Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers | Page 10 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers

As we are ninth in the league I hope I dont get shot down in flames for this but there seems to be an awful lot of nonchalance that we are completely safe from relegation. There is nobody at the bottom who are miles behind everyone else.
I don't for a minute believe that will happen to us but yet again on the evidence of today's performance if the opposition score we will more likely lose. We are totally bereft of anyone who looks likely to score or even test the opposition defence.
I am not blaming the current Manager at the moment because he has nobody fit in the squad to remedy this. Although I would take issue with him for bringing on Adelukan when we were desperate to try and find something instead of Duffy or Shodipo. Adelukan is back to his can't be arsed mode all he did was one of his duff long throws followed by passing the ball twice to the opposition. The second occasion he didn't even chase back. Even if we have to pay him off please get rid.
However despite my pessimism above I fully expect the Board to back the Manager so he can bring some new blood in and possibly get us challenging again for play-offs. But if we don't it is going to be a tough watch.
More like: if the opposition don't score it will most likely be 0 - 0.

They had 71% possession and did very little with it to put us to bed- Jensen had one save to make the entire game......possession is meaningless if you don't create clear cut chances...they didn't. Defensively we remained strong. Going forward we have almost zero final third quality.
If the defence remained strong they wouldn’t have scored!

71% possession, they scored we didn’t - 3 points Bolton end of.

I honestly thought contact was minimal but that's all it needs when you go in like that.
...that's all it "can" take....I would say....

I don't think you would have to look very far to see similar tackles that get yellow.

TJ about 10 minutes later comes to mind.

Last edited:
I honestly thought contact was minimal but that's all it needs when you go in like that.

I agree with you, contact was minimal but studs were showing, went in with force and he was so far behind the play. I thought it was a red in the ground and mind hasn’t changed since watching a replay.

In any case, no way it’s getting overturned.

We have the striker issues yes, but i think far too much emphasis has been put on that. The squad looks very unbalanced and Skubala only really looks to be using a select number of them. Again we’re in a position where we have too many fringe players making up the squad.
Don’t disagree with much of what you said but wondering which players you think Skubala is not selecting but should be

As we are ninth in the league I hope I dont get shot down in flames for this but there seems to be an awful lot of nonchalance that we are completely safe from relegation. There is nobody at the bottom who are miles behind everyone else.
I don't for a minute believe that will happen to us but yet again on the evidence of today's performance if the opposition score we will more likely lose. We are totally bereft of anyone who looks likely to score or even test the opposition defence.
I am not blaming the current Manager at the moment because he has nobody fit in the squad to remedy this. Although I would take issue with him for bringing on Adelukan when we were desperate to try and find something instead of Duffy or Shodipo. Adelukan is back to his can't be arsed mode all he did was one of his duff long throws followed by passing the ball twice to the opposition. The second occasion he didn't even chase back. Even if we have to pay him off please get rid.
However despite my pessimism above I fully expect the Board to back the Manager so he can bring some new blood in and possibly get us challenging again for play-offs. But if we don't it is going to be a tough watch.
I'm with you on this one.
Seen better sides going on a bad run and ending up relegated. Especially valid point since we have no idea how to create anythng let alone score a goal..

Don’t disagree with much of what you said but wondering which players you think Skubala is not selecting but should be

Well, in the current setup I don’t think there are any that he should be selecting that he isn’t. My angle on that was that we have limited competitive depth in some areas.

I’d be happy for us to try a different formation which may bring in other players (I.e. the wingers).

They had 71% possession and did very little with it to put us to bed- Jensen had one save to make the entire game......possession is meaningless if you don't create clear cut chances...they didn't. Defensively we remained strong. Going forward we have almost zero final third quality.
No totally sure what if any point your making
They dominated us and I’d imagine most people who watched had that same summary

Between start of second half and Mandroiu going off- we were not only very good but matching them- they created absolutely nothing in first 20 mins of second half. Mandroiu off and it's a different game.
We had a decent start to the second half but I would never go that far to say we were very good.
Also game last lot longer than that 15mins in which we played ok- ish.
We were battered for most of it, never came close to score and didn't deserve anything.

Why not, his style of play mirrors Kennedy so may as well tell the truth as well?

Have you not heard him interviewed, from the very start of his appointment - talking about how he wants to initially 'evolve' the team rather than implement something new and radical? (as time on the training ground that is not dedicated to preparing for the next opponents has been extremely limited). MK never had such a depleted squad during his time. Not only that but Derby, Bolton and quite possibly Reading now (if you look at their recent form) are 3 of the toughest fixtures - and we had them successively. No idea whether MS will work out or not - but every manager needs time.... the hand that MS has been given and it being his first ever job that is doubly true.

Yes, 4-match ban. Should be back for the game against Peterborough on 27 January, if he deserves a game.
No he doesn't. One mindless red could be forgiven, a second is plain fucking ridiculous. I really hope some of the players let him have it in the changing room. Without doubt cost us an extremely hard-earned point today.
2 week fine please and a very long wait for a final chance at being reliable and worthy of that chance.

