Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City | Page 25 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City

Thank you for your sledgehammer wit @Pompeyimp2

Though it's a shame you've interpreted what I said wrongly. A little more attention to my lectures would be helpful. Must do better.

I think you think, Brendan that there are still plenty of us full of self entitlement.

You believe that there are a lot more people that jump on this site when we lose just to stick the knife in.

And I believe that you think we should get our head out our arses cos we're not very good anyway and our expectations are too high.

I think you think, Brendan that there are still plenty of us full of self entitlement.

You believe that there are a lot more people that jump on this site when we lose just to stick the knife in.

And I believe that you think we should get our head out our arses cos we're not very good anyway and our expectations are too high.

Ha ha ha, yes, kind of.

In reality some people do have expectations not borne out of the reality of who we're competing against. But we are also a dozen points shy of where we should be and we could all debate that - and do - indefinitely.

We have good players and when they put it together it's well worth watching. Not being able to maintain that from one game to another is massively frustrating.

Hesketh, quite possibly, but Adam Marriott?!?

I know he wasn't perfect - due to the injury and all - but you must be talking about a different Adam Marriott to the one I continue to worship. Feet of a Brazilian, mate.
The same Adam Marriott that put Arnold through on goal with a beautiful turn and precise pass. The goal that had a massive part in us being where we are now. Yep, definitely on the same level as Jake Hesketh!

The 352 looked awful from the start

all the space was either side of the LCB/RCB

a wide pitch and lots of space meant Ipswich could have a man either side of our back 3.

when playing a back 3 if it’s on your side you race up to the halfway line to cover the wingback

not a flat 3 with space either side

We have had our problems this season and last night was a poor performance, but if we're talking expectations and reality; last time I checked a half decent/average run in to the end of the season would put us on a par with or above Charlton.

Ok for Charlton, there's always an Accrington but I find it helps me keep grounded. When you look at this league currently, even if everything goes in your favour recruitment and injury wise, any finish in the top 12 is a huge achievement.

With the problems that have needed to be dealt with this year, staying in L1 remains a worthy achievement.

We have had our problems this season and last night was a poor performance, but if we're talking expectations and reality; last time I checked a half decent/average run in to the end of the season would put us on a par with or above Charlton.

Ok for Charlton, there's always an Accrington but I find it helps me keep grounded. When you look at this league currently, even if everything goes in your favour recruitment and injury wise, any finish in the top 12 is a huge achievement.

With the problems that have needed to be dealt with this year, staying in L1 remains a worthy achievement.
Staying in League 1 for 3 seasons is a huge achievement considering our record over the last 60 years. Some big clubs with huge budgets are against us now.
I'll be happy to stay in this league. The Championship is well beyond us so don't get carried away.

Talking short term or long term? If it’s short term, then yes, staying in L1 is a worthy goal. Longer term, if this is the height of our ambition, then why bother? We have to back ourselves to do better, but in a sustainable way. It will take some time and effort, but if we believe that the Championship is beyond us, that we are just ‘little old Lincoln’ then it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and there’s only one way you can travel from there. We need balance between the reality and the dream, and a vision for enjoyable football and advancement. I see no reason to complain about performances that are sub-par. It’s not a question of being ‘entitled’ and not keeping things in perspective, it’s just venting frustration of what’s happening in the here and now. It’s perfectly possible to be concerned about what’s happening over the last 24 hours, 24 days, or 24 months, yet know that in the scheme of things the foundations are being put in place for a sustainable rosy future.

It didn't take long for Saturday to evaporate did it, and more wallowing in self pity to come flooding back? There were more pages on this match thread by 10 o'clock last night than on the whole Sheffield Wednesday one.

As poor as it was, the inability of supporters to keep even the remotest sense of perspective is as inconsistent as this infuriating team.

I am going to take it on my shoulders to apologise to you on behalf of the minions who dont like or cant appreciate losing . We must be missing so much not to be able to appreciate our players falling over and so allowing a forward to assist , or watching a yellow shirt pass the ball to a blue shirt with regular monotony .
So sorry !

Talking short term or long term? If it’s short term, then yes, staying in L1 is a worthy goal. Longer term, if this is the height of our ambition, then why bother? We have to back ourselves to do better, but in a sustainable way. It will take some time and effort, but if we believe that the Championship is beyond us, that we are just ‘little old Lincoln’ then it will become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and there’s only one way you can travel from there. We need balance between the reality and the dream, and a vision for enjoyable football and advancement. I see no reason to complain about performances that are sub-par. It’s not a question of being ‘entitled’ and not keeping things in perspective, it’s just venting frustration of what’s happening in the here and now. It’s perfectly possible to be concerned about what’s happening over the last 24 hours, 24 days, or 24 months, yet know that in the scheme of things the foundations are being put in place for a sustainable rosy future.

my local club Yeovil not so long ago we’re championship level now they are mid table conference. I have a horrible suspicion that if we went up without really being ready it might break us.

the immediate future as I see it is becoming a solid league 1 team who reach the magic 50 without too much stress. Beyond that I assume we would look to become more sustainable buy non-league players or premier league cast offs and turn them into players who will move us up the league and turn a profit. We can then reinvest and attract a better player. This steady evolution is healthy.

this process can happen irrespective of who is the manager and I assume it will be part of the assessment criteria when selecting managers.