Match thread: Forest Vs Middlesbrough Sponsored by Financial Fair Play | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match thread: Forest Vs Middlesbrough Sponsored by Financial Fair Play

Great result - get the right (final) pieces of the jigsaw in and we could surprise a few this year. The right two would probably do it, three would be a bonus!

Let's hope we can learn to beat the poorer sides this year...

toms - 20/8/2017 10:28

This really does sound a very encouraging performance although having seen the highlights Boro had the type of chances that should have turned the result the other way.

Clearly Warburton is creating a Brentford type effect at the club as I thought he would

Do people feel that this is different to the feeling when Pearce had that amazing start to the season, only for us to fall badly. Are we getting ahead of ourselves like then?

COYR

It's different but it's a long long way from the finished article. We are going to gave dips in form, make collective and individual mistakes. What's key is that the players learn and the fans stay patient.

toms - 20/8/2017 10:28

This really does sound a very encouraging performance although having seen the highlights Boro had the type of chances that should have turned the result the other way.

Clearly Warburton is creating a Brentford type effect at the club as I thought he would

Do people feel that this is different to the feeling when Pearce had that amazing start to the season, only for us to fall badly. Are we getting ahead of ourselves like then?

COYR

I was at the match and then I watched the highlights and I wondered if it was the same match. Yes Middlesbrough were pressing for the equaliser and yes BA was missing a few but they should have shown the Forest excellent passing game in the first half.

Feco - 20/8/2017 07:58

forestfire_59 - 20/8/2017 06:34

Whilst I accept Smith's distribution needs further development he's young, will learn and is worth his place. He's a keeper!

We've got our Forest back!

Smith actually alluded to this in his post match interview.
He mentioned that his loan spells at both been at non league sides where all he was required to do was kick it as far as possible.
Playing out from the back is something new to him and he is working hard to improve.

Personally I would be very disappointed if he got dropped for a more 'experienced' keeper. He's done very little wrong since he got his chance and I feel he absolutely deserves his place.

I've managed to see every league game this season, and as a unit they have improved every time out.
There is nobody in this league we need to fear.

I agree now too, he is improving a lot in a short space and the team as a whole is getting better by every game.

Barnsley somehow did a number on us but in 10 or 15 games time we could be seeing some real nice total football.

Please let's not start kidding ourselves about the top six. In doing so people make us victims of our own (four game) success.

We will not be top six this season, no chance.

We have an amazing record against the top teams but we have already shown this season that a weaker team putting in a concentrated defensive display can keep us out if they want to even when we play well. Barnsley have been dreadful, their only points against us but they won't be the last to exploit silly individual errors and then successfully shut up shop.

I expect we'll be victims of that often this season. We don't have any individual outstanding talents yet who can turn games in their own. McKay, maybe Bouchalakis, maybe Cummings can all become that but they won't be every week this season.

This is a problem that is going to take more than a season to fix.

And that's before we start facing bad pitches in the winter or any outstanding teams on a good day. Boro did not have a good day yesterday but they would still have won if Assombalonga had done his job. Against anyone else he would probably have buried two of his chances.

60 points for me this season please and enjoy the journey and I'll put no more pressure on than good squad development and ten points progress

Pope John XXIII - 20/8/2017 11:53

Please let's not start kidding ourselves about the top six. In doing so people make us victims of our own (four game) success.

We have an amazing record against the top teams but we have already shown this season that a weaker team putting in a concentrated defensive display can keep us out if they want to even when we play well. Barnsley have been dreadful, their only points against us but they won't be the last to exploit silly individual errors and then successfully shut up shop.

I expect we'll be victims of that often this season. We don't have any individual outstanding talents yet who can turn games in their own. McKay, maybe Bouchalakis, maybe Cummings can all become that but they won't be every week this season.

And that's before we start facing bad pitches in the winter or any outstanding teams on a good day. Boro did not have a good day yesterday but they would still have won if Assombalonga had done his job. Against anyone else he would probably have buried two of his chances.

60 points for me this season please and enjoy the journey and I'll put no more pressure on than good squad development and ten points progress

Agree with all of that.

Reversing the downwards trajectory of the last five years and actually resembling a functioning football club on and off the pitch is the first priority.

If you offered me anything above 12th, a development of this great new style and a halfway decent cup run, I'd snatch your hand off.

Progress on and off the pitch.
That's all we want. To be entertained, to know everyone at the club is pulling in the right direction.
I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday, I still think we will finish mid table, we need to keep our feet on the ground but it looks to me that we have our Forest back.
COYR!!

I agree slow steady improvement. Assuming an addition or two over the next fortnight, what do we do about giving experience to the younger players. Yates, Grant and Iacovetti have gone out on loan. Does Warburton loan out some of the others to experience the rough and tumble of league football or does he keep them to learn the MW way. Could possibly loan out Walker McDonagh, Ebser, The swedish lad and Evitmov. If next season or later is the target, these are the players we will be expecting big things from.

Good post Pope.

Nope I am going to repeat what I have been saying from before th season started we are going to do a Brighton under CH

In his first full season he got them into the playoffs after they had been gash the season before

But he recruited well and in the right areas just like we have

I'm not going to go full on like Woanz and think we are going to get promoted this season

But if we had signed Irvine or McDonald to play in this team then the top 2 would not be out of the question

If we get Bridcutt I think we could have a sneaky pop at the top 2 this year

Some people doubted MW and his style of play and some absolute garbage was written about his first few games at the club and how many points he had got and the style of play he quickly implemented ...

On reflection...

...I can see how both Boro fans and Millwall fans might see Forest as very lucky to beat them. After all, they had more chances and more shots on target.

I find it hard to believe we only had 3 on target on Saturday, and if that includes Worrall's tame header that just leaves the goal and the penalty. Even the highlights on the OS manage to miss out our first half dominance and our other dangerous attacking moments, leaving the impression that it was all Boro.

The stats from the away games tell a different story, but we are a work in progress and while the passing game is growing in confidence it's still fragile. Nine points from four games is a great start.

Nothing wrong with being cautious, after all three of the four teams we have played currently sit 20th 23rd and 24th in the league table and only one club in the whole division has conceded more goals; so on that basis another 46 points will see us safe.

The flip side to that is we are looking better by the game with hopefully a load more improvement to come.

We still have the chance to make more signings, both in this window and the one in January.

Looking at the table there are only three sides who have not suffered defeat after four games which indicates the league will be as tight as ever.

Anything is possible!

There is also a very large element of wishful thinking on my part as I am sat on an each way accumulator covering Manchester City, us, MK Dons and Notts County, which will return 270K if they all win their respective divisions, and a far more realistic treble of us, Fleetwood and Notts to finish top six which will return 2K.

mao tse tung - 21/8/2017 09:06

Nothing wrong with being cautious, after all three of the four teams we have played currently sit 20th 23rd and 24th in the league table and only one club in the whole division has conceded more goals; so on that basis another 46 points will see us safe.

Good point

Another 41 points should be enough though!