MATCH THREAD Everton 12-30 3 Feb AWAY | Page 13 | Vital Football

MATCH THREAD Everton 12-30 3 Feb AWAY

Enough said
We lost it, today simple, this is how a draw feels like a defeat , we kept em at bay in reality, and as has been said, set pieces basically put in and around the Keeper cost us.
Now many will say, the keeper was fouled, however this is game two where this type of challange has happened and a goal has been given, now we need keeper protection.
Many of us have 'dreamed' about seeing both Madders and Bents in the same midfield, so far this hasn't worked, whether it's because we don't have a Bissuma or Sarr behind em, or they're just starting to gel after injury or they just don't work, remains to be seen.
With that said in open play we're (aparrently)doing OK .
What I could see, is that when ever we went forward we did look like scoring almost every occasion.
That (Rubbish) player Richi is earning his money.
As I said give him a chance, may not be on Kane stats, but for me works much harder for the team in both attack and defence.
Let's face it Everton were lucky, they did deserve '1' goal but little else
Taylor the ref is, Tierney 's twin both are evil. Disgrace.

We have scored just 2 fewer than league title chasing Man City and Liverpool but we have conceded 5 more than relegation threatened Everton. The latter is the problem. You can't compete at the level that we aspire to while averaging goals conceded of 1.5.

We once again lost control of the game today and barely ever looked settled during any period of the game. Ange needs to fix that as it is becoming a pattern

Everton don't score many, but are difficult to beat. I'm inclined therefore to consider this as a point gained rather than two points lost. Other than Van Der Ven and Richarlison who were outstanding, and Maddison in flashes, the overall team performance was however pretty poor.

Heard a stat we have conceded 8 goals after the 90th minute this season. If true that tells you a lot about the lack of leadership in this squad.

Romero is really starting to piss me off. VDV is carrying Romero since they both returned.

There is more than enough experience on the pitch to see out games. Ange must address these basic issues. They could well cost us top 4.
To put that in a bit of context, we only lost points in two of those games: today and against Wolves (lost 2-1).

Two came against Chelsea when we down to 9 men and already losing 2-1. That was a complete outlier game.

The other three goals came in matches we were winning by at least a 2-goal margin and didn't affect the outcome: Burnley 5-2, Palace 2-1 and Newcastle 4-1.

There's no good time to conced a goal but doing so late in the game with the points already won is the least worst scenario.

I do hope the team have a re-think though on defending free kicks in our own half with a high line. It's hard enough as it is for defenders to defend an inswinging free kick without having to do so running back to goal.

Updated total points prediction table.

The projected total is based on the average number of points won per game this season so far multiplied by the number of remaining games.

The table order is determined by those tracking closest to the projected score.

Tottenham's projected points total72
PosterPredicted totalTracking
spurs1954720
totalspurs71-1
lijaboc74-2
muttley70-2
cobhspurs69-3
Geofspurs76-4
Pompey Yid76-4
Greavswasthegreatest76-4
Gary Onedaysoon68-4
steveperryman68-4
SheringhamNo1067-5
Spursex66-6
vinniecopenhagen80-8
Walthamstow wanderer80-8
USAFSPURS63-9
TQ2Spurs62-10

Enough said
We lost it, today simple, this is how a draw feels like a defeat , we kept em at bay in reality, and as has been said, set pieces basically put in and around the Keeper cost us.
Now many will say, the keeper was fouled, however this is game two where this type of challange has happened and a goal has been given, now we need keeper protection.
Many of us have 'dreamed' about seeing both Madders and Bents in the same midfield, so far this hasn't worked, whether it's because we don't have a Bissuma or Sarr behind em, or they're just starting to gel after injury or they just don't work, remains to be seen.
What I could see, is that when ever we went forward we did look like scoring almost every occasion.
As I said give him a chance, may not be on Kane stats, but for me works much harder for the team in both attack and defence.
Niall well said, but there are no refs that I can describe who do not undermine us. They all have impunity to do so in obvious ways coz the pundits will never pick it up. Madders was elbowed in the face but the pundits refused to comment on it. How many fouls did that gut commit?

To put that in a bit of context, we only lost points in two of those games: today and against Wolves (lost 2-1).

Two came against Chelsea when we down to 9 men and already losing 2-1. That was a complete outlier game.

