Match Thread: Forest Vs Birmingham Sponsored by Steve Cotterill's P45 | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Forest Vs Birmingham Sponsored by Steve Cotterill's P45

Hardy Sorry do you mind posting in the off topic football thread. I don’t know how you can expect the clique to continue their riveting exchange when you are talking about football and forest. You are usually a super poster but this kind of behaviour is not on.

toms - 4/3/2018 21:42

Hardy Sorry do you mind posting in the off topic football thread. I don’t know how you can expect the clique to continue their riveting exchange when you are talking about football and forest. You are usually a super poster but this kind of behaviour is not on.

THIS

I for one am sick of jbacsta and his clique littering the forum with their boring repetitive posts :20:

Hardy Forest - 4/3/2018 21:35

Pope John XXIII - 4/3/2018 17:35

Hardy Forest - 4/3/2018 17:16

forestfire_59 - 4/3/2018 16:03

It’s often the case that a team fighting for their championship lives, get a result that belies their position in the league. Under such circumstances it’s understandable that the more competent team get sucked in. This is where complacency can take hold. I have no doubt it was a crap game, but these are games that you grind out the result, and move on.

Got the 3 points, end of .... next ?

Except we didn't grind anything out. The only reason we didn't lose or draw that game was down to terrible finishing by Birmingham. They missed two absolute sitters that had nothing to do with us.

Did you go?

That's not a dig, it's a genuine question as to whether that is how you saw it or what you have gleaned from elsewhere.

I didn't see it that way at all. We had more and better chances than them IMO

They should have buried one of their chances in the first half but they didn't.

Second half Cash hit the bar and Osborn should have put his chance in the top corner. There were other opportunities too.

You could easily interpret that game as one we should have won 3-0.

It was absolutely one we ground out in my view. First goal was crucial and despite our Fullbacks being a disaster and Maghoma having a riot tearing Osborn a new arsehole they never really convinced that they could get back in the game, let alone win it- in my view.

I felt the score was fair- they did enough to score but not to win points

Yes I absolutely did, drove 30 miles through snow and ice, did you?

You yourself said it was a poor game. If you read my summary, you would know what I thought of it. I thought it apwas a very poor performance with several good individual performances. I thought Cash, Tomlin, Colback and Lolley did well, the rest very average.
We created and took two good chances and were very unlucky with Cash's effort that hit the bar. We created very little else, at best half chances. So we could have got three. Birmingham had three, what I would call, absolute sitters. Just about anyone else would have scored them. On top of that they ran the first half after we scored. It was more even in the second.
So in my opinion we didn't grind it out. If they had taken all of their very easy chances, we would have lost 2-3. I don't think Cash's effort was a sitter, it was an excellent effort which was very unlucky not to go in. Theirs were just criminal misses.

No, I drove 5 minutes and walked for 15 as usual.

I never said Cash's was a sitter I don't think, but Osborn's was.

Had they taken pretty much every chance they had then yes, they might have won 2-3 but that's a real Cotterill statement. Had we taken our additional chances as well we would have won 5-3 at worst.

The reality is that Birmingham absolutely blew their chances. I think Pantillimon made one good save in the second half? Their other chances they absolutely skied. A great chance saved miraculously by the goalkeeper might be unlucky; a good chance that you put into orbit is just plain shit. It's why they are where they are and why they deserved nothing from the game IMO.

A game against inferior opposition where you don't play well at all, you let them into it and things don't go the way you want but you still win... That sounds pretty much like the definition of grinding out a win to me

jbacsta - 4/3/2018 21:01

30 page and counting match thread over on LTLF, the content of which beats most of what passes for posts on here into a cocked hat. Sorry, had to be said.

So why are you here then?

There are plenty of comments on the match, feel free to contribute something of worth.

Only drove 5 minutes that’s terrible commitment if only you put the effort you do into arguing your monotonous mind numbing monologues or your tedious trailing text.

ALWAYS THE VICTIM ITS NEVER YOUR FAULT

LyttleByLyttle - 5/3/2018 08:25

There are plenty of comments on the match, feel free to contribute something of worth.

Made me smile though. And on reflection accurate as well.

LBL, this is not a complaint, live and let live and all that.

Woanz - 4/3/2018 22:26

Only drove 5 minutes that’s terrible commitment if only you put the effort you do into arguing your monotonous mind numbing monologues or your tedious trailing text.

Must say there are some excellent examples of alliteration in the above post. You should post like this more often...

LyttleByLyttle - 4/3/2018 22:25

Merely a bit of humour...don’t mind threads occasionally broken up by the same old repetitive groups of jokes and banter from the clique.

Said my two pennies worth earlier. Karanka is no doubt in my mind turning the ship around.

toms - 5/3/2018 07:02

Woanz - 4/3/2018 22:26

Must say there are some excellent examples of alliteration in the above post. You should post like this more often...

:19:

It’s often the case that a team fighting for their championship lives, get a result that belies their position in the league. Under such circumstances it’s understandable that the more competent team get sucked in. This is where complacency can take hold. I have no doubt it was a crap game, but these are games that you grind out the result, and move on.

Except we didn't grind anything out. The only reason we didn't lose or draw that game was down to terrible finishing by Birmingham. They missed two absolute sitters that had nothing to do with us.

Did you go?

That's not a dig, it's a genuine question as to whether that is how you saw it or what you have gleaned from elsewhere.

Second half Cash hit the bar and Osborn should have put his chance in the top corner. There were other opportunities too.

It was absolutely one we ground out in my view. First goal was crucial and despite our Fullbacks being a disaster and Maghoma having a riot tearing Osborn a new arsehole they never really convinced that they could get back in the game, let alone win it- in my view.

You yourself said it was a poor game. If you read my summary, you would know what I thought of it. I thought it apwas a very poor performance with several good individual performances. I thought Cash, Tomlin, Colback and Lolley did well, the rest very average.
We created and took two good chances and were very unlucky with Cash's effort that hit the bar. We created very little else, at best half chances. So we could have got three. Birmingham had three, what I would call, absolute sitters. Just about anyone else would have scored them. On top of that they ran the first half after we scored. It was more even in the second.
So in my opinion we didn't grind it out. If they had taken all of their very easy chances, we would have lost 2-3. I don't think Cash's effort was a sitter, it was an excellent effort which was very unlucky not to go in. Theirs were just criminal misses.

Fair play to you for turning up, Hardy; toughing it out in such conditions puts a good few on here to shame, you know, the ones who think its more important to have an opinion than to actually go to the game.

There is only one point from what you have posted to take issue with; we did grind it out, that is an inescapable fact.

You state we did not play well - we clearly did not, you said Birmingham controlled large parts of the game - they did, you said they missed chances, which they did - yet we won 2 -1 and got the points - its not like we sat back after the first goal, we kept plugging away and scraped the win - if that is not grinding it out wtf is it?

I would agree with the bit about individual performances; did you notice how predominantly left sided Lolley is? Only it does not show up too well on the highlights package

Pope John XXIII - 4/3/2018 22:08

Did you go?

No, I drove 5 minutes and walked for 15 as usual.

I never said Cash's was a sitter I don't think, but Osborn's was.

Had they taken pretty much every chance they had then yes, they might have won 2-3 but that's a real Cotterill statement. Had we taken our additional chances as well we would have won 5-3 at worst.

The reality is that Birmingham absolutely blew their chances. I think Pantillimon made one good save in the second half? Their other chances they absolutely skied. A great chance saved miraculously by the goalkeeper might be unlucky; a good chance that you put into orbit is just plain shit. It's why they are where they are and why they deserved nothing from the game IMO.

A game against inferior opposition where you don't play well at all, you let them into it and things don't go the way you want but you still win... That sounds pretty much like the definition of grinding out a win to me

That's absolutely my point Pope, Birmingham blew their chances, we didn't prevent them. It was down to them missing, nothing to do with us. It wasn't a Cotterill statement at all, the two chances they had in the first half any one would of scored nine out of ten times. The kids at half time could have put them away. We aren't talking half chances here.
Grinding out a win to me when you are not playing well, is digging in, fighting hard and preventing the other team from winning. Then looking to take a chance yourself if one falls your way. Granted we did a lot of that, except for the preventing bit. They should have had two goals from the gifts we presented them with. Do that on Sunday and Derby will bury us.

I see what you are saying Hardy.

But this isn't high scoring Wolves uncharacteristically missing loads of chances. That I could agree was lucky perhaps.

This was the lowest scorers in the division. Missing sitters is what they do. They aren't where they are because they have awful players- it's because they are shite at both ends of the pitch.

It's just differing perspectices- I see their missed chances as their weakness, not ours (and I would say the same if roles were reversed, as I have little charity for missed chances). I see them missing chances as confirmation that we deserved to win, rather than as evidence that we did not.

I agree that we conceded a couple of golden chances that we should not have, no question about it. I can't say I'm not concerned by that and you are absolutely right that no other team we play will be as charitable. It's good that we chose to be that bad against the right side then!

the jock - 5/3/2018 20:38

Brennan Johnson just scored for the u23s against hull. David's son.

Ended up winning 3 - 0

They are now 4 points from top with 2 games in hand with 9 games to go.