Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bury | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bury

Need to find a settled starting XI for league games as that is the only way we will gel. Pett should start, so should McCartan, so should Wharton (if fit) with Bossie in mf. Not too sure about the forwards but inclined to keep Akinde as sub for now.

Thought Chapman played well but did a lot of passing the ball backwards
Not the only one going backwards, he showed good awareness and made some good passes, mixed with some poor decision making and execution but that's to be expected from a young player making his full league debut. Other more experienced players had similar or worse games, he was sacrificed at ht for overall poor team performance and the need to change shape. .

Need to find a settled starting XI for league games as that is the only way we will gel. Pett should start, so should McCartan, so should Wharton (if fit) with Bossie in mf. Not too sure about the forwards but inclined to keep Akinde as sub for now.

Agree with all that except on Akinde. Think he’s the perfect front man for the first 65-70 mins, and then Green on to run tired defenders’ legs ragged for the last quarter.

Worked a treat against Swindon.

Also looks like we have an injury in the one position we have no cover for, at Right Back. Hopefully Eardley will have recovered in time for the weekend.

Anderson was fine in the wing-back role with 3 at the back against Vale. It could be we see 3 across the back on Saturday.

i haven't seen one decent ball through for akinde yet, or a decent cross for him to attack. the only goal from open play he made himself. a quick look at his showreel and it is clear to see where he is at his most dangerous.

I think 80% of his touches for us have been with his back to goal too

OS still showing McCartan as scorer (also BBC etc) although the match report correctly credits Freck. Is this a case of functionality/feed from the site supplier being unnoticed of cannot be overwritten locally?

i haven't seen one decent ball through for akinde yet, or a decent cross for him to attack. the only goal from open play he made himself. a quick look at his showreel and it is clear to see where he is at his most dangerous.

Not sure about the point about "decent cross". I thought immediately after Matt Rhead went off there were two crosses which were perfect for him and I think he would buried one or both of them.

I think Rhead is substantially better in the air but lacks other things which a younger more mobile Akinde can offer.

Morph them both together and you'd have a Championship player!

UTI !

Very poor for 70 minutes and somehow pulled a win out of the bag. How many misplaced passes were there from City tonight? I lost count but they showed real guts and tenacity to keep going and get there in the end.

Only players to emerge with credit for me were Pett, Freck and Smith, although McCartan did okay in his cameo. Shackell and Bostwick were poor at the back, while Eardley and Toffolo were not much better.

Surprised to see Rheady start and he was largely ineffective while Chapman showed some promise early on but dwelt on the ball too often and seemed to sink into his shell.

But it is another win and we are second while some of the other big guns continue to falter. Onwards and upwards.

Well we've had 3 poor games 2 away & 1 home but still managed to come away with 7 pts out of 9.
And that's what good teams seem to manage to do regularly.

Pett was excellent again. So pleased he has turned out not to be Billy Knott MkII. He's not quite Woodyard, but he gives energy in the midifield that isn't coming from anywhere else.

I, too, am really pleased for Tom Pett.

One thing I will say when comparing him to Woodyard, is that he looks to make forward passes more often.

I wonder if Michael Bostwick and Pett in the centre of midfield might be a good option. There are so many ponderables it's mind-boggling!

UTI !

OS still showing McCartan as scorer (also BBC etc) although the match report correctly credits Freck. Is this a case of functionality/feed from the site supplier being unnoticed of cannot be overwritten locally?

I believe the majority of sites use OPTA now and it doesn't look like they have updated it as most are still showing McCartan as the scorer.

Where do I start? It is strange typing what I am about to type when we are unbeaten and top of the league (wake me up there.)

We are quite obviously (royal we) unsure of which formation suits us. We are top because the players we have are able to withstand what comes our way and lift us for a few moments.

I have only watched the 2 homes games but so far:

Our midfield is a mess. It struggles to cover for defence and teams cut straight through us with ease.

In the second half we played traditional 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and probably another 20 formations (exaggerating) trying to find something that works.

What can we take from this?

McCartan is quite probably the best player in this league. The moment he came on they were scared and we looked a much quicker team.

Akinde is the coolest penalty taker.

Frecklingon (after 2 viewings) is keeping his place purely because of who he is and what that means. Apart from his goal (and a chance shortly before) he was so anonynmous.

The great thing though is................we "DON'T KNOW WHAT WE'RE DOING" yet we are top...............because the boys in charge have bought us a lot of quality that can actually produce wins.

That might sound very negative but for me it is a positive. Quite obvoiusly we now have a sensational squad. We just need now to find the right formation and stick with it.

Felt sorry for Chapman. He looked good first 20 or so minutes but they managed to push him wide and pressure him and get him out of the game. He will learn. First 20 mins he looked very good for a young 'un..

Last edited:
p.s. Home crowd were very quite (super quiet) including me. Was very very hot and sweaty and after a single round of each chant people just couldn't be bothered. (bothered is the wrong word but I can't think of a more appropriate one at the moment)

Last edited:
I think 80% of his touches for us have been with his back to goal too

Akinde is not Rhead. Rhead flicks on with head, chest or feet. Akinde holds the ball up or "flicks" backward". We need the team to learn this and someone always follow the ball so when Akinde chests it back they get the second ball.

We have become far too used to Rhead who plays ball forwards rather than "hold the ball up."

I just feel at the minute as everything is Saturday/Tuesday that we are trying to rotate to keep everyone fresh but at the detriment of continuity. It might benefit us longer term.

It’s a fine balance, performances in the last 2 haven’t been great but arguably we would have taken 4 / 6.