Match Thread: Derby County v Lincoln City | Page 7 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Derby County v Lincoln City

Blatant and completely unnecessary penalty, but thanks very much. Let's see where we can take this, Derby are quite hit and miss.

It’s a funny league, great we stick in games but played predominantly the whole season without a strike force. A few in January and there’s a chance in a very poor league 1x

Nice to get a sucker punch at the end of the half. No point in playing Makama at the moment, we may as well put another midfielder on and play without a striker. We started ok but we are so slow to attack and don't get enough players forward. Don't get me wrong, this would be a great point but I'm kind of wishing the season away at the moment hoping that we can build an entertaining team at some point in the future.

HT. Well, what a finish to the half - didn’t see that coming from left wing-back O’Connor 🤣. Probably didn’t deserve to be level but we’ll take it every day. Still being a little too negative and coughing up the ball a bit too easily sometimes, plus Jovon needs to press a bit more urgently to give the team a bit of an outlet/rest from Derby’s pressing. Having said that, Michael Skuballa did say they weren’t going to play open expansive football and would try and keep it tight (Hoped he was playing mind games but alas not). Little bit more positive second half - maybe the wind will help hold up through balls second half.

Well that was how to finish a half. Great move from City with a superb ball from Ethan and a stonewall pen. Great composure from Danny and it’s 1-1. Get in there 👊
A very difficult half with Derby giving us Absolutely no time on the ball resulting in errors and lost possession.
As a unit, we are actually quite good and are moving the ball about, but just that constant Derby press that’s undoing us.

As for Jovan, very unfair to criticise. A young lad competing against very experienced players is always a big ask. Some of his link play has been very good but he will always get out muscled at the moment.

A huge second half awaits. UTI 👊👏👏

I need a pair of your rose tinted glasses!

We’ve created nothing, we’ve done well to stick in the game.
The way I'm looking at it is, they didn't deserve to go ahead, had a spell after going ahead and then we responded in the last minute of the half with an attack, winning a penalty and going in level.

Wow, what a hate-fest on Makama tonight.
No hate fest here but at a minimum use your attributes to the best of your ability. Big player and young so work hard, battle for the aerial balls and stick your foot in. Lack of experience and being young doesn't prevent this.Hamilton and Mandriou working hard, closing down, making tackles and need someone to back them up, unfortunately we haven't many options so we'll have to see what the manager does.

Makama has struggled.. the service has been limited but he clearly is showing his inexperience. But don't people know he's been thrown in at the deep end because of an injury crisis?
It’s not really about the service though. It’s that he’s gone back to not closing down, not competing for high balls, and not showing willing to run the channels.

Youth and inexperience should have nothing to do with that.

I agree with Jules, Derby didn't deserve to be ahead when they scored - a very good finish by a player with dozens of international caps, and that is often the difference at this level. For all their possession, Jensen had almost nothing to do besides catching limp crosses. Lincoln created nothing before the penalty, so can count themselves to be slightly fortunate to be level. No threat from Makama at all, the Derby defence are basically leaving him alone.