Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Bolton Wanderers

Let's be clear about Bolton. They are not and never have been a big club. They've never won the top division and last won the FA Cup in the 1950's. They were bank rolled in the Premiership and spent 100's of millions of money they never had on top of that, to end up getting relegated to the bottom tier of the EFL.

They are not even in the top four of notable clubs in the third tier of English football and can be pretty much summed up as a bunch of serial cheats coming from a mid sized suburb of Manchester.

Who said we were a big club Hull? As you say we are a mid sized outfit, arguably the biggest in Lanky outside of United and City on fan base alone but genuine “big club” we‘re not and don’t claim to be. Having said that we have spent more time in the English top division in our history than most, 15th in the list I think, including until about ten years ago when as you say our owner nearly bankrupted us. As fans we have no control over that and just support our club. We’re not the only ones who’ve had bad owners and won’t be the last and I hope you don’t fall foul to one. I think the serial cheats bit is a tad strong, id disagree with that but anyway we’ll always see issues through our own perspective as fans and that’s what makes the game so great. So Happy New Year to all Imps fans and good luck for the rest of the season.

Trying to provoke Walsh into a second yellow, and guess what? Provocation was part of their second-half game plan, and there was no subtlety about it; most referees would have been able to spot it and react accordingly.

Shame our players didn't.

Who said we were a big club Hull? As you say we are a mid sized outfit, arguably the biggest in Lanky outside of United and City on fan base alone but genuine “big club” we‘re not and don’t claim to be. Having said that we have spent more time in the English top division in our history than most, 15th in the list I think, including until about ten years ago when as you say our owner nearly bankrupted us. As fans we have no control over that and just support our club. We’re not the only ones who’ve had bad owners and won’t be the last and I hope you don’t fall foul to one. I think the serial cheats bit is a tad strong, id disagree with that but anyway we’ll always see issues through our own perspective as fans and that’s what makes the game so great. So Happy New Year to all Imps fans and good luck for the rest of the season.
If you look at the cluster of clubs around your neck of the woods I would say you are on a par with Blackpool, some way to go and catch Preston, Blackburn and Burnley mind.

Diamond- What does he bring to the game apart from telling everybody else where they should be positioned. Nothing, as viewed live from the Co- op upper. Today as viewed from the opposite side via match replay. Nothing. Ps was that a goodbye hug from MK at the end of the game?
Very harsh on Jack Diamond. He has been our most positive thinking forward player this season and about the only player to get you on the edge of your seat. Take him out the team and we really will be a boring team to watch. Diamond, Mandy and Bishop are the only skilled players we have, the management need to find a way of bringing the best out of them. We are so dour to watch this season if you think Diamond is the problem then I really don’t know what to say.

Come on Warren. You didn't turn up for a last game of the season a few year back, and it was a home game and you didn't turn up for a midweek game at Doncaster not so long ago because it was hot and you hardly had any players at the time and most of them were young and the club said it may be detrimental to their welfare to play!!!....please. Got to be one of the best excuses ever,not to mention all your financial irregularities. That's why people call your club cheats and are justified in doing it.

Excepted that it's nothing to do with you, the fans, but it grates us who are running our clubs correctly within great financial constraints and not gaining any advantages from cheating then seeing those who do not facing any kind of punishment for doing so.

I'd like to think the players could spot it too, especially one of our most experienced.
That said, I would have found it very difficult to not really "do" one of theirs late on and stand over him asking why he wasn't rolling around! I think it would have been thoroughly justified and a fine worth sucking up😉
That's the problem with provocation - it works.

They'll be a fair few Notlob supporters who come the 'billy big bollocks' about their time with the Premiershite lot. Who remembers the then chairman wanting no relegation from said league?.
As for the dirty critter who may get a 3 game ban, let's see if Notlob fine him for his antics if found guilty. Panto season still running so he could get an acting gig whilst not playing!

Hi Warren - just so you don’t get the impression that all Lincoln fans are pompous arseholes, Bolton have a great away following and Ive always been impressed with their support. I know a couple of lads from Horwich we used to see out and about at various places and they were sound. Happy New Year.

