Match Thread: Lincoln City v Burton Albion | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Burton Albion

Well if we have no available striker because we decided to replace injured ones with another who can't play then I can't see this being too good window šŸ˜‰

But yeah, totally agree with you that there is lot more quality in this team than this dross we play suggests. It would be waste to fight the drop with this squad but this where we're heading.

I was and I am pro Kennedy but he doesn't do much to support my stance recently. We are getting beaten far too often. Defence not as solid as it was last season and up front there still nothing like it was. This ,,hard to beat'' thing start falling apart too. Worrying. Very worrying.

Definitely agree with that about having no back up for House/Walker - apart from signing a loan player who may never be fit to play for us. That to me was a big mistake. Saying that might be hindsight of course, but with Walker's injury record?

The problem though is with MK's tactical shortcomings. We have five wingers in our squad - Reeco, Adelakun, Danny (not for a while, rightly), Duffy, and Shodipo - but MK doesn't play with wingers and never has. Even though with the players he has available, he should be doing!

The players are clearly frustrated (especially the Ethans), the fans are frustrated. Eventually the investors will be too.

A very poor and tough watch this afternoon, neither side were very good. The main difference was that whilst Burton had wingers with pace in wide areas who were willing to try and take players on, we effectively had central players out wide, who don't have pace and can't take a man on.

It was a nothing game up until the red card. Thought we played a little better when we went down to ten men. Ok, Burton sat back a little and were happy to take the 1-0 win but, and some might like me saying this, MK's tactical switch straight after the red actually brought us more joy (albeit from a low starting point) even if we couldn't carve anything concrete out. He pushed Burroughs and Sorenson really high, pinned their wing backs and in possession was more 3-2-4.

A couple of worrying signs for me today, though. Body language of some players was off IMO. I think some of that was down to misunderstandings, for example, anyone passing to Burroughs didn't seem to know where he was going to be because he didn't fully commit to a ball between the wing back and centre back and didn't hold his ground for a pass either. He was caught in two minds all afternoon. In the final minutes, Jackson was, rightly, having a pop at Jenson for 'doing a Farman' as I call it and looping a kick that rarely gets to the halfway line. From an attacking point of view, I can't really see what we are or spot what we're trying to do and overall, that's actually been generally a common theme under MK full stop. It's all in fits and spurts. I could understand trying to change something the front three of Mandy, Bishop and Reeco but that kicks the latter two out of their positions. The latter in particular is much better in wide areas. Adelakun might have had a niggle or something, which is why he didn't play but through choice, I'm not sure how we can do anything other than Mandy, Hakeeb and Reeco as the front three at the minute.

On paper, today wasn't a bad side at all that was out there and that's the other concern. It was certainly of better quality that we saw today albeit Burton out of possession were 6-3-1 with 3 sitting midfielders and that's difficult to break down. It's all very flat and cautious on the pitch and it's now seeping into the stands and fanbase. I'm not calling for anyone's head by the way, it's just an observation. The two Ethan's tried to make something happen, as did Mandy, but when you look up and there's no pace in behind and no runs being made then what you can do other than try and keep possession and pass backwards?

Burton were no better or worse than us. A little more threatening at times due to their pace in forward areas but really, that was a drab and forgetful 0-0 type game before the red card.

And another set piece conceded, too...!

Itā€˜s time for the team to show both grit and imagination on the pitch.
That imagination starts on the training ground and in the coaching done there.

These players look increasingly disillusioned with the total lack of imagination they are being asked to use. They look as bored playing this ultra negative brand of football as the majority of us are watching it.

The imagination needs to come.from the manager and coaches by trying some different players or at least a different formation as 1) we are just playing the same way we would do if we had a striker on the pitch (& we don't); and 2) teams are very quickly working out that if they shut our wings back down then they remove all our threat, creativity and chance of winning.

Also, relying on nothing more than a long throw is hardly imaginative or a Plan B.

At my dads having a fish supper which is the highlight of the day. Annoyed with that performance. I donā€™t feel in the mood to properly dissect it until I get home tomorrow other than to ask if itā€™s allowed to give a 0 on the rate the players thread as one player will get that from me

Kennedy saying in his post match interview that he was possibly most happy and content he has been on sidelines up until red card is seriously worrying.

