good at all,his confidence will be shot, Griffiths has done well for us but lots of abuse for him too,we should get behind all the players they are going to need us going forward

I said earlier in this thread that Appleton will not change the way the team plays. I also said that I was worried that we still don't have a plan b for when we need it and if things didn't go right today that we really don't want to hear the same old, same old and that he will sink or swim by the decisions he makes.

Today there was lots and lots of unhappy supporters at the end of game and were venting their disappointment towards the team and Appleton.

We carry on like this and simply we go down.

Appleton has said he won't change anything about how we play. Can we really afford to be playing like this for the next 14 games or whatever we have left.

Of course we can't, the last thing we need is to be getting relegated back to league 2 for a whole host of reasons.

The manager won't change his philosophy on the game, the managers philosophy, tactics, style of play isn't working and we're losing a lot more games than we're winning getting sucked closer and closer to the trapdoor.

What's the answer?

Over to you Clive....and the rest of the Board.

Do you stick or twist?

I said earlier in this thread that Appleton will not change the way the team plays. I also said that I was worried that we still don't have a plan b for when we need it and if things didn't go right today that we really don't want to hear the same old, same old and that he will sink or swim by the decisions he makes.

Today there was lots and lots of unhappy supporters at the end of game and were venting their disappointment towards the team and Appleton.

We carry on like this and simply we go down.

Appleton has said he won't change anything about how we play. Can we really afford to be playing like this for the next 14 games or whatever we have left.

Of course we can't, the last thing we need is to be getting relegated back to league 2 for a whole host of reasons.

The manager won't change his philosophy on the game, the managers philosophy, tactics, style of play isn't working and we're losing a lot more games than we're winning getting sucked closer and closer to the trapdoor.

What's the answer?

Over to you Clive....and the rest of the Board.

Do you stick or twist?

We’re getting close to the point where we might as well twist as stick. The long term plan is to have a crack at the championship. Unfortunately in an immensely short space of time little of the foundation built last season still remains. So, for Appleton to be replaced I don’t think we’re destroying much of a legacy. It also gives us a chance of preserving our league one status, which looks increasingly unlikely should things stay the same.

Absolutely correct. I watch from overseas on iPlayer, so can watch every game for a fraction of what the dedicated 8,000 have to pay to attend in person.

It is those 8,000, diehards or casual fans, that I feel very sorry for. The home displays have been abysmal for way too long.

Brendan - you have to feel for those paying customers, and understand that anything you read on here now is definitely not an over-reaction.
Thank you ,I am coming to the conclusion that there seems to be quite alot of snob value in attacking imps fans who "dare" to criticize . Does anyone else think this . ?

....and I don't think anybody has mentioned the two absolute sitters we missed in the first half when two great balls were flashed across the six yard box and on both occasions both players totally missed the ball when it was easier to score.

Plus the one Whittaker fluffed in the second half

We will win on Saturday against Sheffield Wednesday. Our results against the bottom teams is worse than poor this season. However when we play against other side's that play a similar style to us. We get better results.
AH yes you mean like Bolton !

Well some fans got what they wanted today and Griffiths came to collect a cross, he didn't make it and Oliver headed it in...

That was a very poor decision. In those cases you have to make contact or you're in trouble. He didn't even get close to the ball, despite the fact that he has the added arm reach. For Oliver to score from 12 yards out under defensive pressure would have been an incredible header had Griffiths stayed on his line.

It must be said that Oliver was superb and won everything in the air.

That was a very poor decision. In those cases you have to make contact or you're in trouble. He didn't even get close to the ball, despite the fact that he has the added arm reach. For Oliver to score from 12 yards out under defensive pressure would have been an incredible header had Griffiths stayed on his line.

It must be said that Oliver was superb and won everything in the air.

It's all about "dominating your box" and "taking pressure of the defence" apparently...

Thank you ,I am coming to the conclusion that there seems to be quite alot of snob value in attacking imps fans who "dare" to criticize . Does anyone else think this . ?

There are many happy clappers on this site but as I have said before this site represents a miniscule representation of our overall support.

There are many who can't see the wood for trees.

The trouble is that they think that Michael Appleton is their mate and will protect him because if they do that they're protecting the team aswell.

The way I always look at it is that Appleton is the Manager, a paid employee of the club, he is answerable to us the fans who are the lifeblood of the club and without us he doesn't have a job. His remit basically is to deliver performances and results and if he doesn't then I am as sure as hell going to let him know what I think but I will try and give as balanced opinion as possible which will also include praise when that is deserved.

Nobody is right or wrong because everyone's opinion should be respected.

Yes some people will try and shut you down with condescending sarcasm but never be afraid to say it exactly as you see it.