Match Thread: Lincoln City v Burton Albion | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Burton Albion

A slight dent in Kennedy’s credentials tonight. I couldn’t believe that he played identical tactics in the second half when it was blindingly obvious in the first half that it wasn’t working.

I don't believe any dent was made at all. Just sounds like someone looking for a negative.

What I will add though is that tonight's game is indictive of what we need to look to improve on next season. This season we will achieve a better finishing position and points total than last and if we are looking to continue in that upward trajectory we need to really find a way to beat teams like how Burton played tonight. This has been the issue this season. We know how to compete and get points from the better teams in this division, but have often found it so difficult to break down those other teams who defend in numbers. That is what the summer recruitment and tactics plan needs to address

Not too bothered by the display or result tonight tbh. Always want the win, but the season is effectively over, and ensuring that we don’t pick up any nasty long term injuries is probably the most important thing as we plan for next season. We didn’t get things right tonight, but we’ve finally seen what the squad can do over the last few outings prior. Ditching the repetitive long ball out, and bringing in some nous to deal with the pesky physical teams over the summer will set us up well for the new season. Will be interesting to see who stays and who joins.

Back at home via taking the dog for a walk. Not much to say about tonight really. After a decent enough first 15 minutes we seemed to be quite lacklustre after that almost as if the amount of games we've played this month had caught up with the team. I think that I was similar to the rest of the home crowd who simply shrugged at the final whistle with an almost 'whatever' view of the result. A game where we draw no conclusions from nor learn anything either.
I don't think that any of our players played anywhere close to what they have shown recently and that can happen when there is very little to actually play for in terms of promotions or relegations and it is a game to quickly consign to the dark recesses of memory.
I sense another shrug coming on
I'm finding it difficult to shrug off that performance myself.It annoys me that Kennedy decided to re employ that hopeless long ball knock down approach that has lead to nothing throughout this Season.I thought we had found a way to play that suits the current squad .Why oh why the players and the spectators had to suffer that again is a bloody mystery.

Banging long diagonals from the keeper to a 5' 9" Sorensen will get you nowhere. I can't understand why we played like that after recent performances.

Didn't really achieve any fluidity or consistancy to the performance for the whole of the 90 minutes.

Only really upped the anti when Mandroiu came on and he was the only one who looked like igniting anything positive in what was a very bland performance.

Thought Sanders did ok while he was on, Sorensen maintained his recent form although not as effective, Shodipo first half was OK and I thought Erhahon was his controlled self but in reality as a team we were nowhere near the levels we have been recently.

On to Morcombe in what is a big game for them. It's away so that will allow us to play our more counter attacking game which suits us better but we still have work to do especially centrally up front but we'll see how we go on Saturday and I would certainly like to see Makama brought on off the bench instead of Plange. I mean how many opportunities does Kennedy give Plange to get a zero return.

To be fair I think that the long diagonals from Rushworth to Sorensen was obviously a deliberate ploy. They pressed high from goal kicks so that was the only real outlet and although Sorensen was outjumped on nearly every occasion we did retain possession by way of a throw-in in their half of the pitch. Unfortunately as ugly as it was and with no other option it was effective.

Actually thought Burton looked a decent side who stopped us playing
Last couple of months they’ve beaten Wednesday Barnsley Wycombe and got beat by the only goal of the game at Derby on Saturday
No 17 Helm was excellent on the left hand side

I would say they achieved what they set out. Didn’t play much football but played it where it mattered and got the win. Their forward players were the pick of their players. I agree Helm was impressive. The chap on loan from forest Taylor and Smith were also lively too.

I think we will always struggle against teams like this especially those who are not safe.

very tough game Saturday

End of season game where there was little urgency and little skill on display until Mandroiu arrived. Too short for head tennis yet we played it throughout, and inevitably it did us no favours. The players mindset barely altered, and the flowing football of recent weeks became a distant memory.

Numerous individuals were off their game against a tall team that battled and wanted it more. Lessons still to be learned, but we did create two great chances to score. Overall it was a bit like a preseason training game, few hard tackles or even fouls and not a great watch for the fans.

Last edited:
Ariel= washing powder my mam used to wash my kit in
Aerial= where the ball found itself for most of this game

After some strong performances over last 6 games. maybe we were due a poor one.

Very little to say on this one. First 15 mins we had something about us, after that, it became (from both teams), extremely direct. Plan to kick from Rushworth to Sorensen (who pressed high all night) didn't work after the first 5 attempts and carried on not working for the other 25 attempts- reminds me of Blackadder when Field Marshall Haig explains why attacking by slowly walking towards the enemy is the last thing they will expect after doing the same thing the previous 18 times!

Flat night all round- players looked a little too much like this was a pre season/training game, crowd (even from kick off) were almost funereal, tactics didn't deliver last night. Mandroiu subbed on at half time added a little bit of quality and we created two glorious chances with balls across the box where House/Plange should have been but we failed to convert.

That's it- up to last night, even though we were safe, the games still had committment, passion and desire. Last night had a very "end of season" feel from players and fans.

Two unusual points- somehow we had 400 more in the home end than we did against Barnsley last week- go figure

To typify the type of match this was- this is the first game I can remember where neither team's physio was needed on the pitch at any point throughout the game. Not once.

One to forget, Burton have the double over us this season. Who would have thought that. Morecambe looks slightly tougher than it did a few days ago now but football is a funny old game.

