Match Thread: Derby County v Lincoln City | Page 18 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Derby County v Lincoln City

OS has an article today (about MS thoughts) saying over 1,700 are expected to travel and an older match preview article saying allocation of 1,900 is sold out. 'Go figure" as some of our USA investors might say.

I haven't noticed any figure for Imps supporters on our website but Derby's gives it as 1,877.

He does have a languid style which doesn’t help.
I agree the way he moves makes it look like he isn't putting any effort in. Let's face it playing up front virtually on his own with the lack of experience he has got is a thankless task.
I would add though that I haven't really seen anything special from him that suggests to me he can cut it at this level. He has now had a quite a few goalscoring opportunities but never looks likely to take them. I honestly don't see him as anything but a player of possibly national league quality. But I hope he proves me wrong.
What it does underline is the bloody mess we are in with no real genuine forward options.

Those of us old enough to remember will recall a skinny youth called Mick Harford arriving at the Bank . Harford was ridiculed on a regular basis " Streak of piss" was one of the kinder comments that came from the old codgers on the West Bank.I didn't get it why Harford received such abuse then and I don't get it now.Harford ,of course , developed into a very aggressive and effective Centre Forward and apart from gaining legendary status at every Club he played for ,Harford also represented his Country.Now, I'm not suggesting that Makama will replicate Harford but I wish him well and while he is an Imp he will receive support and encouragement from me .

I remember those early Mick Harford games too Red, and what was pretty apparent from his first game was that he was exceptional in the air. A bit raw on the ground, but a terrific header of the ball and very aggressive in his play. He was 18 years old.

A different game then of course as closing down defenders didn't happen - they were never given the ball to play out from defense.

I see no one has mentioned recalling Kendall in January as a solution to our forward problems ….

Been out all day and I see that the attempts to crucify our 19 year old youth team striker are still around.

Let's keep something in perspective and to do that I will paste a report made by Leigh Curtis in the Derby Telegraph:-

Curtis Nelson: So dominant aerially and never gave Jovon Makama any change whatsoever in what was a tough night for the Lincoln striker who was facing arguably the best centre-back pairing in League One. 7.5

Eiran Cashin: Defensively has been so strong. He made a terrific block to deny Ethan Hamilton in the second half and he was excellent in the heart of Derby's back four. 8

So essentially working on his own some expect him to outplay two exceptional League 1 defenders. It is also noticeable that some of the complaints about not being arsed come from those watching on IFollow. What I saw on the night was a player, and again I'll emphasise he was doing this on his own, having to cover two defenders playing it out from the back with obvious instructions to keep their play at the back in wider positions hence his body positions.

It's almost as if some supporters would rather a player pick up a stupid yellow card by fouling their players by the corner flag as Vale did.

Been out all day and I see that the attempts to crucify our 19 year old youth team striker are still around.

Let's keep something in perspective and to do that I will paste a report made by Leigh Curtis in the Derby Telegraph:-

Curtis Nelson: So dominant aerially and never gave Jovon Makama any change whatsoever in what was a tough night for the Lincoln striker who was facing arguably the best centre-back pairing in League One. 7.5

Eiran Cashin: Defensively has been so strong. He made a terrific block to deny Ethan Hamilton in the second half and he was excellent in the heart of Derby's back four. 8

So essentially working on his own some expect him to outplay two exceptional League 1 defenders. It is also noticeable that some of the complaints about not being arsed come from those watching on IFollow. What I saw on the night was a player, and again I'll emphasise he was doing this on his own, having to cover two defenders playing it out from the back with obvious instructions to keep their play at the back in wider positions hence his body positions.

It's almost as if some supporters would rather a player pick up a stupid yellow card by fouling their players by the corner flag as Vale did.
I think most of the comments relate to the point he shouldn’t be out there but should be on loan to Peterborough sports however that said when the iFollow camera did follow the action and he was the action it wasn’t the best of performances and his body language wasn’t good. Very true we didn’t see what he did off camera it’s just that on camera it wasn’t too clever. We be in deep deep brown stuff if he is leading the line end of January as he is clearly not league one ready. I have no idea if he will in the future or not - toss a coin on that one.

Makama is just the unfortunate one who has found himself in the situation he has because of the injuries to our strikers and all this has stemmed from the season Kennedy joined after the playoff final and we didn't get our forward recruitment right in that summer window and hasn't been right since.

The truth is that Makama is nowhere near the standard to be playing at this level so all of his shortcomings are amplified a thousand times. It's not his fault but we are where we are and I would suggest that it's more a frustration of the mess with the forwards we have got ourselves in that some the fans find frustrating.

How much better would things be if it was House or Walker up top? Well, if we were still playing the same style and formation as we are now it probably wouldn't be a lot different. Under this system where we are playing non attacking wingbacks, playing wingers in the same team as wingbacks, playing our most creative player as a left sided midfielder who usually has nothing to hit when he gets his head up and turns backwards, would anybody expect us to be creating chances and banging goals in left, right and centre,...no, it would be as it is now, just a continuation of the over cautious, low scoring, defence orientated play that lots of fans seemed to be conditioned to and accept.

