Match Thread: Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Charlton Athletic

FT. Two awful teams played out a drab draw. They could have played all night and not scored. The lack of attacking quality stood out terribly. We tried to construct some really good moves through the midfield, but the quality in the final third was woefully lacking. There were numerous chances to play an imaginative reverse pass or through-ball behind a defender, but it either didn’t happen or nobody took the initiative and made a run to try and break through. Plenty of huff and puff but no quality. The defence did their job and the main problems Rushworth had all day was his first half dropped ball and Regan’s second half over-hit backpass. We really need to have a lot more imagination in the final third and a lot more bravery to take players on and have a go at goal. Charlton were there for the taking, but not playing like that.

If we play that formation at home we need quicker full backs or better players on the ball at CB. Too many long hope(less)ful balls hoofed up field, and too many backward passes. Still... clean sheet.

Had to leave so missed the last 20 minutes but it sounds like it was the same as the rest of the match so maybe not so bad. Still another point towards the important 50. Have a great weekend Imps.

Which is pretty decent isnt it?
Look I’ve been at Sincil Bank on a wet Tuesday evening in February where we had 1200 in the ground. So it’s all about perspective. We have had 9000 plus imps in recently so I just speculatively asked if attendance was dropping. It’s not holiday season. if I remember correctly we have over 5000 season tickets holders. I wouldn’t compare us under ant circumstances to Forest Green in the village of Nailsworth with a population of 6000. I live an hour away.

Anyway i’m pleased we are a credible League 1 team and it’s early days for MK.

If we play that formation at home we need quicker full backs or better players on the ball at CB. Too many long hope(less)ful balls hoofed up field, and too many backward passes. Still... clean sheet.

We’ve been doing the long hopeful balls up front for a while now. I just don’t get it. They seem targeted to the wing, but it just doesn’t suit our players and we rarely keep the ball. It is infuriating.

Last edited:
That must have been the worst game of football I’ve seen for a few years. Both teams were dreadful with Charlton having the majority of possession but not knowing what to do with it, although when we did have possession we seemed to try and give it back immediately. Good to see Danny start and he had our best chance in the first half.
In the end it was a clean sheet and definitely a good point to gain especially with two very tough games coming up.
🤞 for next week.

It's a very weird feeling at the moment. On the one hand, we're quite good at defending, and because of that, we're going to be fine in League One, and being fine in League One is a good position for is to be in.

On the other hand, it's an entertainment sport and that was very poor going forward for the second week running. Diamond is the only player who brings any dynamism or excitement. I'm not expecting liquid football every week but we just need something to get behind.

Last week I was at Bolton and was bored stiff with our lacklustre effort (waste of time & money). This week I’m on holiday in Greece and delighted not to have missed an entertaining & handsome win. A nil nil festival of dullsville is ideal for me! However, I want to be entertained next Saturday Thank you!

Just saw a Charlton fan as I got home (now worried about my neighbours) he was happy with a point away from home but reckoned two poor teams, which on today’s display couldn’t argue with. Must admit didn’t expect Charlton to play in that style and can’t see having long term success with that approach.
If we’re going to persist with this formation then work to be done on attacking play.
On a positive note, I reckon last season we might have lost 1-0 to a late goal. Also I think our fitness was better we finished stronger and they had players with cramp

I don't know if it's the tactics or the player but seeing Jackson overhit pass after pass to our strikers again was terrible to watch. He's been part of a team that has passed it out from the back for ages so it does seem to be the manager's philosophy. I'm surprised that we seem to have completely abandoned our passing philosophy and with a no risk option when our centre backs have the ball. Some fans were miffed when Joey Barton called us a long ball team, but we are.