Back to earth with a bang. That was typical end of season durge.
Like Reg Head I find it difficult to shrug off. There were 7000 plus Imps fans there last night on a very cold April night with nothing on show to warm them up. They deserved better the continual long ball tactics were obviously not working so why did we persist with them?
Not many of our players performed to a decent standard last night.
Boyes who has played well recently as an attacking full back showed he has defensive frailties and struggled all night against their wide man. Erhahon , whilst playing some lovely passes made several errors and gave the ball away more in one game than the rest of his matches altogether. Contributing to the corner that led to the goal. And House just wasn't at the races. I see Plange has been bearing the blunt of most of the criticism but he wasn't any worse than the rest of his teammates so shouldn't be scapegoated.
The only bright note was Mandriou, he really looked up for it and looked the only real class player on the pitch. One dummy he sold showed sublime skill.
But we have had a great run recently and perhaps we were due a poor performance.

Last edited:
Was very disappointing. A complete turn on its head to play so well and remain unbeaten against top 4 sides to be then beaten by a side twice that has the second worst goals against column. Not much more to say other than it’s uninspiring. I know I bang on about this on a regular basis, but virtually every other team looks to have more physicality about them and height over us. I wonder if that will be something MK will try to address over the summer with his recruitment. I know this is a simplistic view but we do seem to struggle against the more physical sides.

Too many defensive midfielders at the club. Without Bishop we generally struggle to play through the middle of the pitch and neither of the wide players had good games so we didn't get much joy down the wings either. Briefly we did try to play some football but when that didn't work reverted to the hapless and the hopeless again.
We are still better than earlier in the season, there is more attacking intent, we get more players forward but that was just an end of season poor performance with a hard to understand tactical approach. Saying that I thought Mandroiu was absolutely outstanding and is a different player since released from the shackles of the previous rigid formation. I would look to bring in a creative midfielder or two to complement Erhahon and give Mandroiu a free role next season.
Impressed with their number 11. Probably not a player we would be interested in but I checked, he is out of contract soon and would be an upgrade on Vernam.
Star man though was the ref. A complete contrast to the one against Port Vale and we need more like him

Was very disappointing. A complete turn on its head to play so well and remain unbeaten against top 4 sides to be then beaten by a side twice that has the second worst goals against column. Not much more to say other than it’s uninspiring. I know I bang on about this on a regular basis, but virtually every other team looks to have more physicality about them and height over us. I wonder if that will be something MK will try to address over the summer with his recruitment. I know this is a simplistic view but we do seem to struggle against the more physical sides.

Makama is a big lad and we certainly need to add some physicality up front because we are very light up top.

As fans we know virtually nothing about him but it's a bit different looking good in a Gainsborough team as opposed to a top half league 1 team plus he didn't really play regular at his last loan spell...was it Brackley?.

Bit strange for me that with the amount of knocks House has had this season and the amount of times hes had to plough the loan furrow plus he was out last weekend that Makama wasn't given a start when we knew what sort of a team Burton were.

Not saying it would of altered the performance or result but at least we would know a bit more about him

Every time we have seen Makama, he has looked a handfull - can't understand why he hasn't been given a start, especially at this stage of the season. Even if he did no good for the first 45 mins, Plange could always be bought on at half time to work his magic?

They pressed high from goal kicks so that was the only real outlet and although Sorensen was outjumped on nearly every occasion we did retain possession by way of a throw-in in their half of the pitch. Unfortunately as ugly as it was and with no other option it was effective.

Just need to get Terry Fleming to come out of retirement to press home the advantage.

Every time we have seen Makama, he has looked a handfull - can't understand why he hasn't been given a start, especially at this stage of the season. Even if he did no good for the first 45 mins, Plange could always be bought on at half time to work his magic?

It is strange. There can't be a better time than now to see what Makama can do at this level.

Instead we are giving game time and experience to a player who is not ours (and I hope will never be ours judging on what I have seen so far).

Mystifying.

Regarding Lasse Sorensen's height, a couple of posters on this thread have described him as:

'Very short'
'5ft 9in'

The Football Yearbook gives his height as 6ft 1in and so do all the websites I've looked at - or at least they all give him as 1.85cm, which is nearer six feet and half an inch. From personal observation I would at least say he's not far short of that.

As for the tactic of launching the ball towards him down the wing, while he doubtless won less than half of the balls in the air there were several occasions where the opposing player put the ball out for a throw-in. Classic John Beck tactics! The trouble was, unlike with Beck, we never looked like scoring or even winning a corner from the long throws.

Regarding Lasse Sorensen's height, a couple of posters on this thread have described him as:

'Very short'
'5ft 9in'

The Football Yearbook gives his height as 6ft 1in and so do all the websites I've looked at - or at least they all give him as 1.85cm, which is nearer six feet and half an inch. From personal observation I would at least say he's not far short of that.

As for the tactic of launching the ball towards him down the wing, while he doubtless won less than half of the balls in the air there were several occasions where the opposing player put the ball out for a throw-in. Classic John Beck tactics! The trouble was, unlike with Beck, we never looked like scoring or even winning a corner from the long throws.

That is another strange tactic. We seem to sometimes play for long throws, but we don't actually have anyone with a particularly long throw. Or, indeed, anyone - including the centre backs - who can actually win one after its hurled in.

'Very short'
'5ft 9in'

As for the tactic of launching the ball towards him down the wing, while he doubtless won less than half of the balls in the air there were several occasions where the opposing player
put the ball out for a throw-in. Classic John Beck tactics! The trouble was, unlike with Beck, we never looked like scoring or even winning a corner from the long throws.

Think I described him as 5' 10" and I may concede an inch but I am being generous with that.
There is absolutely no way he is 6' 1"
Edit
Just looked and I did put his height at 5' 9" but I was being a bit sarcastic in that. More like what's the point, he isn't exactly known for his aerial powers.
Stick by he is not 6' 1" though.

Last edited: