Match Thread: Bristol City Vs Portugal Sponsored by the irrationality of hope | Page 9 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Bristol City Vs Portugal Sponsored by the irrationality of hope

At 1-0 down early doors, this time last year we would have gone on to lose this one. Again.

So for me, today is about tiny steps in the right direction. A little bit of progression. Nothing more, nothing less. But despite how much we’ve spent, I’ll take that little bit of progression and those tiny steps today.

Nice to get the season underway again, and not to lose a game.
Dont like the `tiny steps` part, this is not the same team/squad of last year and not even the season before...no need to mention names but other teams have gone from relegation fodder to winning promotion i successive seasons ....leicester even won the premiership following a season fighting relegation!!! ... so i judge this seasons team/squad on its own merits and components ... if we remained with the same players of last season, a comparison could be made, but not when our owner has spent over or close to 20 million !!! .... AK now has all the tools now its up to him to create a nice product with it .... we cannot keep blaming the players anymore, the talent is there ....their goal showed me one thing, that during the summer not much work has been done on defending set pieces and corners... and now that we started the season, spending time on these drills will be less and less...

I dont agree with some of your observations, I watched the game on tele by the way so maybe so different things, Murphys contribution, bar the goal-so from a 4 he goes to a 6, was nadda...he had another two chances were he basically passed the ball to the keeper ...Dariwka was good at going forward yes, but he was sloppy in defence he had a couple of back passes that spelled danger ...and we got away with them...but going forward was very lively..sort of agree in regard the Portugese boys, although I think Diaz was very good in the first half, in second he went missing ...
You watch him as a goalscorer which is a fraction of a strikers duty. 80%+ of a strikers game is off the ball, especially when you are playing as a "target man" - that is what he does better than anyone else at the club

I dont agree with some of your observations, I watched the game on tele by the way so maybe so different things, Murphys contribution, bar the goal-so from a 4 he goes to a 6, was nadda...he had another two chances were he basically passed the ball to the keeper ...Dariwka was good at going forward yes, but he was sloppy in defence he had a couple of back passes that spelled danger ...and we got away with them...but going forward was very lively..sort of agree in regard the Portugese boys, although I think Diaz was very good in the first half, in second he went missing ...

If you’re judging him on a couple of passé that almost got intercepted that’s incredibly harsh!
You could say that of every player on the Park.

Ben is far more wasteful with the ball imo, well in the first half, tbf he was much better as were the whole team in the second.

That was not a bad performance all things considered; we more than held our own and could have easily come away with the points.

We looked hesitant early on, which was a big contributory factor in conceeding so soon into the game, eventually getting a grip as the first half progressed, to being well in control in the second half.

It was disappointing to conceed in the manner that we did, but our defending of set pieces got better as the game developed.

There were certainly more plus points than negatives today; it is going to take around 10 games for this team to gel, when it does we can expect fireworks.

Pantilliomon. Wasn't really troubled after the first five minutes, gave an asured performance and looked very steady.

Darikwa. Comfortably the best game I have seen him play in a Forest shirt, even his defending reached a level of competence. The highlight of his game was a brilliant interception in the second half when we wide open.

Osborn. Very good game. Looked a natural and linked brilliantly with Goncalves.

Fox. Apart from the goal, which I think was down to him losing his man, he played very well. He has the shirt and wants to keep it.

Dawson. Very steady at the back. He was the one making running repairs after the goal. He reorganised things at set pieces and we looked more composed.

Watson. His positional play was very good, maintaining his discipline and letting Geddy go maraudering all over the pitch.

Geddy. Awesome! Man of the match by a country mile. The fitness is back and so is his enthusiasm.

Dias. A proper live wire, was non stop up until the 70th minute when He ran out of steam.

Carvalho. A bit hit and miss in the first half but ran the show in the second. Once he gets to grips with life in the EFL he will be one hell of a player.

Goncalves. Probably the least flamboyant of the three Portuguese imports but a very good player nevertheless. He too ran out of steam on the 70 mark.

Murphy. Did everything that was asked of him. Won most of his headers, laid the ball of well, kept their defenders honest, hit the post and scored a goal. He is clearly not as good as Grabban but He will not let anyone down if used correctly.

