Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City | Page 23 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City

There is something in that but at least he did show for the ball, have a couple of decent moments (very Adelakun performance) and look to get involved in the game. There were one or two others out there who weren't involved in the game whatsoever and as such played more poorly than Whittaker imo.

On Saturday he did ok because everybody around him played well as a team; tonight he was badly exposed out of position in the first half because nobody in the team played well; and like I say at least he didn't hide.
Played out of position so why was he selected there?

Random thoughts:

Was that team selection with the AFCW game in mind?

The ref's performance had nothing to do with our defeat but he was embarrassingly incompetent. They should put L-plates on these guys.

I thought the first goal took a big deflection off Poole. I could be seeing things.

Our midfield couldn't tackle a toddler between them.

And now McGrandles is suspended, there will be no one at all challenging for the ball for two whole games. I would have left him out of the side tonight, he would have been more useful against AFCW.

When Ipswich got the ball, they all streamed forward at speed; when Lincoln got the ball in similar areas, it went sideways, backwards, out of play, or to a blue shirt.

Why is every game I pay to watch on iFollow a poor performance? Uncanny.

Played out of position so why was he selected there?
Bramall is carrying a knock, Robson is injured. He's the only left footed player who is used to playing in a wide position with a modicum of mobility and frankly under the circumstances if we are playing 3 at the back, was the only logical makeshift player to play the role.

We were playing well until the first mistake, then just disappeared from the match.

That just about sums up the match. At 2-0 it just sort of petered out with Ipswich well in control and realising we weren't good enough to trouble them.

With Bramall on it was noticeable Ipswich were less of a threat down that side - but, again, that might have been due to them realising with the game won at 2-0 they'd no need to over-extend themselves.

Whittaker was a bit in-and-out in the second half, but did at least look more use in that role behind the front two than at wing-back. It was an increasingly unhappy game for Maguire, especially when he moved up front in place of Cullen, and Scully was an improvement.

With a back three we really need a left-footed player on the left of them. Hopefully Walsh will be back on Saturday, with Eyoma - disappointing tonight - the one to be left out.

But we carried little threat going forward, with only Scully right at the end close to scoring, with the nearest we'd got before that being Norton-Cuffy's effort that was neither a cross or a shot.

Not sure if it was this forum or another years ago (probably Cowley's first season or earlier) that I stated "The lower leagues are a lottery of who gets lucky with loan players."

We saw the lucky side last season.

......and I am getting friggin sick of hearing 'we go again on Saturday'.

Go where exactly, we keep getting the same crap peddled out or someone trying to justify a defeat....Yeah justify a defeat.

I am genuinely now starting to feel a bit sorry for the manager, yeah he got some tactical things wrong tonight but that's because he showed faith in the system that brought us such a good performance and result on Saturday and he trusted those players to give him that sort of performances again.

The players let him down and whatever is said publicly that will be nothing compared to the round of fucks he would of served up to them after that.

He will be thinking what's the point, might as well just give them a couple of days off, travel down to London on Friday, send the same lot out on Saturday and let them get on with it.

Really, would it make any difference??

He hasn't got a clue what these players are going to serve up as a performance...just like the rest of us.

i am not surprised at this result. We are incapable of any consistency. One step forward one step back. The only positive is we have all got rid of one more game and have largely stayed were we are. Hopefully we will keep this pattern up ie a bottom half full of shit teams who never win and we will be ok. I think it will be tight.

what happens next season. Do we change the system the management or the players? something is not working as it should be.

Maybe harsh, but Cullen so far reminds me a bit of Adam Marriot, or possibly Jake Hesketh .. a tidy footballer no doubt but just doesn't seem to get the ball nearly enough ~ and doesn't have the strength or speed to do that much with it when he does get it. I'm sure he could unlock the defence with a nicely weighted pass given the right opportunity ~ just they dont come along all that often.

Maybe harsh, but Cullen so far reminds me a bit of Adam Marriot, or possibly Jake Hesketh .. a tidy footballer no doubt but just doesn't seem to get the ball nearly enough ~ and doesn't have the strength or speed to do that much with it when he does get it. I'm sure he could unlock the defence with a nicely weighted pass given the right opportunity ~ just they dont come along all that often.

Definitely reminds me of Hesketh. Just a nothing player - no real speed, strength or skill, not a 'fox in the box' . I don't know what he offers the team at all.

Just reached a spot where I can get a signal and whilst disappointed by the result not too down as we can’t win them all. As a previous manager said “Don’t too high when we win or too low when we lose”. Just hope we get a result on Saturday, although our recent record against the teams below us is poor. Shame about McGrandles being suspended as he is vital for us this season.

Yeah Cullen has been poor so far. Is House injured or is he just not fancied/on method yet?

i am not surprised at this result. We are incapable of any consistency. One step forward one step back. The only positive is we have all got rid of one more game and have largely stayed were we are. Hopefully we will keep this pattern up ie a bottom half full of shit teams who never win and we will be ok. I think it will be tight.

what happens next season. Do we change the system the management or the players? something is not working as it should be.
I would say the system.

Make it so every club had the same budget, something like a salary cap... oh no that was last season.

With the current "system" things are working as they should.

Ipswich look to have spent quite well.

I know we looked toothless but Ipswich have conceded 2 goals in the last 10 games.

A positive result on Saturday and will have been a good week.

We were 7 clear of the relegation zone before kick off, and now we’re 6 clear.

No major damage done. And we’ve managed to tick off Ipswich (a) in the process.

However, it’s obvious from resting Hopper and Walsh that MA sees Wimbledon as the more important game.

If we can get the 3 points then you have to say fair play.

I consider Saturday as a “must-win”, but I’m looking forward to a smart-arse explaining to me how it can’t be because of the amount of games left!