Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Lincoln City | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Lincoln City

The only blemish was Hamilton picking up a yellow.

Cant quite work out if I prefer him and Ethan is miss individual games or would it have been better to lose them both for same match.

Im thinking individually but can see logic of other way.
Can’t imagine a scenario where it’s better for them both to miss the same game !

Well I had thought based on early interviews etc. that MS was quite a mild mannered coach in the style of our last two. But having seen him on the touchline and post match last night seems I couldn’t have been more wrong.
Stating the obvious, but if he can get it right on the pitch I could see him becoming a bit of a cult hero with the way he is.

Well I had thought based on early interviews etc. that MS was quite a mild mannered coach in the style of our last two. But having seen him on the touchline and post match last night seems I couldn’t have been more wrong.
Stating the obvious, but if he can get it right on the pitch I could see him becoming a bit of a cult hero with the way he is.
I’ve always thought there was something in it that if a manager wants passion from his players he has to show it himself sometimes.

At Stevenage he was probably slightly overawed. Last night may have been more the real him.

That was the first match that Skoobs( which I presume he will now be known as by the fans) has won as a football league manager. Drawn one lost two at Leeds and obviously lost first one for us. So he had every right to be delighted. Hopefully first of many wins as Imps Manager. Obviously I should say Head Coach but the guy in charge of the team will always be a Manager to me.
He comes across as a quietly spoken intelligent guy but it was obvious by the way he celebrated the win that he has plenty of passion which I think is important. It was also obvious it was genuine passion and not feigned as can often happen in football.
I have a feeling he will be able to get the fans on his side. Massive match for him on Saturday with his first home match be interesting to see what song the 617 have planned for him I have a feeling it might be something to do with a certain
Great Dane.

Can’t imagine a scenario where it’s better for them both to miss the same game !

I think i meant, one game of big pain against two games of slightly less pain.

Anyway it hasnt happened but i would prefer one of them in each game instead of missing both for one game but just wondered on the merits of them missing the same game then re-uniting at Cambridge on Tuesday.

If fans think we are going to play like Barcelona in what is game two of Skoobs tenure, they really need to think again.

I liked it, certainly not bored as I have been prior to Skoobs arrival. He knows what he wants and how to get it, but the reality is it will take time. We probably won’t see a proper Skoobs team until next season. Small beer but a reality all the same. In terms of what he has inherited and doctrine of that system needs to be erased and that takes time.

The most important aspect from me is looking at what Skubala is trying to do- it was clear first half what was being attempted but we were too passive to make any impact. Second half was a different gravy. I don't understand anyone who is berating the team, players etc on a few minutes of football or a single half. Even on a poor half, it was still clear what the players were trying to do.

Yesterday was a great away win with a solid second half performance.

I’ve seen a few opinions on how the team was set up last night and comments about Smith shoukd play in his natural position.
I’m not sure how much comes across with pictures on ifollow or how reliable Michael Hortins explaination of team shape goes so this is how I saw it last night.
We played a solid back 3 but Sorensen and Duffy played much higher than Saturday when they had the chance. Erhahon played as a single anchor midfield player with Smith to his right and Hamilton to his left a little bit ahead of him. This should surely suit Smith as it was an orthodox midfield position but he didn’t have a great game. This was nothing to do with him playing out of position, it was more that his first touch was so poor and his passing astray. He did work hard though and covered a lot of ground but he looked absolute knackered for the last 20 minutes and I was surprised he wasn’t subbed but those last 20 mins were our best of the game so understand why MS left him on. Vale was the main central striker with Adelakun supporting him and trying to work as a two but it didnt really work well. Different personel as the two and it could be our best formation with the present squad.
The big change was the subs last night, for the first time for a long time they swung the balance of the game. Makama occupied the whole back line and Mandy had a bit of a free rein to pick a few passes. Burroughs seem to be a bit more defensive than Duffy understandably so as Duffy is a winger but it gave a bit more space for Mandy down the left side so it worked well.
That’s how I saw things from a good viewing position highish up on the side of the pitch so I hope it helps others to understand how we were set up last night.

Few interesting comments on Vale, I think he looks like he has a lot of quality but we aren’t playing to his strengths. With current injuries, if Duffy and Sorenson are wing backs I wouldn’t mind seeing front 3 change to Makama and Vale as forward 2 with Danny M behind. I think what Makama is good at Vale isn’t and vice versa - could make a decent partnership. Too stress, that’s with current injuries!

Attendance was 7,036 with 362 away, as above.

8,101 was the attendance at the abandoned game on 3 October.

Attendance was 7,036 with 362 away, as above.

8,101 was the attendance at the abandoned game on 3 October.
The capacity is about 9,200, they must have counted one heck of a lot of ST holders who did not attend to get either of those attendance figures. The 3 stands around us were barely half full and our half of the stand where we were sat holds just over a thousand and we only took 382 fans. Home fans thought there may have been 5 to 6 thousand there at a push.

The capacity is about 9,200, they must have counted one heck of a lot of ST holders who did not attend to get either of those attendance figures. The 3 stands around us were barely half full and our half of the stand where we were sat holds just over a thousand and we only took 382 fans. Home fans thought there may have been 5 to 6 thousand there at a push.
It looked very sparse on iFollow on Tuesday, that's for sure.