Match Thread: Lincoln City v Burton Albion | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Burton Albion

Six months ago we played the Brewers (last season) at home and were frustratingly beaten 1-0. In fact the Brewers were probably a bogey team as we were awful in the Boxing day away at the Pirelli.

Today was not a lot different to April last season against Burton. Frustrating again.

Firstly, Burton played 6-3-1 when we had possession. And the "3" played in the holding role. When they had possession they reverted to 4-3-3. Two ways you can counter that defence in depth is fast transition out through the thirds or long direct over the top (again fast out from the back). We didn't really do either.

First half was very comfortable- too comfortable. When you are faced with 6-3-1 every time you have the ball, the challenge is not to play the ball across your own line but to quickly work through the thirds. We looked too comfortable because there was little threat from Albion (who were, just for the record, unbeaten in 6...now make that 7) to press us much beyond the half way line.

As the half went on, we began to move the ball quicker and created opportunities (or at least half opportunities) but nothing more. To be honest, at half time, I didn't see us losing but wasn't sure we would see a win either.

Second half was no different. Mandroiu seeing red for a reckless scissor tackle, off the floor on 55 mins. Probably a red from where I was sat. From that freekick they won a corner, from that corner they scored via Burroughs OG. Other than that, the fact we had 10 didn't really make much difference. Albion continued with the 6-3-1 out of possession so the overall advantage of 1 extra player hardly told. Indeed I'd go so far as to say we were more threatening with 10 than with 11 but we were chasing the game then.

Disappointing result, disappointing performance. Happens in football. Burton are not a poor side (you don't get to 7 unbeaten in L1 by being poor) and you don't have poor players transitioning as smoothly from 4-3-3 (or at points 4-5-1) to 6-3-1 when out of possession. They had a game plan, they played it to a "T".

Next week's game at Fleetwood now has a little bit of extra spice- nil points in October so far after 3 games (I've not seen whether the Orient game is to be replayed) but still have 4 games to play.

7 points off relegation, 5 points off play-off.

Poor day today- it's football.

As for Mandroiu- there is clearly something amiss. Obvious to anyone at Posh last week and today. He has an inherent talent but may end up being a player who never realises his true potential- reminds me of Marcus Maddison (ex Posh). Talent in abundance but never got over his own attitude. We will have to see,

Last edited:
Kennedy saying in his post match interview that he was possibly most happy and content he has been on sidelines up until red card is seriously worrying.

That was dire.

Mandriou just seemed to be playing for himself then got a stupid red.

Hackett has had some good performances out wide, I like him, but he’s not a centre forward. Need to stick with Adelekun until a forward is fit, looks better at holding it up and bringing others into game than Hackett.

And why can’t we defend corners!? We have the right sort of players.

We have some talent in the squad and will be real shame if we don’t get best from them players.
it’s time for Kennedy and George to go. Kennedy doesn’t seem to be able to manage the players he has available, and George is unable to acquire players who can get of the treatment table.

Last edited:
Yep really poor today. The complete lack of quality/understanding from the forward 4 or 5 is really reaching crisis level and something fundamental needs to change.

As for Mandroiu- there is clearly something amiss. Obvious to anyone at Posh last week and today. He has an inherent talent but may end up being a player who never realises his true potential- reminds me of Marcus Maddison (ex Posh). Talent in abundance but never got over his own attitude. We will have to see,
Going back a bit (as I usually do) - reminds me of Brendan Bradley. Perhaps he'll go back to Irish football and break all sorts of records.

As I said earlier I am not in the Mk should go camp(yet).
I haven't seen or heard his interview but if what has been quoted on here that he was happy and content with what he saw up to the red card is true then i may well be changing my mind. He should have come out apologising for such a pathetic performance. It seems his regulation interview is usually to say we were the team in charge first half and somehow lost our way in second half.
The fans are going to lose heart quickly if this continues and I can't see people giving up their time and money to come out in winter weather to be totally bored rigid.
It seems to me that we are playing an ultra defensive game to try and scratch together as many points as we can until xmas or whenever are injured players come back to miraculously turn things around. Once you dig a hole it isn't always easy to climb out of it though. Our Board have invested a lot of time and money into the club and are astute business men. They don't appear to have knee jerk reactions like most football boards but can't see them taking their eye of the ball either.
MK needs to come up with some tactical changes and quickly because once you get in a bad run it is hard to get out of it

Not in the MK out camp but I probably wouldn't be too sad if he did go soon. The football is so, so boring. What's more frustrating is that we know that we can play more exciting stuff, but MK seems determined not to. He promised high energy, attacking football when he came. He's delivered the exact opposite.
I'm just getting that apathetic feeling back now. I stopped watching on iFollow at half time and put the radio on in the background instead. Starting to think it would be more interesting to watch Walsall instead, just to see how Freddie Draper's doing.

