Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers

I think for me the big concern at the moment is that if we are going to sit back and try and soak up pressure we are not even countering effectively. We have so little pace in the team that even if someone like Sorenson gets the ball in space and bombs forward there is no-one in the box when he gets there.

When we played Stevenage they were one up and yet in injury time when they broke the ball carrier and 3 other players had bust a lung to get into our box...
This was pointed out at the time of the Stevenage game. Their desire and effort was streets ahead of ours. We were ambling forward to join a counter attack, they were busting a gut to get on the end of a cross even tho they were 2-0 up.
This can only be a combination of the players inner desire and the man management of the manager to get the players to want to run through brick walls for him. We can hire the best tippy tippy coach preaching from the latest FA coaching manual but he cant put the fire in the players bellies we will get the same bland outcome.
Bolton for example play in the image of Evatt, Stevenage play in the image of Steve Evans, ( aggressive up and at them), we play in the image of the snowflake coaches the FA are churning out at the moment( passive and steady)

This was pointed out at the time of the Stevenage game. Their desire and effort was streets ahead of ours. We were ambling forward to join a counter attack, they were busting a gut to get on the end of a cross even tho they were 2-0 up.
This can only be a combination of the players inner desire and the man management of the manager to get the players to want to run through brick walls for him. We can hire the best tippy tippy coach preaching from the latest FA coaching manual but he cant put the fire in the players bellies we will get the same bland outcome.
Bolton for example play in the image of Evatt, Stevenage play in the image of Steve Evans, ( aggressive up and at them), we play in the image of the snowflake coaches the FA are churning out at the moment( passive and steady)
In my time watching the Imps, 3 names spring to mind, Big Keith, Beck and DC. All knew how to generate that desire and mental steel. Coincidentally, our most successful times too! Sure, you can add MA to the success list, but he had far better players at his disposal. A really good manager gets every ounce out of a player and often inspires more than they knew they had!

In my time watching the Imps, 3 names spring to mind, Big Keith, Beck and DC. All knew how to generate that desire and mental steel. Coincidentally, our most successful times too! Sure, you can add MA to the success list, but he had far better players at his disposal. A really good manager gets every ounce out of a player and often inspires more than they knew they had!
Big Keith turned a postman into a lethal weapon!

I’ve always been wary of the current trend to want to play a passing game. I’ve never seen it work at Lincoln apart from the Covid MA year. And if it doesn’t work it’s plain boring.

You have to get the ball into the box. Goalmouth action excites fans, not endless passing without any end result.

Having said that it’s too early to know if that is how Skoobs wants to play.

I think GT tops all of those.

B**k successful? You're having a laugh.

Every match I saw in that era was embarrassingly bad, with 1 exception, at Maine Road.

B**k successful? You're having a laugh.

Every match I saw in that era was embarrassingly bad, with 1 exception, at Maine Road.
The side he assembled got us aqay from relegation, to the brink of the play-offs and eventually promoted, albeit he had been removed before it happened. A memorable cup run with a double over Manchester City.I'd call that success.
He gave us an effective side with masses of endeavour and guts, I never said it was pretty!

The side he assembled got us aqay from relegation, to the brink of the play-offs and eventually promoted, albeit he had been removed before it happened. A memorable cup run with a double over Manchester City.I'd call that success.
He gave us an effective side with masses of endeavour and guts, I never said it was pretty!
I maybe didn't pick my games right, I didn't see many during Beck's time due to family commitments, but every game I saw, apart from Maine Road, was a defeat.

The matches at SB, and the pitch they were played on, were an embarrassment and I stopped making any effort to go to matches. Happy day when he was sacked.

Very true but we did spend - lots of money signings mostly from Preston or other players he knew. A lot of churn too

Ainsworth for £60k, great spell for us and sold for £500k.
Yep he was exceptional. I think we spent big for that time mostly to stop relegation transfer fees and wages. Also heard that a lot of the players got auto renewal at 30% increase on wages when we went up. Some of them were on £3k a week (if what I heard was true) which is crazy for 25 years ago.

And Matt Carbon I think?
Well, Matt Carbon was sold later in the season. From the money received for Huckerby Gareth Ainsworth able to be signed for an initial fee of £25,000, Barry Richardson for an eventual sum of £20,000 and Jon Whitney for £20,000. These three were actually signed just before Huckerby left.

Around the time of Carbon's sale £30,000 was spent to make Steve Holmes a permanent signing.