Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Gillingham

Of course with our budget we should have got the game on because Gillingham only pay their players £50 a week and their ground staff work for tea and biscuits and they would have got the game on!

I see in their local rag Evans was banging on about budgets again. Mind you reading some of the fan comments even they think he's like a stuck record and all blah blah blah!
He's been obsessed with our budget for over 20 years he ain't gonna change now.
We've cut our budget by 40%, so he's pleading poverty like he did at Boston until he got caught cooking the books the utter crook.

He's been obsessed with our budget for over 20 years he ain't gonna change now.
We've cut our budget by 40%, so he's pleading poverty like he did at Boston until he got caught cooking the books the utter crook.

I remember the shitfit he had when N’Guessan signed for us. Completely understandable that he’d want to sign for a proper league club, but poor Steve couldn’t cope with it.

I have a feeling that it is Brendan who is out for three weeks. I am missing the game but it may be even beneficial that sat is off too and we can get Covid boys back and some injuries closer to fitness. Not sure the club can build a new stadium on the flood plain to be honest!!

The Under 18 Cup match was postponed for similar reason a few weeks back, after all the costly work on the pitch in the last two years makes you wonder whats going on, but sat here in dry Norfolk dont know what the situation is in Lincoln.
I suspect the U18 game was cancelled to preserve it rather than there being an issue.

I remember the shitfit he had when N’Guessan signed for us. Completely understandable that he’d want to sign for a proper league club, but poor Steve couldn’t cope with it.
I can remember those comments, questioning whether we did any scouting or just waited for him to sign players then pinch them. I think DNG was the only one and he wasn't even their player!

I wasn't too surprised the game was cancelled. The ground is absolutely saturated at the minute, the snow last week won't have helped and after battering it down last night, it rained again today after a short dry spell.

From a squad point of view, it gets more training into Morgan, Anderson and McGrandles. Montsma will probably be ok for the weekend and maybe Hopper, Walsh and Jones, too.

We would have wanted tonight on, though. We have enough versatility in the squad.

For those football pitch experts, is there not a way of having drainage under a pitch that prevents waterlogging?

Something akin to the pitch acting like a colander and letting all excess water through easily into a draining system below ?

I'm no pitch expert but I suspect it's more the sodden nature of the subsoil that comes after consistent or sudden rainfall that prevents it draining as well as it ordinarily would.

I'm no pitch expert but I suspect it's more the sodden nature of the subsoil that comes after consistent or sudden rainfall that prevents it draining as well as it ordinarily would.

I am no landscaping expert (so feel free to shoot this down) but how hard would it be to erect a series of canvas waterproof tents that are angled to direct rainfall into a gutter/drainage system that runs along side and around the pitch and ultimately away from the turf? Think a series of Wimbledon covers that are peaked in the center - maybe 6-8 are needed to cover the pitch.

Perhaps this could work as a relatively low-cost solution for L1 and L2 teams. There could be quite a pretty penny to be made if a company established itself manufacturing and installing this low-tech solution to this particular sporting problem. If effective it could easily be presented to other sporting venues.

It was transferred to Preston to get the game on. The pitch has been relayed x2 at least over the few years and still problems.
Pitches get re-laid due to wear and tear, they don't last forever. A brand new pitch doesn't make it immune to waterlogging.

I am no landscaping expert (so feel free to shoot this down) but how hard would it be to erect a series of canvas waterproof tents that are angled to direct rainfall into a gutter/drainage system that runs along side and around the pitch and ultimately away from the turf? Think a series of Wimbledon covers that are peaked in the center - maybe 6-8 are needed to cover the pitch.
I suppose the answer would be, where would the water go? If the ground is saturated and the surrounding drainage system is overflowing (i.e. Sincil Drain), the water has nowhere to go. This has been a longstanding problem in the vicinity of Sincil Bank - there was a discussion over it a few years ago.

For the mega rich building modern stadiums in the future it wouldn't surprise me if they built some sort of hydraulic pan to raise or lower pitch level as necessary.
The technology can't be far off now I would have thought if Spurs have incorporated a removable pitch into their new venture.

Looking at the highlights there were some sticky dogs played on last night that must have been borderline.

I suppose the answer would be, where would the water go? If the ground is saturated and the surrounding drainage system is overflowing (i.e. Sincil Drain), the water has nowhere to go. This has been a longstanding problem in the vicinity of Sincil Bank - there was a discussion over it a few years ago.

This may be a tall story, but Reg (now long gone sadly) who used to sit behind me in St Anrews red section, said that the pitch drains mainly, not towards the sincil drain, but in the opposite direction under the training pitch. This drainage route was seriously affected when the present St Andrews stand was built in 87/88.

In the last few years I believe something has been done regarding this drainage issue, whether that was diverting towards the more obvious route to the drain or something else I don't know, but it does seem to be less often that we have had games called off.