I know Burton didn't look a great side, but tactically they got it spot on. They sat back first half and let us have the ball, knowing we didn't have the plarers to do anything with it. By doing that they also totally negated our full backs getting forward.

Second half they went forward a bit more and dominated until Adelakin caused them a few problems with his long throws and a couple of good runs.

We were totally out-coached and out-thought, and our players knew it after the first half hour.
They were cleverer than us sure. But the main difference were right players on right positions. We do not have a striker plus playing two midfielders with no pace on the wings. It was so easy to defend against us.

Burton on the other hand played two decent and quick wingers who made us (mostly Mitchell ) look like pedestrians on many occasions.

To be honest I think Mark is becoming as dillousional as some of the people on here.

Absolutely no way on this earth was the game defined by the sending off of Mandroiu, he was probably the worst player on the pitch at the time and as Kennedy said, is at a crossroads in his career. Definitely is a talented footballer but there are many who fail with the mental attitude required to be a professional footballer and he is another one of them. Will more than likely to be back playing in Ireland at the end of his contract.

Mark thought we were comfortable in possession! Well I would of been comfortable in possession playing at that speed. Playing it across the back and then back again, it was just like watching the team under Appleton again. It was slow and laborious, no sharpness and no incissiveness and zero creativity. We wouldn't of broke them down if we would of still been out there.

Also Kennedy thought that if we had kept 11 on the pitch and have scored the first goal then we would of won the match but did we really look like scoring, did we pepper their goal with shots, were we creating lots of chances?....were we heckers like and we are even worse on our corners...didn't win naff all from any of them...shocking.

It was what is becoming the norm under Kennedy, boring with a lack of attacking intent football and it has got to change. We just cannot carry on doing the same old, same old week in week out because you'll just keep getting the same result. A boring ,defensive, lack of creativity, no chances, very few goals scored football and that is just not acceptable.

Good luck to you in the very small minority who cannot see the wood for the trees, you'll soon be able to turn up and pick any seat you like but I'm fed up with watching this boring rubbish and IF it carries on no matter who is or who isn't available for selection the board are going to have to make some tough decisions if they don't want to be playing infront of a half empty stadium in the very near future.

MK has an impossible job. He is lauded when we win and then we hear calls for him to go when we lose. I did find the tactics quite negative today but then again, knew this was going to be a turgid affair just because of who we were playing

How long can the board allow MK to continue to get away with these negative tactics. He has already driven 1500 fans away. It’s abysmal
I don't normally comment on matches but the average attendance for the first five League matches (with no significant away followings) is 7,813 this season, with an average away following of 433. Last season we averaged 8,486, with an average away following of 828. So without playing any of the 'big' clubs in the division and with a cost of living crisis affecting most families, our net average home attendance is down by 275. The number of away supporters at Sincil Bank is almost half of that last season.

I don't normally comment on matches but the average attendance for the first five League matches (with no significant away followings) is 7,813 this season, with an average away following of 433. Last season we averaged 8,486, with an average away following of 828. So without playing any of the 'big' clubs in the division and with a cost of living crisis affecting most families, our net average home attendance is down by 275. The number of away supporters at Sincil Bank is almost half of that last season.
And what was the average attendance in 21/22 before Kennedy arrived

He was awful. Tripping over his own legs was only thing he did first half. Then he added red card to it after half time.

Looks like one of them players who think they're great but in fact they're not.

And he still isn't a winger in my eyes but that is another subject.
He needs a couple of weeks with the u21's with no pay to rid of his Billy big bollocks attitude.

And what was the average attendance in 21/22 before Kennedy arrived
Net average home gates
2021-22: 7999
2022-23: 7658
2023-24: 7383

The total attendances for all third tier games in 21-22 and 22-23 were the highest since the late 1950s, boosted by the likes of Wednesday, Ipswich, etc.

I watched on iFollow… what the camera showed following the sending off, and before the restart, was the whole burton coaching squad getting into their players about what to do next.
what couldn’t be seen on that view, was whether our coaching team did the same with prepping our 10? Can anyone at the game help me out please?

I saw Mandroius foul, but missed him getting the red card, but just saw the ref stuffing a yellow card into her pocket, maybe I'd dozed off!. Was it me or was a City player pushed to the ground, in the fracas after the foul?.