Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Ipswich Town v Lincoln City

That wasn’t a great spectacle, which is no great surprise after the number of meetings between us both this season. You’d expect both teams to have learned how to counter the respective threats.

It’s clearly evident from the results on our travels that we struggle to play with the same fluency that underpins our home performances. I’m at a loss to suggest why that is.

There was plenty of faffing from both sides. Ipswich denied us the time and space to play the quick passages that we’ve been seen in recent weeks and their slow build up play meant in general that we dealt with them relatively easily. Both sides were unable to adapt to break the other down.

In such tight circumstances it was perhaps inevitable the game would be decided by a mistake. It was a poor goal to concede. The free kick was unnecessary, the defending was non existent, and it should have been saved. A catalogue of errors.

Their relief at the final whistle, I suspect, was a reaction to their poor home form rather than averting any real threat from us. We weren’t good enough today to take advantage of their vulnerable back line.

It wasn’t a bad performance from us but it was illustrative of how unpredictable this league is proving. I just wish we could turn it on away from home

We’ve been beaten 1-0 away to Ipswich in front of 19000 in the league 1 whilst the cods get beat to Ollie Palmer in front of 2500 I’m never happy we’ve lost but happy for the opportunity we currently have with MApp
Considering the ins and outs over this transfer window it hardly surprises me we weren’t at our best
Fancy us to push Pompey on Tuesday night which in itself is a credit to the club and team that we play Pompey at home in the league and not Macclesfield next
Agree with your philosophy but we haven’t been good away from home all season never mind the transfer window

Mercifully looks like the lad is still alive but on life support, fingers crossed he's pulls through.
He got attacked in the early hours in Retford it would appear, poor lad

It’s clearly evident from the results on our travels that we struggle to play with the same fluency that underpins our home performances. I’m at a loss to suggest why that is.

I think away we have a basic tactic of trying to keep it tighter than we do at home and if we go behind unless we get a quick response we start to perhaps try too hard and rush things late on in the game. The last three away games I've been to illustrate this. Burton we got a very early goal which helped with this tactic and we saw the game out for the win. Coventry and Shrewsbury first halves were similar to today where containment was the first priority. In both those games we conceded first half quite close to half time. In both matches our second half performances were far better with the only difference being the penalty at Shrews early on in the second half which ultimately earned us a point. We were then unfortunate not to go on and win. It's getting that lead and/or a quick response that ultimately dictates what our away results will be.
Next away game is at Southend who as we know are pretty poor this season so perhaps we should try and play there as if we are at home

In a bizarre twist seems he’s not dead

Well, indeed.
Although still on life support with a fractured skull after late night brawls in centre of Retford last night.
Another man with a broken jaw and another with a broken nose.

Jordan, whilst still on life support, is in a critical condition.

It is quite odd though that he was announced as having died earlier in the day with two clubs calling their matches off and Huddersfield and Halifax also holding tributes to him.

Sad news anyway.

I think away matches have been written off this season. Appears to be damage limitation on the road which is a shame.

sounds like buggering about at the back is the current thing in football because even the league leaders do it and get it wrong.

bbc lincs hit the nail on the head when they said not made premiership teams so it well.

mind boggles but I guess if all teams do it the scores are probably going to be 4/5/6 a piece every week.

Still 12th but have played up to 3 games more than everyone else and yet we have still played 4 more games away than home. Crazy Stuff. The 18,000 gate today puts the away average at an amazing 10,068. The hardy 749 Imps drops (😲) our away average to a still very Impressive 1,352. In comparison 3 years ago we got beat 3-0 at Barrow in front of 1,152 with 124 very hardy Imps in attendance. I think we’re not doing to badly!!

That was some journey on a Tuesday night - and we went on Ashton Tours!

The level of ineptitude throughout this team is staggering. You could replace Vickers, Eardley, Anderson and Walker with broken Subbuteo players and see no diminution of ability or effectiveness. Utter tripe. I don’t care what they’ve done in the past, they’re not playing for last weeks gate and iFollow money.

As a newbie (I guess to football overall as well as this forum), suggesting inanimate objects would play better is so ridiculous as to produce ridicule itself.

Today was poor, the game plan (such as it was) didn't come off, their high pressing game meant playing out from the back created immediate pressure our defensive lines and put us under pressure.