Well what to say different to previous.
Worked hard, defended set pieces for the most part well. Had a bit more attacking intent second half until moment of madness , after which was a matter of time.

Erahon stormed down the tunnel alone at the end. We all know how that ended last time.
Let's hope he was going to slap some sense into the prick that previously went down it alone.

I have slept on the game before commenting. It’s easy to get carried away in the heat of the moment (ask Mr Mandriou 🤔) but I wanted to reflect on a few things and the bigger picture.
First, I think some of the comments on here about MS and the style of the team being no different are completely out of order. He himself has said he has only had two or three tactical sessions (since he arrived) where he’s been able to inject ideas to influence the way the team plays. Otherwise his time has been spent overseeing player recovery and preparation for the next game. The run of games we’ve had has been against strong sides - sides that have largely been in the top 8, and that will continue in January with the likes of Derby (again), Peterborough and (maybe) Wycombe.
Some posters have commented about the ongoing ‘excuse‘ of no forward options wearing a bit thin after all this time. I beg to differ - no team in the lower half of the table, with the financial resources we have, would be any different and in fact many would be struggling to stay out of the bottom four. At least being hard to beat we have somehow managed to maintain a position in the top half, even if we have been limping towards January fighting rearguard actions to grab the odd point here and there.
Danny Mandriou is a divisive player at the moment, but I don’t understand how anyone can see him as not committed, or deserving to be in the side. He is a talent that deserves to play all the time. He can create and cause problems. I firmly believe the way he has been this season is very much about frustration with the lack of decent forward players in the side. When he has had them he has played much more creatively, and on the front foot, trying short, quick passing and quick one-two’s and flick-ons and his off-the-ball movement has been a lot more positive. In my opinion has has been more frustrated than most because he has not had the forward outlets that he thrives on playing with, so he has been forced backwards when he doesn’t want to. I would venture his two red cards have an element of that frustration about them. If he needs to learn anything it’s how to be more patient in defending, and how to stay on his feet and simply stay goal-side or ‘shepherding’ to cut off a forward route of an opponent, instead of trying to make a frustrating physical challenge which often ends badly. ‘Don’t get frustrated - frustrate the opposition’ Danny.
The lack of players has been a huge issue all season, and will always be for a club like Lincoln. How can we compete against the likes of many teams coming down from the Championship with parachute payments or who get 20,000 gates or have huge squads on much higher wages than our players. Teams who have so many players at their disposal that they can fill a bench with players who, for us, would probably be first-choice starters. We are getting there - I still believe that the last window was one of our best in terms of quality of players signed. We are in transition, mainly because of the injuries and lack of quality players to build a promotion-chasing squad, and certainly this season, as a result of striker injuries severely limiting our style. We are developing the club and it’s financial resources and are lucky to have the influential people we have backing and running the club, but we have some way to go to get to the next level.
The games against the likes of Reading, Derby and Bolton have really brought to the fore the difference between those clubs and us. Yesterday’s game in particular, for me, showed the difference in approach between clubs, not just because of their ability to fill the bench with decent players who can affect a game, but Ian Evatt had a game plan which appeared to be based on taking advantage of our naivety and lack of discipline - for one thing - but also the dark arts and physical ’baulking’ (especially Santos 😡🤬) which we don’t seem to have mastered or at least enough to avoid referee sanctions as we get punished when other teams seem to get away with such things (or is it just me 🤔). Evatt also had the players to pile on the pressure in the last 15 minutes which brought the (inevitable) winning goal (you could see the effect it had with the whole Bolton side celebrating the winner).
Thats my reflection on the game yesterday anyway for what it’s worth. I can only hope we have a good January window and get through the season OK, then build for next year. In the meantime, I’ll react knee-jerkingly watching the games 🤣 UTI

This team will continue to look like a Kennedy team until they can shake off the "Kennedy DNA" of "Safety First".
The first half yesterday I mistakenly thought we were a well disciplined side, playing deep and compact, a front three (albeit sat on the half-way line), no-one isolated, waiting for the right moment. Listening to Skubala's post-match interview he wanted more from them, and second half we started to see a little more (not enough though). With 20 minutes to go he brought on a fresh pair of legs in the form of Vale, and he probably had the instruction to get at the opposition; but two minutes later, red card, end up going one up front and the rest is inevitable.
"Safety first" seems to have some players playing with fear and others with frustration, it needs shaking off, and hopefully then we'll get to see a team with "Skubala's DNA"; whatever that may be!

Definitely we lack quality going forward, but also numbers. A by product of playing 7 at the back I suppose? (although that formation should, and does, make us defensively strong)

The last few games have left me feeling pretty jaded. No attacking threat whatsoever. A penalty and an own goal are all I have had to warm me over the last 3 fixtures. Of course I am aware of our injury crisis but my word we don’t create much up top do we? A backs to the wall battering is not what I want to see. So it’s Northampton Town up next. Surely, we can get more that 50% possession, create excitement in their penalty box and score a winning goal. Come on imps