Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bristol Rovers

Please be careful what you wish for.
Peterborough United terminated their contract with BBC Cambridgeshire at the beginning of the season. To listen to their matches with the new broadcaster they were charging £5 a match or £6.50 for the month. They have since rowed back on that and it may be free to air on a very restricted FM station. I suspect supporters outside of the city would not be able to pick that up.
I know they did, I am being facetious. Radio Lincs is a lifeline for us exiles, regardless of how wobbly it is sometimes.

Perceptions are always interesting. Forget the Barnsley game for a moment, Lincoln have just scored eleven goals in two home games: to us, we have witnessed two displays of attacking, irresistible football which has blown away the opposition; however, Cambridge manager Garry Monk believes it was self-inflicted while a Bristol Rovers fan thinks Lincoln were there for the taking.

Skubala has improved every player a lot already, what a coach. We now have many saleable assets when it wasn’t looking that way before he came and the model seemed under threat.

He’s so good tactically as well. Always mentions tweaking things at half time which usually deals with whatever threat the opposition has had on us in the first half.
The squad are so young too. The energy swamps older opposition players.

Not just for exiles - lot of people that can't get to games either for age or infirmity reasons rely on radio lincs - it is a bit wobbly at times not helped by the government putting the squeeze on the BBC and them responding by cost cutting local services - Hortin's perfomance is usually balanced by Rob Makepeace and Mark Hones performances- uti

Perceptions are always interesting. Forget the Barnsley game for a moment, Lincoln have just scored eleven goals in two home games: to us, we have witnessed two displays of attacking, irresistible football which has blown away the opposition; however, Cambridge manager Garry Monk believes it was self-inflicted while a Bristol Rovers fan thinks Lincoln were there for the taking.
We are playing some of the best football I can remember for years - but we are getting the rub of the green at the moment.

Yesterday could have ended 4-4.

The next few games will of course be tougher and things might not go our way as much, but it’s going to be an exciting finale to the season.

For the first time in a long time I’m looking forward to watching games again, albeit on ifollow.

I don't think it's too much to ask for Hortin to simply be swapped. Even if it's just Makepeace taking comms every game. He's miles clear
Agree . Makepeace was sat in his seat in the GBM yesterday and in my opinion its about time he is given the chance to be the number one. Hortin makes so many mistakes with the full time scores, mixing the Leagues up, not knowing players names, I think he tests Skoobs patience ! Radio Lincs even managed to lose the post match interview with Scoobs midway through yesterday and went to beep music again !

Joking aside this is a very different Lincoln City side to that we have been watching for the 18 months prior to the turn of the year.
In terms of performance, yes. In terms of personnel, not really. Aside from Taylor and Moylan (plus McGrandles, who's out for the season and only played 5 games for us) this is the same squad that Kennedy squandered with his negative tactics.

I personally can not understand those that keep saying it could have been 3-3 at half time etc etc. You could in theory say, we could have been 3-0 down had we not scored and they had !!! The reason they didn't score was because Jensen did his job.
We are in a position where; at the moment; the whole team are doing their jobs effectively. This puts pressure on the opposition in both an attacking and defending mode and we can all see how that has panned in our favour.

I personally can not understand those that keep saying it could have been 3-3 at half time etc etc. You could in theory say, we could have been 3-0 down had we not scored and they had !!! The reason they didn't score was because Jensen did his job.
We are in a position where; at the moment; the whole team are doing their jobs effectively. This puts pressure on the opposition in both an attacking and defending mode and we can all see how that has panned in our favour.
That's right: Bristol Rovers may have created a few chances but were not good enough to score; Lincoln were deadly while Lukas Jensen was too good for their strikers. The better teams and the better players tend to win those battles.

Not only Jensen, but on a couple of there good chances we also had a defender covering the line. Not saying the defenders would have stopped it had it gone past Jensen, just that they were also there as an additional barrier.

That's right: Bristol Rovers may have created a few chances but were not good enough to score; Lincoln were deadly while Lukas Jensen was too good for their strikers. The better teams and the better players tend to win those battles.

But there was a big difference in my view Scot between Saturday and the wins at Barnsley and against Cambridge. Barnsley and Cambridge didn't miss any clear cut chances because we didn't give them any.

Bristol Rovers missed three one-on-ones and a penalty. 5-0 therefore flattered us. Yes the best team won, but it definitely was not a 5-0 game. Yes, Jensen did his job, but better strikers and better Rovers luck would have had us conceding 3 or 4 goals.