First half we were better than second half (indeed both JJ and Walker came very close to scoring)- indeed a very decent shout for a penalty (handball) from one run wasn't given.

That doesn't mean the first half was great but we were away from home against a top 3 team who had hit form so break away chances were always going to be our opportunities and we have more than a couple.

Less said about the 2nd half the better- we were poor at winning the 2nd ball, we were poor in our distribution, we were light weight in controlling the ball and being knocked off it, we were ineffective with our wing play.

Controlling possession doesn't convert to a better team and they created little either in the way of opportunity (in fact it was a scrappy, poor, disjointed game all round).

First time since MA was here that we really failed to step up and match their game plan with our own Plan B- their high pressing middle line (which meant our middle four dropped way to deep and created, particularly 2nd half) a big gap between our isolated front two and the middle four and we failed to counter that or take advantage of the gaps behind their middle line.

Still, if we won them all we'd be Liverpool- not the best away day (in fact probably one of the worst). Thought 749 away fans was quite light as well (I am sure we took 2,000 this season for the FA Cup at Portman Road) but stewards were great and better than most I've come across this season.

Days like this happen (last couple of seasons alone, Crawley away, Colchester away, Crewe away, Barrow away) and I am sure MA will be looking to work out what is needed to deliver our home form but when we play away.

4 hours to get home gave me plenty of time to wind down (once I'd managed to get out of Ipswich!) and we win together and lost together. Won't be the last time I am disappointed away from home but NYD won't be the last time I am bouncing at home either. Take the rough with the smooth. Today was rough!

I’m a Co-op season ticket holder: block 5, M131. I’ll be there on Tuesday night should you wish to repeat that to my face.

If you think that throwaway personal insults are the appropriate response to a fellow supporter’s frustration with his team, then you should lower your expectations of a peaceful existence.

Welcome to the internet, new to it are you?

As a newbie (I guess to football overall as well as this forum), suggesting inanimate objects would play better is so ridiculous as to produce ridicule itself.

Today was poor, the game plan (such as it was) didn't come off, their high pressing game meant playing out from the back created immediate pressure our defensive lines and put us under pressure.

First half we were better than second half (indeed both JJ and Walker came very close to scoring)- indeed a very decent shout for a penalty (handball) from one run wasn't given.

That doesn't mean the first half was great but we were away from home against a top 3 team who had hit form so break away chances were always going to be our opportunities and we have more than a couple.

Less said about the 2nd half the better- we were poor at winning the 2nd ball, we were poor in our distribution, we were light weight in controlling the ball and being knocked off it, we were ineffective with our wing play.

Controlling possession doesn't convert to a better team and they created little either in the way of opportunity (in fact it was a scrappy, poor, disjointed game all round).

First time since MA was here that we really failed to step up and match their game plan with our own Plan B- their high pressing middle line (which meant our middle four dropped way to deep and created, particularly 2nd half) a big gap between our isolated front two and the middle four and we failed to counter that or take advantage of the gaps behind their middle line.

Still, if we won them all we'd be Liverpool- not the best away day (in fact probably one of the worst). Thought 749 away fans was quite light as well (I am sure we took 2,000 this season for the FA Cup at Portman Road) but stewards were great and better than most I've come across this season.

Days like this happen (last couple of seasons alone, Crawley away, Colchester away, Crewe away, Barrow away) and I am sure MA will be looking to work out what is needed to deliver our home form but when we play away.

4 hours to get home gave me plenty of time to wind down (once I'd managed to get out of Ipswich!) and we win together and lost together. Won't be the last time I am disappointed away from home but NYD won't be the last time I am bouncing at home either. Take the rough with the smooth. Today was rough!
A really good post but we are half way through the season so surely by now it should be sorted what is going wrong away from home. Or is it just me.

I’m a Co-op season ticket holder: block 5, M131. I’ll be there on Tuesday night should you wish to repeat that to my face. My site name is my real name, should you be asking for me.

On the basis you've managed to pee people off on this forum after 15 messages and threaten other forum members to boot, I'd lower your expectations ever further of staying on this forum!

The level of ineptitude throughout this team is staggering. You could replace Vickers, Eardley, Anderson and Walker with broken Subbuteo players and see no diminution of ability or effectiveness. Utter tripe. I don’t care what they’ve done in the past, they’re not playing for last weeks gate and iFollow money.

You should have been at Whitehawk mate.