The other three goals came in matches we were winning by at least a 2-goal margin and didn't affect the outcome: Burnley 5-2, Palace 2-1 and Newcastle 4-1.

There's no good time to conced a goal but doing so late in the game with the points already won is the least worst scenario.

I do hope the team have a re-think though on defending free kicks in our own half with a high line. It's hard enough as it is for defenders to defend an inswinging free kick without having to do so running back to goal.
Regardless of if we were winning, there is clearly a pattern emerging. It's not a good one.

Enough said
Think that you mean Oliver Niall, but Taylor makes the triumverate.

Everyone who plays us will pump balls into the box, look for a thru ball, crowd Vicario at corners & free kicks. We need to address that urgently because scoring isn't the problem. I didn't watch the game so only saw highlights, after the Brentford match it wasn't a surprise that Everton scored how they did. Yes they got lucky in so much that Romero header went backwards instead of any other direction, but put enough balls in and around the pen spot and that's gonna happen.
We are still in top four mix....defo in our hands, but that can change in a min if we don't sort it.

Niall well said, but there are no refs that I can describe who do not undermine us. They all have impunity to do so in obvious ways coz the pundits will never pick it up. Madders was elbowed in the face but the pundits refused to comment on it. How many fouls did that gut commit?

What was interesting is that twice in one game we had head injuries and Michael Oliver left our players on the floor and let the game continue. If that is not bias, then what is? Oliver has no right to ignore the mandate that you stop the game for head injuries. PGMOL is still the weakest link in the entire PL setup. It needs moving back lock stock to the FA with all of the funding.

What was interesting is that twice in one game we had head injuries and Michael Oliver left our players on the floor and let the game continue. If that is not bias, then what is? Oliver has no right to ignore the mandate that you stop the game for head injuries. PGMOL is still the weakest link in the entire PL setup. It needs moving back lock stock to the FA with all of the funding.
I commented on this earlier in the thread Mutters mate. It was disgraceful refereeing by Oliver,he left our players on the floor while he let play continue in case Everton got an advantage.

Richarlison's two goals against Everton meant he has scored nine in his past eight Premier League games, which are fantastic numbers.

That centre-forward position has been one of the massive question marks hanging over Spurs since Postecoglou arrived last summer and Harry Kane left a few weeks later.

Sometimes it has been Son Heung-min playing through the middle, and other games it has been Richarlison - no-one has really nailed that role as their own.

If 'Sonny' was not away at the Asian Cup, I suppose he would still be given the job, but his absence has given Richarlison an opportunity and Ange is probably thinking now that he can have some faith in him to put the ball in the net.

At the back, I thought Micky van de Ven and Cristian Romero were a different class and the full-backs, Destiny Udogie and Pedro Porro were again both very decent.

I look at Tottenham's back four now and they are all top level. As a unit they have only been together since the start of the season, but they have turned things around very quickly.

They are looking good defensively, and that is not the only area of the team where that is the case. Overall, I think the future does look really bright, and not just with what could happen this season.

Are Spurs 'the best of the rest'?​

Snapshot of the top of the Premier League: 1st Liverpool, 2nd Man City, 3rd Arsenal, 4th Aston Villa, 5th Tottenham & 6th West Ham

Spurs had that spell in November where they had all those injuries and suspensions which knocked them a little bit, but here we are at the start of February and they are still only seven points off the top.

In terms of the title, I think the table is pretty accurate in that Tottenham are just off the pace. This is the part of the season where the best teams start to get stronger and stronger, and they don't drop points the way Spurs just did.

If the conversation is about a top-four finish, though, then that's different. I just don't see them not getting that now.

If Arsenal can pick up their form, it will be them and Liverpool that challenge Manchester City for the title, but I see Spurs as the best of the rest.

They are not far behind Arsenal, either. When I go through the players in both teams, I certainly don't see Tottenham as being inferior at all, and that has been reflected in their results.

I speak to a lot of Arsenal fans and they always say something along the lines of 'you lot are annoying the life out of us, because we thought you'd gone', but I don't feel as if Spurs are going to go away now.

It wouldn't surprise me if, come the end of the season, they are only eight points or so behind the champions, whoever they turn out to be. That would be a decent enough finish for them in Postecoglou's first season - and I think there is a lot more to come.

'I hope this is what Spurs look like for the next 10 years'​

Tottenham forward Timo Werner
Germany forward Timo Werner has joined Tottenham on loan from RB Leipzig until the end of the season
Postecoglou is still building his team and, on that front, I felt he had a fantastic January transfer window with the players that came in.

