Match Thread: Bristol City Vs Portugal Sponsored by the irrationality of hope | Page 8 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Bristol City Vs Portugal Sponsored by the irrationality of hope

Thought after a shaky start, we were the better team..not a bad start considering our record at Brizzle

Can't grumble with an away point, sort out the set piece defending we could be in for a decent season.

Overall, I guess a draw away to Bristol, who are a decent team, isn't a bad result.
However, some of the team selection from AK does worry me a little. First game away, to a good side, I do think it strange that he went with debuts to all three Portugese lads. Lolley instead of Goncglaves would have been better for me.
I find really strange that he went with Murphy. Unles Grabban did have a niggle, he is hands down the better player. He should have been starting. I'm not knocking Murphy, but Grabban is a far better striker.
Colback is also a far better DM than Watson. Again, not knocking Watson, he's a good player, but Colback is the better in that position. Feel we could have won that with those three changes.

Boro come from 2-0 down to equalise in the 7th minute of injury time. I bet there weren't 7 minutes signalled!

West Brom lose at home to Bolton, a disastrous start for them against one of the worst teams in the division. Difficult to say if that makes our game on Tuesday easier or harder.

Late equaliser a for Norwich (at Birmingham) and Ipswich (home to Blackburn). Big win for Brentford although I suspect that says a lot about the quality of Rotherham

Improved in the second half, mainly because we moved our midfield a couple of meters forward so limiting Brizzles crosses in our box (thus limiting the number of corners). Still havent changed my opinion on Murphy, waste of space... you cannot have a player in the team hoping that his only contribution is one header and a goal, this game was there for the taking and with someone more mobile upfront we might have created more chances and scored more. Gueddy played a good game even though he risks a bit too much in his tackles. Dawson coming out is a worry, first game of the seaso, hope he doesnt have an injury plagued season or his signing would have been waste of money....Watson improved alot in the second half, him and Gueddy controlled the midfield. The portugese trio still abit on the fence... they didnt come for free so I expect game changing players and not some nice tricks (similar to Dowell last season-but it is still early). I think that Ozzy played well at left back, Dariwka had a shocker of a first half (apart that nice cross that he had and no one was in the box to finish it), but slightly better in the second half (as all the team after)... not enough time to judge grabban and Lolley (even though the later had a good shot saved by the keeper late in the game).
Looking at the other teams results, it was a day ful of surprises, WBA losing at home to Bolton, Boro drawing (two goals in the last 5 minutes) and a lot of draws ...so still in pre season mode...
The above is just my observations for todays game, no wrist cutting, just call white, white and black black...

At 1-0 down early doors, this time last year we would have gone on to lose this one. Again.

So for me, today is about tiny steps in the right direction. A little bit of progression. Nothing more, nothing less. But despite how much we’ve spent, I’ll take that little bit of progression and those tiny steps today.

Nice to get the season underway again, and not to lose a game.

Overall, I guess a draw away to Bristol, who are a decent team, isn't a bad result.
However, some of the team selection from AK does worry me a little. First game away, to a good side, I do think it strange that he went with debuts to all three Portugese lads. Lolley instead of Goncglaves would have been better for me.
I find really strange that he went with Murphy. Unles Grabban did have a niggle, he is hands down the better player. He should have been starting. I'm not knocking Murphy, but Grabban is a far better striker.
Colback is also a far better DM than Watson. Again, not knocking Watson, he's a good player, but Colback is the better in that position. Feel we could have won that with those three changes.
With the quality in this squad we are bound to have quibbles about who should be playing - think Geddy was my man of the match today but it was one of those days where it's hard to pick a player who didn't have a good game even though we look like there is a lot better to come.
Grabban looked a bit off the pace when he came on so can't really complain about him not starting?
Bristol are a solid team and an away point there is a good start.

The side that starts v West Brom will show us what we should expect this seaso n .Has he rested players due to quick games in succession as perhaps he believes in the squad as a whole.

Happy with a point having gone 1 down so early. Previous Forest teams would have surrendered. Disappointed to concede early in a familiar manner to last season.

The side that starts v West Brom will show us what we should expect this seaso n .Has he rested players due to quick games in succession as perhaps he believes in the squad as a whole.

I think so...expect to see lolley, grabban and colback next game and possibly soudani. Big guy upfront in away games makes a bit of sense

Just got back...To the coach, happy with a point but tinged with a slight disappointment we didn’t win.

Defensively same old, we had a warning a minute earlier but didn’t heed that and conceded to a towering header.

Don’t get the Darikwa critics I thought he was solid defensively and offered a threat going forward. Ozzy solid overall but couple of silly giveaways early on.

We gave away far too many free kicks, it was the only way Brizzle were ever going to score. From freeay we only gave them 1 or 2 sights of goal.

Geezers were all a bit quiet today, Dias never really got passed his marker and I thought Carvalho lacked a little composure when in a good position late on.

Murphy put in a solid shift, he DID win his share of headers first half and took the goal well, those with Pre conceived perceptions should show some humility as I don’t see what more he could do! That being said I would still have Grabs as first choice.

We were dominant second half, I think they will be happier with the point than us.
Steady start and we go again Tues

Coyr

Just got back...To the coach, happy with a point but tinged with a slight disappointment we didn’t win.

Defensively same old, we had a warning a minute earlier but didn’t heed that and conceded to a towering header.

Don’t get the Darikwa critics I thought he was solid defensively and offered a threat going forward. Ozzy solid overall but couple of silly giveaways early on.

We gave away far too many free kicks, it was the only way Brizzle were ever going to score. From freeay we only gave them 1 or 2 sights of goal.

Geezers were all a bit quiet today, Dias never really got passed his marker and I thought Carvalho lacked a little composure when in a good position late on.

Murphy put in a solid shift, he DID win his share of headers first half and took the goal well, those with Pre conceived perceptions should show some humility as I don’t see what more he could do! That being said I would still have Grabs as first choice.

We were dominant second half, I think they will be happier with the point than us.
Steady start and we go again Tues

Coyr
I agree, especially over Murphy. if this is the formation we are playing and with these type of attacking midfielders behind the striker, Murphy is a model player for that role.

I dont agree with some of your observations, I watched the game on tele by the way so maybe so different things, Murphys contribution, bar the goal-so from a 4 he goes to a 6, was nadda...he had another two chances were he basically passed the ball to the keeper ...Dariwka was good at going forward yes, but he was sloppy in defence he had a couple of back passes that spelled danger ...and we got away with them...but going forward was very lively..sort of agree in regard the Portugese boys, although I think Diaz was very good in the first half, in second he went missing ...