Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Lincoln City | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Cheltenham Town v Lincoln City

10 games in is usually the yardstick most use. We are doing well, not carried away, but things are looking good.

Come on you Imps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is so hard not to get carried away but we are doing exceptionally well- team is clearly together, there is real quality on the pitch and strength in depth.

Difficult away game on Tuesday that I'd take a draw from as a good result and then hopefully a win (and a little revenge after last season 4-1 home loss) against Crewe)

Early on in the season Toffolo looked like he might be a defensive weak link but in this defence now he looks as secure as the rest of them. Plus his ability to link with Andrade is tearing it up on the left - our left side is way above League 2 standard.

Great ball down the line to Andrade for the Akinde miss.

Toffolo is one who seems to get better with every game at the moment. Seems to be loving getting regular games and having such a top footballer like Andrade in front of him.

I am already worried that someone bigger is going to come in for Andrade in January. Already too good for League Two.

It was a bit strange today as although we really didn't appear in any threat of conceding (Vickers had nothing to do) it could easily have ended up as two points dropped.

Early on in the season Toffolo looked like he might be a defensive weak link but in this defence now he looks as secure as the rest of them. Plus his ability to link with Andrade is tearing it up on the left - our left side is way above League 2 standard.

Steve Thompson thought McCartan was MoM but though he was involved I thought his touch was lacking today, though I could level that at a couple of others too.

It was a great cross by Toffolo for the breakthrough - and if they awarded a Puskas prize of OGs that has to be a contender, and his persistence led to the second which killed the game.

Although we were much the better side there was just a bit of an edge lacking today.
Thought the same about Toffolo, although he still has a tendancy to want to wait to be fouled at times rather than deal with danger.

R.e. the left hand side, it's noticeable that more, correctly, goes down that side. We've got Andrade who's probably more secure with the ball and as a result, Toffolo can bomb on with less a risk of the ball being lost.

On the right, Eardley seems to support Anderson from behind which I think is partly down to Anderson losing the ball more and that's down to his style. Anderson's very much about pace and power whereas Andrade is more technical.

My view of the game is that we looked like a team three points clear at the top of the division - simple as that.

A good team performance, and the only criticism to be made is that, like against Macclesfield, we should have got more than two goals. We won this match on the wings as Cheltenham couldn't cope with either Anderson or Andrade. We did everything but score early on in the second half - it really was only a matter of time before the first goal came.

Cheltenham defended well at times, especially in the first half but it says a lot that Vickers didn't have a shot to save until a few minutes from the end.

I'd had my doubts when comparisons with the 1975/76 side were being made earlier on but now I'm beginning to wonder...

Now I've said that we'll lose at Tranmere!

Last edited:
Tranmere will be a tough one especially after we developed a partial rivalry in the conference. There a decent side aswell who may contest the top 7.

3 points yesterday was really fantastic and if we can get a point or 3 against Tranmere, these leaves us with 3 out of the next 4 at home.

A very solid performance yesterday. Looked in control in every area and despite some nice play at times they never got a sniff anywhere near our box let alone troubling Vickers. Andrade MOM again for me. Would have been two assists but for Akindes howler. Hope we are looking at extending his contract asap. Freck back Tuesday but why change a winning side.