Match Thread: Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic

I can understand the 5 at the back, but we don't have players to play as wing backs and midfield is weak already. That was poor. Both teams deserved to lose!

Another thing I meant to add I was thinking and general opinion two poor teams, but I’ve heard and thought the same nearly every home game so maybe we need to reevaluate the standard of L1

I don't know if it's the tactics or the player but seeing Jackson overhit pass after pass to our strikers again was terrible to watch. He's been part of a team that has passed it out from the back for ages so it does seem to be the manager's philosophy. I'm surprised that we seem to have completely abandoned our passing philosophy and with a no risk option when our centre backs have the ball. Some fans were miffed when Joey Barton called us a long ball team, but we are.
Don’t see it personally, but then my definition of a long ball team is Wimbledon in their prime or us under Beck or Keith.
But I’m not sure what you expect when most of the crowd start moaning after two consecutive square passes

Last week I was at Bolton and was bored stiff with our lacklustre effort (waste of time & money). This week I’m on holiday in Greece and delighted not to have missed an entertaining & handsome win. A nil nil festival of dullsville is ideal for me! However, I want to be entertained next Saturday Thank you!

Hope you didn't miss the game at Bristol a few weeks back!

Look I’ve been at Sincil Bank on a wet Tuesday evening in February where we had 1200 in the ground. So it’s all about perspective. We have had 9000 plus imps in recently so I just speculatively asked if attendance was dropping. It’s not holiday season. if I remember correctly we have over 5000 season tickets holders. I wouldn’t compare us under ant circumstances to Forest Green in the village of Nailsworth with a population of 6000. I live an hour away.

Anyway i’m pleased we are a credible League 1 team and it’s early days for MK.

Today's train strike could have caused a few to stay away

I thought Robson looked a man on a mission when he got on for the last 20. Roughan has kept him out a while. Competition doing him no harm.

It's a very weird feeling at the moment. On the one hand, we're quite good at defending, and because of that, we're going to be fine in League One, and being fine in League One is a good position for is to be in.

On the other hand, it's an entertainment sport and that was very poor going forward for the second week running. Diamond is the only player who brings any dynamism or excitement. I'm not expecting liquid football every week but we just need something to get behind.

It's not an entertainment sport- it's a results sport. Some of the "quality" of football under the Cowley's was dire, shockingly bad. Did we care? No. because we won more than lost.

We never really came to life until the two periods of extra time at the end of each half.

An incredibly boring game of passing for the sake of it coupled with the fact that we do not have the players to play 5 - 3 - 2 as an attacking force. If we play that formation it's because we don't want to get beat , not that we are going to attack teams down our flanks and get quality balls into the box.

How many times did you see our 'wingbacks', Eyoma and Roughan bombing down the flanks, taking people on and getting quality balls into the box? Answer. You didn't because they are not wingbacks, they not capable of doing that, its not their game.

And even if we got into a crossing position we just didn't cross the ball. No prizes for guessing why really with the monsters they had at the back.

We had absolutely nothing to offer as an attacking force. Honestly the two centre backs for them were not put under one ounce of pressure the whole game and the only player we had who looked like they could of was Diamond but as much as he was trying things weren't really running for him today.

If Kennedy wants to play 5 at the back then he has to address the right and left back positions because Eyoma and Roughan are definitely part of the problem not part of the answer in that formation.

Up front as well we are incredibly lightweight. We created one decent chance in the whole 90 odd minutes and their keeper did make a good save from it.
That's not really good enough and it is worrying me the lack of options we have up front going forward.

Hope you didn't miss the game at Bristol a few weeks back!
As it happens, I did miss the Bristol game due to work commitments, my tough luck. I did see the Derby game though so I know that we can entertain, thrill and leave supporters wanting more. Roll on to Ipswich with hope in my heart, along with several hundred others.

Don’t see it personally, but then my definition of a long ball team is Wimbledon in their prime or us under Beck or Keith.
But I’m not sure what you expect when most of the crowd start moaning after two consecutive square passes
I understand what you are saying. But when it starts being 6 or 7 backwards and sideways passes followed by an hopeful punt up pitch. And then this sequence is repeated again and again and again. Fans have a right to moan I personally felt it was putrid today and felt that I have lost a couple of hours of my life today. However I will be there at the next home match and all those following I hope. But those fans who are not season ticket holders or die hards will be thinking twice about how they spend their shrinking finances, and that is a worry for the club.

