Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Lincoln City | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Lincoln City

If it’s CPR it’s not good. That’s never successful

That’s a load of bollocks, good CPR increases chances, keeping some oxygenated blood pumping round, followed by early defibrillation (if possible). Obviously other factors such as age, medical conditions and in or out of hospital arrest changes survival rates.

If no CPR is performed then the chances significantly drop.

Hope the spectator pulls through.

Wasn’t that because they were in a different league rules??

FA Rules apply to all games in this country, even those on Sunday parks. Rule 7 states that all games abandoned are re-played irrespective of score and how long they took place unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise. That latter will only be brought into effect if a similar incident that happened in the Ajax game the other week happened here as that 'should' prevent hooligans trying to get games stopped

Who supplies the match report? According to it the match finished 1-0 after 84 minutes and then our 2 subs came on after 92 minutes. It then states game abandoned due to crowd trouble!

FA Rules apply to all games in this country, even those on Sunday parks. Rule 7 states that all games abandoned are re-played irrespective of score and how long they took place unless the competition rules or organisers determine otherwise. That latter will only be brought into effect if a similar incident that happened in the Ajax game the other week happened here as that 'should' prevent hooligans trying to get games stopped
Just looked at the EFL rules:

"...any League Match which from any cause whatever falls short of 90 (ninety) minutes’ duration may be ordered to count as a completed fixture or be replayed in full or in part on whatever terms and conditions the Board shall in their absolute discretion determine and shall be played in compliance with these Regulations and the Football Association Rules respectively and under the Laws of the Game as approved by the International Football Association Board. In the event of conflict between any such Rules, Regulations and Laws as aforesaid, the Football Association Rules shall prevail."

In practice, as there is only one goal between the teams, it would be replayed.

Who supplies the match report? According to it the match finished 1-0 after 84 minutes and then our 2 subs came on after 92 minutes. It then states game abandoned due to crowd trouble!
That's on iFollow Live Text.

This is the match report section of the club website:

Didn’t listen to the game last night so have got up to see this. Football is irrelevant in a situation like this. All that matters is the well-being of the supporter. I just hope that they have pulled through. As for for the match. Result should stand in my opinion.

Didn’t listen to the game last night so have got up to see this. Football is irrelevant in a situation like this. All that matters is the well-being of the supporter. I just hope that they have pulled through. As for for the match. Result should stand in my opinion.
I agree with the sentiment of the first point.

In terms of the match we were very much in top second half and with a decent amount of play I suspect we would have got a draw.

Why?

Would totally agree with your opening sentiment.

On the actual game if Orient would of been 3 or 4 goals up then they would of had a case for maybe the result standing and we wouldn't have much of an argument against that but with the score at 1 - 0 with over 10 minutes to play then anything could have happened.

They could of gone on to win 2 or 3 nil or we could of equalised then got a last minute winner. Anything could of happened. That is why the only way to fairly settle the game is for it to be fully replayed.

They could replay it starting from the minute it was abandoned but for that you would really have to have exactly the same players on the pitch who were out there at the time of the abandonment and with the distance involved I can't see that as a viable option for 10 minutes of football.

Under the circumstances the only possible solution is to replay the game. Its a bit harsh on Orient as you say but let's hope first and foremost that the fan involved in the medical emergency has survived his/her ordeal.

I think the only fair outcome is to replay the whole game but it starts 1-0 to the Orient.

Best wishes to the fan and his/her family too.

I think the only fair outcome is to replay the whole game but it starts 1-0 to the Orient.

Best wishes to the fan and his/her family too.

But that wouldn't be replaying the game would it.

That would be playing a further 90 minutes of the previous game if you are going to let Orient start a goal up.

I understand what you are saying but there could be, and more than likely will be different players playing in a replayed game, maybe different officials and depending when they play it, different managers in charge of the teams. Unlikely I know but that is why the only fair way to do it is to set a date and just play the whole game again. Its harsh on Orient but it's the only feasible conclusion to come to.

BBC reporting:
"A statement from the English Football League (EFL) on Tuesday said a decision would be made on whether the fixture will be rescheduled or if the result at the time of the abandonment will stand "after consultation with both clubs".

Interesting context from a post on the O's forum..

"It was a shocking thing to see and we are all waiting for news which hopefully will be good.

It prompted me to do some research. For reasons that are not entirely clear, but som people think may have been related to increased awareness of medical risks as a result of COVID, there was a spate of incidents during 2021/22 in which games were suspended due to medical emergencies in the stands. This prompted both the EFL and Premier League to review their procedures and both opted to encourage games to continue while medical emergencies are dealt with.

The EFL gave a bit more detail. It said that there are protocols in place for dealing with medical issues and if supporters draw these events to the attention of players and referees, it circumvents the normal procedures which if anything is riskier for patients. The presumption seems to be that where possible players and officials will not necessarily even be aware of an incident going on. Obviously that is quite possible and sensible in larger grounds and where the emergency is easily dealt with.

Thus the officials at last night's game initially acted in accordance with the current policy of the EFL.

Clearly, however, last night's incident was unusual. A combination of the proximity of the incident to the pitch, the compactness of our ground and the seriousness of the emergency made it impossible for anyone not to be aware of what was happening.

At this stage you would hope that the referee has some discretion. From a fairly distant vantage point in the South Stand what I saw was supporters and players taking charge. The referee stopped the match when the pitch invasion took place but kept the players on the field and it certainly seemed from where I was that the Lincoln captain, after a conversation on the sideline, was the one who suspended the match and waved the players off.

It will be a complicated matter to unpick . A pitch invasion and an unauthorised suspension of the match if that's what happened are both punishable offences and I hope the EFL uses some common sense. It is only a football match when all is said and done."

It seems common sense prevailed if the above is true (hurrah for that!), and it goes without saying all of it is pretty irrelevant in comparison to the trauma the person and their family have suffered....