Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bury | Page 20 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bury

at this stage it might be better bringing chapman on, into a game we are controlling, rather than starting him. i think the fact he is being considered highlights the lack of anyone else that is comfortable playing down the left side of midfield.

and toffolo doesn't look like a great defender to me. he needs lots of support down that side. we have given the opposition so many chances in these first four games. fine margins but we could easily have had one point rather than ten. i think we have been fortunate that nptn, swindon, grimsby and bury have not really had a decent striker between them.

issues which notts, with boldewyn v v good down their right, and quality finishers dennis stead hemmings could easily expose on saturday.

when i saw the pre match line up i was shocked and with bostwick in the back 4 and the other experienced holding midfielder o connor benched plus Freck ,who has not been prominent lately then the young lad was going to have to put in a big performance with no l2 experience.

sadly plenty of other players were below par and he got hooked.

checkatrade or carabao or facup still available to play in for this lad.

Likewise when I saw the lineup, I was worried. Surely we are not rotating the squad that much after only a few games. I wonder how fit this squad is ? I fear a lot are carrying knocks of some kind and a couple not match fit e.g. Akinde. With Eardley picking up an injury it could be down to the bones on Saturday unless a few have recovered.

the style is now more fluent. covering the extra ground seems like the issue to me with 'fitness'. we are playing more of the passing game, which requires players to be constantly on the move - to make space to receive passes. players with better ability on the ball means there are more, and longer periods of play between stoppages. when the opposition are also doing this - like bury did last night, and it is humid august weather, and the grass is long/lush it is a big ask.

contrast last season. rhead would be going down, winning or giving away free kicks every minute or so. green offside or doing niggly fouls, and the ball would be pinging around in the air and going out for goal kicks and throws much more. loads more time to recover energy with that stop/start-style football.

at this stage it might be better bringing chapman on, into a game we are controlling, rather than starting him. i think the fact he is being considered highlights the lack of anyone else that is comfortable playing down the left side of midfield.

and toffolo doesn't look like a great defender to me. he needs lots of support down that side. we have given the opposition so many chances in these first four games. fine margins but we could easily have had one point rather than ten. i think we have been fortunate that nptn, swindon, grimsby and bury have not really had a decent striker between them.

issues which notts, with boldewyn v v good down their right, and quality finishers dennis stead hemmings could easily expose on saturday.
Thank fully their backline is awful.

My teenaged daughter's post match view of the game walking back to the car, 'Dad that was s***!' Bless!

Weird I've seen 4 games this season, we've played poorly in 3 of them, but we're unbeaten and 2nd in the table. I can't work it out really, will our luck break and we get a hammering or will we hit form and dish out a hammering. Can't add much to the other comments, not sure how many changes are forced, how many tactical, we do have a few in the squad whose workload needs managing so expect rotation through the season

Thought it was a classic case last night of not taking your chances when you are on top. We have done it frequently and Bury did it last night. 1-0 is always a dodgy score to hold onto especially away from home, and all it needed was a bit of luck with the pen, and another chance to win it was bound to follow, it did and we took it. The same will happen to us this season so thanks for the three points and no apologies for taking them.
Their 11 Chris Dagnall has still got it, looked dangerous all game, aways wished we had been able to get him when he was at Rochdale, maybe a northern bloke. Some good footi played last night by both sides, decent advert for Div 2. UTI.

Wonder if the formation and players picked etc was more down to setting up to what we expected Bury to do, ie sit back a bit. When they didn't we stuck it to half time then changed our approach.

Weird I've seen 4 games this season, we've played poorly in 3 of them, but we're unbeaten and 2nd in the table. I can't work it out really, will our luck break and we get a hammering or will we hit form and dish out a hammering. Can't add much to the other comments, not sure how many changes are forced, how many tactical, we do have a few in the squad whose workload needs managing so expect rotation through the season

I'd agree, we've certainly had the rub of the green. Saturday, could be telling. County will obviously be looking to get some points after their poor start. They have let in 10 goals in the last three league games.
Just hope we settle things down a bit, who knows what we'll get Sat?

Last edited:
For me we haven't been bad in 3 games out of 4 but have had good periods and bad periods in each game, even against Swindon there was a part of the game before the subs when they were on top.

We haven't played well and dominated for 90 minutes in a game. We are inconsistent in matches. it's a tough league with good teams who will have their share of the play. DC asked for time for it to gel so to take 10/12 points so early has been a great effort.

To add I thought Bury looked a decent side, but you do pay the price of sitting back at 1-0. Their centre forward was everything Akinde seems not to be at the moment (apart from he can't take pens) was winning headers, holding the ball and a real handful to our defence).

Just belatedly looking what the Bury fans said, seems the guy I was admiring is just signed from Whitehawk

Didn't look like a sending off to me either.

Was the cf the Gold lad who we were also reported to be looking at?