Match Thread: Exeter City v Lincoln City | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Exeter City v Lincoln City

Sometimes you have to accept an away point as a decent result especially if you play badly. On the back of two excellent performances it's a decent result.
The thing we have to get a grip on is our discipline, a team that suffers with injuries can't afford to have important players out suspended.
Exactly this.

Maybe Sorensen can return to fullback. Adelakun on the right, Vale up top on Tuesday. Also got Mandroiu available, so options looking good again.

Just inside the Exeter half as they countered at pace. Paudie beaten and grabbed player’s shoulders and threw him to the ground. Not at all subtle. We had some cover but further up the pitch it would have been a straight red I’m guessing.
… reckon the ref bottled it as their no.31 had already been booked for diving and then should’ve had a 2nd yellow not long after so maybe why Paudie got yellow - well that’s my theory. Could have and should have won this and can see why Exeter struggling at moment. Here’s to 3 points against Oxford but need to improve. Imps 4ever

1 - 1 sounds fair result, disappointing given that we went ahead and Exeter are in terrible form. Sounds like if Roughan puts away his golden chance we have the points in the bag.

On the upside Vale sounds a handful!

Bit concerned how tired we sound after it with a game coming up on Tuesday.
Don't worry, new managers always say they will make them fitter😉

Don’t know what went wrong today. Summary of 3 matches under TS. Fleetwood a poor side away excellent 1st half and 3 points. Charlton at home a very good side. Totally outplayed them after the first 15 mins won the match 3 points. Today Exeter away another poor side without a win in the last 5 or 6 matches. Our passing and retention of the ball was missing today so to end up with a point maybe a good point. Just shows in football in the matter of a week how things can change.
At least what we have seen in the last three matches is our players are allowed to get over the half way line and attack the opposition.

So if we are knackerd from tuesday to saturday how are we going to be ready for tuesday from today?

I think its more how far we ran on Tuesday - I'm sure TS sad it was 8000 metres more in total than the Burton game.

Then a really long road trip for today's game. Another long trip back tonight too, which will probably mean just very light training on Monday and Tuesday before Tuesday night.

Let's hope we can get a bit of zip back, maybe by bringing in Vale and Mandriou. Several players looked very tired today - Sorensen and Roughan especially. Sean was so slow turning for their goal, he looked to have nothing left.

Tom probably should have brought Vale, Brown and Bishop on at 60 minutes, when Exeter made their three changes.

28th October, up to 8th in League1, with a game in hand on some of the other teams above us. No manager, no recognised forwards, the club is in transition at the moment, although today might feel disappointing ,against a team on such a poor run ,and i get that, but again hopefully we can recover for tuesday and give the team in second place a lesson like we did Charlton. looking forward to tuesday already. Up The Imps!

I think its more how far we ran on Tuesday - I'm sure TS sad it was 8000 metres more in total than the Burton game.

Then a really long road trip for today's game. Another long trip back tonight too, which will probably mean just very light training on Monday and Tuesday before Tuesday night.

Let's hope we can get a bit of zip back, maybe by bringing in Vale and Mandriou. Several players looked very tired today - Sorensen and Roughan especially. Sean was so slow turning for their goal, he looked to have nothing left.

Tom probably should have brought Vale, Brown and Bishop on at 60 minutes, when Exeter made their three changes.
Yes it sounded like Vale will start in Toms post match interview.

Slightly disappointed today as I felt after our goal we sat back and invited pressure. Would add the team looked tired but on the positive a point away from home is good. Looking forward to Tuesday night with another very difficult game.
UTI!!!

Slightly disappointed today as I felt after our goal we sat back and invited pressure. Would add the team looked tired but on the positive a point away from home is good. Looking forward to Tuesday night with another very difficult game.
UTI!!!
It has been a busy week on the coach and the pitch.