That is really the point some (and me) are trying to make. It was a great win and delightful to watch. But there was a certain amount of luck involved on our side. A 5-3 win might have been a fairer result, which we would all still have been thrilled with.

At some point though, things will go against us rather than for us. Hopefully not until July in some meaningless pre-season friendlies!!

But there was a big difference in my view Scot between Saturday and the wins at Barnsley and against Cambridge. Barnsley and Cambridge didn't miss any clear cut chances because we didn't give them any.

Bristol Rovers missed three one-on-ones and a penalty. 5-0 therefore flattered us. Yes the best team won, but it definitely was not a 5-0 game. Yes, Jensen did his job, but better strikers and better Rovers luck would have had us conceding 3 or 4 goals.

That is really the point some (and me) are trying to make. It was a great win and delightful to watch. But there was a certain amount of luck involved on our side. A 5-3 win might have been a fairer result, which we would all still have been thrilled with.

At some point though, things will go against us rather than for us. Hopefully not until July in some meaningless pre-season friendlies!!
You are Mark Kennedy and I claim my prize.

Gary Player's quote re practice and luck comes to mind. If the system and individuals within it is configured to deal with these vagaries, the ability to deal with off days or on opposition is enhanced. Rovers may indeed have been good enough for a 3-3 draw or similar. But we stuffed them 5-0 because the system and individuals within it delivered that result despite, possibly, a slightly off day.

You are Mark Kennedy and I claim my prize.

Gary Player's quote re practice and luck comes to mind. If the system and individuals within it is configured to deal with these vagaries, the ability to deal with off days or on opposition is enhanced. Rovers may indeed have been good enough for a 3-3 draw or similar. But we stuffed them 5-0 because the system and individuals within it delivered that result despite, possibly, a slightly off day.
Chester. What part of “the best team won” did you not understand? :)

The comparison between this year and last year with big wins against Bristol Rovers is interesting....

....and to me shows why Kennedy was right last year

....and why we would be mad if we were doing still doing the same thing now.

This year we beat Bristol because we have good players all over the pitch and others to come in to back that up.

Below is the side and replacements in midfield and attacking areas from the famous 6-3 watershed match.

Bristol Rovers had a complete injury crisis and Barton had a mad approach to that problem, which we exploited...

The players that should have taken EFL1 by storm last season.

Oakley-Boothe
Virtue
Sorensen

Garrick
Diamond
House

Subs

Vernam
Hopper
Robson
Sanders
Davenport

Last edited:

I see your point and I think it is valid, although not sure I fully agree.

Cambridge did create chances against us too but hit similar issues to Bristol Rovers. Similar to Saturday, whilst Cambridge were rubbish on balance of play the loss they got probably came across harsh.

Bristol did actually take those chances horribly, Jevani Brown narrowed down his angle far too much which made Jensen’s life easy, I have no idea where Evans thought the goal was for the penalty, and as others have said - we got cover on the line for Martin’s chance.

And also - Jensen is looking too good for this league. Under futsal boy, Jensen has developed the most out of any player for me. He’s making great saves every game, cut out most the errors even I can see are errors, and brought his focus on to what he should be doing. Jensen’s form/ability does need to be taken into account when considering our luck.

Then finally - do we not deserve a bit of luck to even it out over the season? I can think back to some horrendous decisions against us, think of all our long term injuries to players in the same position, or just unfortunate bounces which have cost us points this season.

The comparison between this year and last year with big wins against Bristol Rovers is interesting....

....and to me shows why Kennedy was right last year

....and why we would be made if we were doing still doing the same thing now.

This year we beat Bristol because we have good players all over the pitch and others to come in an back that up.

Below is the side and replacements in midfield and attacking areas from the famous 6-3 watershed match.

Bristol Rovers had a complete injury crisis and Barton had a mad approach to that problem, which we exploited...

The players that should have taken EFL1 by storm last season.

Oakley-Boothe
Virtue
Sorensen

Garrick
Diamond
House

Subs

Vernam
Hopper
Robson
Sanders
Davenport
Sorry Chimp you lost me when I read ‘ Kennedy was right’ . If MK had this current squad we would still be playing Mick McCarthy dour, negative, boring football

Can't argue about Cambridge, Mike (their 4-0 loss on Saturday indicates they are woeful at the moment), but would suggest you're not remembering the Barnsley game accurately. They definitely could, perhaps should, have scored a couple more at least.

Just goes to show that despite what the scorelines suggest the three games have all differed. The common factor is we're simply deadly at the moment. It's unbelievable!