If you look at the cluster of clubs around your neck of the woods I would say you are on a par with Blackpool, some way to go and catch Preston, Blackburn and Burnley mind.

I know you’re not Lancastrian Hull but with respect you need to do your homework. Outside of the big Manchester clubs and including Liverpool and Everton, Wanderers have generally bigger gates both home and away than any of the others. This season the average attendances are:
Wanderers. 18765
Blackpool. 12842
Blackburn. 14302
Preston. 16007
Wigan. 11924
Bear in mind that they are all currently Championship clubs and should benefit from bigger away followings, including 5 x local derbies, Rovers and Preston are also pushing for promotion. Only Burnley at 19277 average are higher than Wanderers and they’re top and have just come down from the PL. Look, it’s irrelevant anyway but in L1 only Wednesday, Ipswich and Derby currently have bigger averages than Bolton. We may not be a “Big” club nationally but in Lancashire we’re definitely No1 and always have been. 😉

Hi Warren - just so you don’t get the impression that all Lincoln fans are pompous arseholes, Bolton have a great away following and Ive always been impressed with their support. I know a couple of lads from Horwich we used to see out and about at various places and they were sound. Happy New Year.

Cheers No7, considering what we’ve been through in recent years we’re just glad to have a club at all but in fairness our support has always stayed strong. Living in Lincoln now the Imps are the team I always look out for and I like to see them do well and especially happy during your fabulous run under the Crowley‘s. We have some idiots in our fan base like most clubs do (not meant at you Hull 😉) but we travel well and in good numbers unlike some of our Lanky neighbours, most notably the Dingles of Blackburn!! Happy New Year to you and let’s hope 2023 is good for both our clubs?

Come on Warren. You didn't turn up for a last game of the season a few year back, and it was a home game and you didn't turn up for a midweek game at Doncaster not so long ago because it was hot and you hardly had any players at the time and most of them were young and the club said it may be detrimental to their welfare to play!!!....please. Got to be one of the best excuses ever,not to mention all your financial irregularities. That's why people call your club cheats and are justified in doing it.

Excepted that it's nothing to do with you, the fans, but it grates us who are running our clubs correctly within great financial constraints and not gaining any advantages from cheating then seeing those who do not facing any kind of punishment for doing so.

I think there are one or two salient points you’re missing on that front clanfordimp. At the time we were being run by a crook called Anderson who was refusing to pay the players wages, as well as suppliers and HMRC!! After a few months the contracted players were allowed to walk away which most did and we were forced to use our youth team in a couple of fixtures. FA rules actually forbid that and so yes, we had to postpone a couple of games for which we were penalised financially and on points. As you say it was near the end of the season.

As for financial irregularities, again these were down to one man, our owner Ken Anderson and they nearly bankrupted us, forcing us into administration and suffering points penalties and restrictions on signings and wages which the new owners had to pick up. I can well understand your scepticism and if I didn’t know the facts I’d probably feel the same. As far as the £150m debt from our PL years, that was all written off by our former owner Eddie Davis and when he sold the club to Anderson he kept tight control over him. Sadly Eddie died on holiday and with nobody to hold him back Anderson went crazy. As I say, I hope that you never suffer at the hands of a crook like him or you might have a different view? Sorry to be off topics on a Lincoln thread but just needed to clarify one or two points.

Very harsh on Jack Diamond. He has been our most positive thinking forward player this season and about the only player to get you on the edge of your seat. Take him out the team and we really will be a boring team to watch. Diamond, Mandy and Bishop are the only skilled players we have, the management need to find a way of bringing the best out of them. We are so dour to watch this season if you think Diamond is the problem then I really don’t know what to say.
Look at his rating (including your own) Tell’s it’s own story.

Look at his rating (including your own) Tell’s it’s own story.
If he is poor I will mark accordingly just the same as he will get a high mark for a good game. I should imagine he averages amongst the highest 4 or 5 players so far

Jack has certainly dropped the intensity in his performances over the last few weeks IMO. Yes on his day he is one of the stand outs for us and been a very good signing, but seems to be trying too hard and taking everyone on and then easily losing the ball at the moment.