Another game we have faded in and not got the result we could have done. The exertions on Tuesday will be a big factor but it's also a consequence of always having less possession and having to chase the ball. One of the first questions I would be asking prospective managers is how we can change that and go back to playing with a conventional 4 at the back.
We almost certainly should have made more substitutions and earlier today but it's been a breath of fresh air since the change of manager and Tom Shaw has done himself huge favours for the medium to long term when he might be in the frame for the permanent job.
Sorensen came up against a left sided opposition player who matched him today and kept him quiet. Forced him to come inside a fair bit where we know he is not so good and we lost a major attacking option. However a player who has now convinced me is Smith and I would like to see how effective he is in the middle. I would be tempted to give Hamilton a well earned rest and try Smith there on Tuesday.
Adelekun is one of the most inconsistent players I can remember seeing and understand how he would frustrate managers. Have to think last Tuesday is likely to be the high point of his Lincoln career but really hope he stays in and around the team when the unfit and unavailable return which should be starting next Tuesday.

Well, got home at 9pm today as Exeter is not as far for me as some trips and haven't looked at any reports or this thread yet.

Mixed feelings about the game - it's always good to get a draw away from home, but I think unlike against Charlton the lack of attacking players showed today with Sorensen nothing like as influential.

After looking comfortable in the first half hour we than began to get a bit sloppy in the period up to half time and owed it to a wonder save from Jensen to keep the lead at half time. After he scored Smith went on to have a disappointing game although improving a bit in the second half. For a man his size he could have done with putting himself about a bit more.

Overall it was a fairly average performance and a draw a fair result - we didn't really deserve to win - although could have done if Roughan had put the ball in the net instead of hitting the woodwork. After that we were rather desperately hanging on for the draw, although Vale livened things up again.

A few positives, a few not so's.
Let's start with the positives.(1) The first 35 mins was sparkling. You could see we were trying to change to a more possession passing based game. Good sharp incisive play. Midfield dominant.
(2) Lucas commands his area very well. In pretty awful conditions, he was very solid.
(3) Vale made a big difference when he came on. Really put himself about, quick, good movement, held the ball up well and a real live wire. It's just a shame that he came on when the imps were basically starting to hang on, so he only had scraps to feed off.
A few disappointments.
(1) The passing game I mentioned above, lasted less than 45 mins. We were dogged in the second half, but in all honesty the equaliser was coming. We struggled with both of their wide men.
(2) We still struggle to put together a 90 minute performance, Charlton aside. Maybe tiredness played a part. Certainly Lasse and Roughan were no better than average. Roughan, just had to score. It was the pivotal moment in the game.
( 3) I don't want to be too critical, sometimes you have to give your opponent credit, and Exeter never let their heads drop. In dreadful conditions they kept trying to play football on the floor. They got what they deserved.

I've only seen the extended highlights, which make for fairly unedifyinh viewing! Seems like a case of 'After the Lord Mayor's Show'? Jensen certainly kept us in it and how on Earth did Roughan not score? We'll need to be back on it on Tuesday, so I hope that will be the case.

However, 7 pts from 9 is a good return, all things considered and if it becomes 10 from 12, I'll be a very happy Imp!

After he scored Smith went on to have a disappointing game although improving a bit in the second half. For a man his size he could have done with putting himself about a bit more.
Smith is a right sided central midfielder playing out of position on the left having moved up a division and with still limited experience at this level.
His passing is good, he has a serious attacking threat and deserves a chance in his best position sooner rather than later.

I've only seen the extended highlights, which make for fairly unedifyinh viewing! Seems like a case of 'After the Lord Mayor's Show'? Jensen certainly kept us in it and how on Earth did Roughan not score? We'll need to be back on it on Tuesday, so I hope that will be the case.

However, 7 pts from 9 is a good return, all things considered and if it becomes 10 from 12, I'll be a very happy Imp!
Sean needs to side foot with his right not blast with the left. If that goes in we win for sure. No complaints fair result and a decent return for the week. 7 from 9 is automatic promotion form after all 😉