That was dire.

Mandriou just seemed to be playing for himself then got a stupid red.

Hackett has had some good performances out wide, I like him, but heā€™s not a centre forward. Need to stick with Adelekun until a forward is fit, looks better at holding it up and bringing others into game than Hackett.

And why canā€™t we defend corners!? We have the right sort of players.

We have some talent in the squad and will be real shame if we donā€™t get best from them players.

What is the thing with the set pieces? With three solid centre halves on the pitch too and a team set up to be hard to beat and organised, can't be giving up this many. Few other 6 foot plus players on the pitch.

It felt like we barely conceded any from set pieces or just balls into the box generally last season.

Is it a Poole factor as the best organiser? A bit unlucky? Element of returning to the mean (should have conceded more from them last season)? Changes in the backline? Less time on them in training?

How long can the board allow MK to continue to get away with these negative tactics. He has already driven 1500 fans away. Itā€™s abysmal

I think this is quite pertinent. We will lose games and have disappointing runs, but we are so boring.

Even the win against Cheltenham the other week was turgid.

People won't keep paying good money to be bored out of their minds for 90 minutes, especially when winter sets in.

Like everyone else, I thought that was pretty poor with little flair, lacking in inventiveness and with no cutting edge.
Because Iā€™m a season ticket holder, I will be at the next home fixture, full of hope and optimism. However, after that performance, if I was required to buy a match ticket, parting with another Ā£24 plus travel etc, would I bother? Hmmm. I doubt it. Letā€™s see what happens at Fleetwood!

I know Burton didn't look a great side, but tactically they got it spot on. They sat back first half and let us have the ball, knowing we didn't have the plarers to do anything with it. By doing that they also totally negated our full backs getting forward.

Second half they went forward a bit more and dominated until Adelakin caused them a few problems with his long throws and a couple of good runs.

We were totally out-coached and out-thought, and our players knew it after the first half hour.

Kennedy saying in his post match interview that he was possibly most happy and content he has been on sidelines up until red card is seriously worrying.

That was dire.

Mandriou just seemed to be playing for himself then got a stupid red.

Hackett has had some good performances out wide, I like him, but heā€™s not a centre forward. Need to stick with Adelekun until a forward is fit, looks better at holding it up and bringing others into game than Hackett.

And why canā€™t we defend corners!? We have the right sort of players.

We have some talent in the squad and will be real shame if we donā€™t get best from them players.
I couldnā€™t agree more, investment has brought us a decent squad for many years. Jimmy Walker hit the nail on the head for me in his post match summary ā€œPlaying with the safety catch onā€ thatā€™s how its been from day dot.

Last edited:
I know Burton didn't look a great side, but tactically they got it spot on. They sat back first half and let us have the ball, knowing we didn't have the plarers to do anything with it. By doing that they also totally negated our full backs getting forward.

Second half they went forward a bit more and dominated until Adelakin caused them a few problems with his long throws and a couple of good runs.

We were totally out-coached and out-thought, and our players knew it after the first half hour.

Thing is, they've beaten us 4 times in a row now doing exactly the same stuff...

Sadly, the only team that beat us today was ourselves, through one player's moment of madness and comical defending at a corner kick. Burton must be pinching themselves at their good fortune as this game had nil nil all over it.

Apparently we managed the game well, apart from 5 minutes after the red card and would have won with 11 men.

Nothing much to add to that. I'll wait for Chimps positive spin.

Despite 6 without loss, Burton were bang average at best, we weren't close to average.

I got wet going into the stadium, and then spent 90 odd minutes watching 22 drips trying to play football.
Easily the worst game of football I have watched in a very long time

Let's hope our next two home games which are mid week evening games are going to offer some better entertainment than today.
If not I expect to see more empty seats starting to appear as winter kicks in

I haven't listened to his interview yet, but if that is what he said that is a sign of a manager who is totally out of his depth.

MK has never been great at interviews. I stopped listening to them long ago because Iā€™m not sure he ever says what he genuinely thinks.