I said it a few weeks ago, but it just doesn’t feel like we have any identity yet. Hopefully that will come, but apart from Derby and the first half against Fleetwood the home form has been performance wise pretty poor affairs.

Still fingers crossed for the bums off seat stuff…

It's not an entertainment sport- it's a results sport. Some of the "quality" of football under the Cowley's was dire, shockingly bad. Did we care? No. because we won more than lost.

You can't be a piss poor football team and win matches.

We won matches under the Cowleys because we had a well constructed, balanced, organised team. It was all round pegs in round holes.

We had good players all of who were the right age with good loan signings who all knew what was expected of them and I don't know one person who would consider some of the football played under the Cowleys as dire and shockingly bad.

We won two leagues and a EFL cup final under them and got to the quater final of the FA Cup....we couldn't of playing that bad a brand of football.

To be fair, I did witness some games under Beck that we won, but felt gipped because it certainly wasn't football or entertainment...lol.

It felt strange at times today. Atmosphere was flat, game was boring and we were awful for most of the time.
On the other hand we were defending ok, kept a clean sheet and we are still unbeaten at home.

We looked like it was us away from home today and playing for a draw. We didn't have any plan going forward, struggled to even exchange few passes. Plenty of bad touches and bad decisions too.

What we did ok was defensive bit which was helped I think by playing three centre backs. Thanks to that we were able to cope with their big forwards. Downside is obviously lack of the wing backs which was evident.

Bag of mixed feelings really. We were pretty far from being good, so were they and the game was rubbish but I do respect this point.

Last edited:

We won matches under the Cowleys because we had a well constructed, balanced, organised team. It was all round pegs in round holes.

We had good players all of who were the right age with good loan signings who all knew what was expected of them and I don't know one person who would consider some of the football played under the Cowleys as dire and shockingly bad.

We won two leagues and a EFL cup final under them and got to the quater final of the FA Cup....we couldn't of playing that bad a brand of football.

Maybe the lovely Admin of this website could post a flavour of the opinion after games against the likes of Stevenage and Crawley at home. I reckons it’s odds on it’ll be almost identical to the posts in this thread. Not that it makes a blind bit of difference, but fans across the land from Man City to Brechin City will probably moan about a nil all home draw.

For the level, probably the lowest quality game I can remember watching. No quality on display from either side. We were shit, they were shit, the crowd was shit, the first ref was shit. We’ll be really lucky if there are 4 worse sides than us on that display. Charlton may be one, but given they were the away side, I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. Think it was one shot during the 90 minutes against a team that hadn’t won in the previous 7. Absolute wank.

Who said anything about being "bad"- the quality of the football was dire at times, the results were good and the players were good. Even our historic Wembley win was something, as a game, I can only remember for Whitehouses goal and Rhead's forearm smash. Other than that, it was a poor game BUT we won. And that was all that mattered. Nothing to do with being a bad team- however the quality, or absence of quality performances, didn't matter if we kept winning.

I remember freezing my nuts off in the L2 winning season at Stevenage (december time)- diabolical game, we won with an Akinde penalty. Cowley gave the away fans MOTM, the quality on display that game was that poor BUT we won 1-0....and that is all that matters.

Winning makes the brain forget. I saw us play better last season (Owls at home, Cambridge and Charlton away) than I ever saw us play under the Cowleys. Only results matter- entertainment doesn't.

Back home. Will catch up but...

We've all been to 0-0 draws which were end to end games which have been cracking entertainment.

That wasn't today. A game which if it was a mid-table match on the last Saturday of April we wouldn't have been surprised as to how it went.

Some positives though. The defence certainly looks more solid with what essentially was a back 5 today, but that was possibly helped by Charlton's final balls being shocking today. Also we would have lost that game 1-0 in the 95th minute last season so little bits of things to take away.

Creativity though was very much lacking on both sides and that really led to a no event.

Still to keep with the positives unbeaten at home still in the league