That's not the way forward though. Scubala has been brought in to change the boring rubbish (just my opinion) that we had to endure under Kennedy and it won't happen if we keep lining up with the same formation week in week out doing the same things and expecting different results.

I accept that Scubala hasn't had the time to really get on the training pitch and impose or implement how he wants us to play but i only give my opinions on what i see on the pitch on a game by game basis not what might come in the future.

But the the sooner what might come in the future does come then the better because no matter what anyone thinks on here, if you attend games and are in the stadium you will have heard the comments in the crowd. Lots of fans want change, the Board want change or else Kennedy would still have a job. Scubala could have and should have began to change things by now even if they are just small changes in our set plays, free kicks and corners. He should of used the Accrington cup game to play and have a look at the back four formation even if they didn't have a lot of time to work on it.

The changes needs to come and they need to start coming yesterday.

I think most of the comments relate to the point he shouldn’t be out there but should be on loan to Peterboroughe sports however that said when the iFollow camera did follow the action and he was the action it wasn’t the best of performances and his body language wasn’t good. Very true we didn’t see what he did off camera it’s just that on camera it wasn’t too clever. We be in deep deep brown stuff if he is leading the line end of January as he is clearly not league one ready. I have no idea if he will in the future or not - toss a coin on that one
I appreciate you were not at the match.If you were I very much doubt you would have called Makama a useless lazy c_nt ? Neither would you have yelled at him to feck off and suggest that he (Makama) was solely responsible for the defeat we experienced. .

I appreciate you were not at the match.If you were I very much doubt you would have called Makama a useless lazy c_nt ? Neither would you have yelled at him to feck off and suggest that he (Makama) was solely responsible for the defeat we experienced.
Swearing doesn’t bother me and I probably swear too much myself. I think it’s very common place these days - I think we are all desensitised to it. I also suspect that it’s water off a ducks back to players. Funny I once worked for an American company who had a lot of expats we would swear like anyone’s business they were get the huff. I said to one of them so it’s alright to shoot each other but the odd swear word when you in the middle of it and it’s going wrong is the end of the world. I am glad I was born British.

However if you were going to blame anyone for the defeat it’s the planning/misfortune that has lead us to play him.

I don't see how a discussion regarding the development of young players has got anything to do with National pride? It's all gone a bit too much GB news for me .

I don't see how a discussion regarding the development of young players has got anything to do with National pride? It's all gone a bit too much GB news for me .
The point is I can’t see some swearing bothering the players. I am sure their language is just as bad if not worse.

Sticking him up there when he is not ready will not do his development any good

I cannot see any crucifixion taking place. Quite simply, Makama is a professional footballer with a League One club and must be judged accordingly when he plays. We can make allowances for his age and inexperience of course, but the unavoidable fact is that he is not remotely good enough for what we need right now. I doubt there is anyone anywhere who does not agree with that. It is not his fault, he needs a couple of seasons out on loan at a (much) lower level to develop his game, but the fact remains.

Not suggesting this is necessarily the case for Makama but Skubala did say that some players work hard but not particularly cleverly (or words similar). If he/they are being told to make sure passing lanes are cut off rather than press to aggressively then it will look a bit more passive/non-effort than it perhaps is.

Makama is in the side through circumstance rather than merit, it's not his fault. Even judged against what we've seen of Draper, albeit very little, he's even off that level and they're are question marks of whether Draper could step up well enough at the minute.

The problem we have now is that we are trying to compete at the top end of league one which puts massive strain on the youth team to produce players who can add value. If we were still league two we would probably see the youth team as a success as rather then loans to Walsall they would be in the first team.

Makama has done a difficult job, beyond the limits of his experience, and can hold his head up high for his performances since, lest we forget, his full league debut. MS clearly prefers what he can do as opposed to Vale, from the limited options he currently has.

Thursday simply seemed a match to far for a young player facing physical and mental demands at a level he's not really ready for, coming up against an experienced defence who will have come out on top against more experienced strikers.

In the stadium, hard to fault his effort, he left too isolated and probably increasingly frustrated. As for his Mick Harford style of running and seemingly languid overall approach? I remember John Akinde getting regular pelters for "lack of effort", some players are wired differently and running round like a headless chicken is not a prerequisite. The audible heckling was out of order.

I would be inclined to rest Jovon for Bolton though, and look at a loan for the 2nd half of the season - he's probably earned a higher level than NLN though.

If we were still league two we would probably see the youth team as a success as rather then loans to Walsall they would be in the first team.
That's a good observation. When we signed these players for the academy we did not have realistic Championship ambitions and some may have been signed when we were in L2. I suppose the answer would be to find players of a higher standard for the academy but that is extremely difficult when the bigger clubs hoover up young players for their constipated youth programmes.