I think there are one or two salient points you’re missing on that front clanfordimp. At the time we were being run by a crook called Anderson who was refusing to pay the players wages, as well as suppliers and HMRC!! After a few months the contracted players were allowed to walk away which most did and we were forced to use our youth team in a couple of fixtures. FA rules actually forbid that and so yes, we had to postpone a couple of games for which we were penalised financially and on points. As you say it was near the end of the season.

As for financial irregularities, again these were down to one man, our owner Ken Anderson and they nearly bankrupted us, forcing us into administration and suffering points penalties and restrictions on signings and wages which the new owners had to pick up. I can well understand your scepticism and if I didn’t know the facts I’d probably feel the same. As far as the £150m debt from our PL years, that was all written off by our former owner Eddie Davis and when he sold the club to Anderson he kept tight control over him. Sadly Eddie died on holiday and with nobody to hold him back Anderson went crazy. As I say, I hope that you never suffer at the hands of a crook like him or you might have a different view? Sorry to be off topics on a Lincoln thread but just needed to clarify one or two points.

As I said Warren wasn't having a go at you as fans but from the outside looking in the way your club was run was nothing short of a disgrace.

If he is poor I will mark accordingly just the same as he will get a high mark for a good game. I should imagine he averages amongst the highest 4 or 5 players so far

I think that right John, but Diamond's better marks were all in the early months of the season. Diamond has not played well at all the past two months. But then if he had the conistency to play a full season like he did in September/October, he wouldn't be out on loan with us anyway.

I thought Vernam was a bit unlucky to be dropped for Diamond against Bolton, as Vernam has out in some decent performances recently - and wouldn't be too surprised if Diamond is on the bench tomorrow, assuming Mandroiu is fit enough to play twice in four days.

Diamond started off really well- last few games he hasn't really been at the races. It's clear why he's on loan- not got the quality or strength to be in the Championship (particularly defensively) but has some good skills on occasion.

Mandriou showed on Friday what we may see when he gets back to match fitness including the rhythm of the game.

Whether Diamond stays or goes, I'll agree that the reason he is mainly in the starting 11 is because we have limited options- Garrick and TOB have not mapped out this season in the way we clearly thought they would. Garrick particularly hasn't been where the club thought he would be.....reminds me of Whittaker except Whittaker at Plymouth has shown what he can do.

I don't agree we are dour to watch at all- apart from three or four games (league and cup), it has been a good season so far and I've enjoyed it. It's clear what we are building or trying to build- style of play, ethos etc. It's great to be part of the journey.

Diamond like every one of our players isn't flawless but not sure I agree he's been poor at all.

I think the change is style from back 4 to back 5 makes the team more effective at picking up points, so is right but makes the job of anyone not playing in the back 3 harder.

Diamond was terrific against Bristol Rovers but we couldn't defend.

We play a different style at present. Long kicks from the keeper, aerial challenges, break outs against 3 or 4 defenders. When Diamond "played well" we worked it through the thirds more and he go the ball in space up against 1 defender.

His pace is still vital to keep teams honest and he works hard and converts penalties. Probably score tomorrow!

I think that right John, but Diamond's better marks were all in the early months of the season. Diamond has not played well at all the past two months. But then if he had the conistency to play a full season like he did in September/October, he wouldn't be out on loan with us anyway.

I thought Vernam was a bit unlucky to be dropped for Diamond against Bolton, as Vernam has out in some decent performances recently - and wouldn't be too surprised if Diamond is on the bench tomorrow, assuming Mandroiu is fit enough to play twice in four days.
When Scotimp publishes the average marks for November and December Mike I would be surprised if Diamond isn’t in the top 4 or 5 and most likely our highest marked forward player. He was vitals MoM in at least 2 games played in the last 2 months.
As I’ve previously said I would find a way of playing Diamond, Mandy and Bishop even if Bishop had to play wingback if we persist with a back 5. I know you don’t rate Bishop either so we won’t agree on that one I know