Werner has bolstered Spurs in those wide attacking areas and although we have not seen much of Radu Dragusin yet, he will provide back-up if anything happens to Van de Ven or Romero. They also signed another youngster, Lucas Bergvall, from Sweden too.

On top of bringing players in, it was important to hold on to people like Ben Davies and Emerson Royal, who are going to play their part as well.

During that period before Christmas, where Spurs were without so many players, Davies was Tottenham's best player. People might forget that if someone like Maddison or Son hit form in the next few weeks, but what Davies did at that time was massive for the club's season.

So, it's not just the team I like the look of when I go through it, I feel like the squad is really strong too.

The question is, can they capitalise on that? Sometimes it feels like teams have got a window of success, say a two-year spell, and they have to make the most of that.

One of Spurs' worst traits down the years has been their inability to put it all together, and that is their task now. It feels like they are turning into an elite defence and an elite midfield, but can they find an elite striker?

Tottenham striker Son Heung-min
Son has scored 115 goals in 288 Premier League games for Spurs since joining from Bayer Leverkusen in 2015
Son is 31 now and getting to an age where it is less certain that he can stay at the level he has been at for so long, scoring the amount of goals he does and playing the number of games he has been.

There might be a limited amount of time for him as the main guy to take this team where it wants to go, and then they might have to find another way of maintaining it. Can Richarlison keep scoring and turn out to be the answer? We just don't know, but I hope they can knit it all together in the timeframe I am talking about.

They have got a young squad now - and a strong one - plus a top manager, and they are playing some great football.

From a Spurs perspective, everyone is looking at it and hoping this is what the club looks like for the next 10 years - I know I am. This is just the start, hopefully.

Jermaine Jenas was speaking to BBC Sport's Chris Bevan.

Everton 2-2 Tottenham: ‘One of their worst performances' but Spurs' future 'really bright' - Jermaine Jenas analysis​

_95714201_jenasnew.jpg

By Jermaine JenasMOTD pundit and former Tottenham midfielder
Last updated on 3 February 20243 February 2024.From the section Tottenham

MOTD analsysis

It was a blow for Tottenham to concede such a late equaliser at Everton on Saturday - but Ange Postecoglou's side definitely did not deserve to win anyhow.
Spurs did not play well at Goodison Park, and I would go as far as saying that was the worst they have played for most of the season. Rodrigo Bentancur, Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg and James Maddison were all very quiet, and Brennan Johnson and Timo Werner were both poor.
Some of that was down to Everton, who despite a lack of quality were good value in terms of their work-rate and giving it a go, but Tottenham's midfield looked a bit tired to me.
Graphic showing Tottenham's starting XI v Everton: Vicario, Porro, Romero, Van de Ven, Udogie, Hojbjerg, Bentancur, Johnson, Maddison, Werner, Richarlison

The big disappointment was the way Everton scored their second goal. I can guarantee you that Postecoglou was screaming at his players at half-time, saying there is only one way this team can score and it is from a set-piece - so don't give any free-kicks away.
When that keeps happening anyway then it is one of the most frustrating things to see when you are watching on, whether you are the manager or not, but when you are playing it is very hard to stop it from happening.
You have these moments of madness, which is what happened to Dejan Kulusevski at the end - he had the ball, and should have just smashed it up the pitch, but tried something, lost it, and then gave away a stupid foul that allowed Everton to whip the ball in and score.
Still, from the Tottenham players' perspective, once the dust settles and they realise how badly they played, a result like that will be easier to accept.
Spurs picked up a point from exactly the kind of game they would have lost last season with a team performance like that, and there were also real positives to take from some of their individual displays.

I don't think there was anything wrong with our defending yesterday. For the large part each defender did his job really well. And other than set pieces, which was mainly down to Vicario, Everton hardly looked like scoring at all.

The real problem was what was going on ahead of them. No sooner did we have possession than we turned it over so it came straight back. Everton were physically stronger all over the pitch and won nearly every second ball.

I think it was a game Sarr should have started although I was slightly disappointed with his contribution when he did come on and Ange presumably thought he wasn't ready for 90 minutes after AFCON.

Playing two games in just over two days - particularly for players like Maddison, Bentancur and Werner - was too much and undoubtedly had a negative impact.