Grabben. Gave us something different when he replaced Murphy. He is more mobile and gets around the pitch better but he Ddid not look so good when faced with the rough stuff.

Lolley. Carried on where he left off last season; another non stop live wire, albeit cameo, performance and very unlucky not to score late on.

This side will get better but needs time, particularly the Portuguese lads who are playing with the choke out at the moment; once we hit out stride we will be a joy to watch.

Hard game to judge today- the sun was so hot, the whole game was played in the 10m of shade on the right hand side. Geezers did ok 5mims in and Dias is tracking back to win the ball. Speedy g and Carl also worked hard.

Fox and Dawson solid enough, people knocking darikwa forgetting there was no play on his side of the pitch. Poor bastard was stood in plus 30 degrees.

We got better in the second half but from what I saw, we will get much better.

Pants only really made 1 save but claimed plenty of balls, tried to get us moving.

In truth the only winner was the heat. Reckon Tuesday will be more intense.

Coyr

If you’re judging him on a couple of passé that almost got intercepted that’s incredibly harsh!
You could say that of every player on the Park.

Ben is far more wasteful with the ball imo, well in the first half, tbf he was much better as were the whole team in the second.

The heat was killing everyone. I think carvalho and Osborn did great for the move that led to the goal. Some people need to go see the realism page. Perfectly decent performance given the heat and the fact Bristol are not completely shit.

That was not a bad performance all things considered; we more than held our own and could have easily come away with the points.

We looked hesitant early on, which was a big contributory factor in conceeding so soon into the game, eventually getting a grip as the first half progressed, to being well in control in the second half.

It was disappointing to conceed in the manner that we did, but our defending of set pieces got better as the game developed.

There were certainly more plus points than negatives today; it is going to take around 10 games for this team to gel, when it does we can expect fireworks.

Pantilliomon. Wasn't really troubled after the first five minutes, gave an asured performance and looked very steady.

Darikwa. Comfortably the best game I have seen him play in a Forest shirt, even his defending reached a level of competence. The highlight of his game was a brilliant interception in the second half when we wide open.

Osborn. Very good game. Looked a natural and linked brilliantly with Goncalves.

Fox. Apart from the goal, which I think was down to him losing his man, he played very well. He has the shirt and wants to keep it.

Dawson. Very steady at the back. He was the one making running repairs after the goal. He reorganised things at set pieces and we looked more composed.

Watson. His positional play was very good, maintaining his discipline and letting Geddy go maraudering all over the pitch.

Geddy. Awesome! Man of the match by a country mile. The fitness is back and so is his enthusiasm.

Dias. A proper live wire, was non stop up until the 70th minute when He ran out of steam.

Carvalho. A bit hit and miss in the first half but ran the show in the second. Once he gets to grips with life in the EFL he will be one hell of a player.

Goncalves. Probably the least flamboyant of the three Portuguese imports but a very good player nevertheless. He too ran out of steam on the 70 mark.

Murphy. Did everything that was asked of him. Won most of his headers, laid the ball of well, kept their defenders honest, hit the post and scored a goal. He is clearly not as good as Grabban but He will not let anyone down if used correctly.

Grabben. Gave us something different when he replaced Murphy. He is more mobile and gets around the pitch better but he Ddid not look so good when faced with the rough stuff.

Lolley. Carried on where he left off last season; another non stop live wire, albeit cameo, performance and very unlucky not to score late on.

This side will get better but needs time, particularly the Portuguese lads who are playing with the choke out at the moment; once we hit out stride we will be a joy to watch.

Actually Mao this is completely spot on imo

Yet again an MW signing bailing out AK.

Nice to see Gueddy playing well, have my reservations but love to be wrong - pretty much like Pope and his constant whinging about Osborn and Murphy...

Only listened on the radio but the reports sound reaaly good. AK seemed quite content (with the 2nd half).

Cant wait for Tuesday because i missed the bournemouth game so havent seen us yet.

Last season if we were 1-0 down and 1 shot on target at half time, we would go out without a wimper

This team regrouped, and came out 2nd half and dominated...more on target, better control...just a shame we didn’t finish them off

Vast improvement on last season...still think we could use another striker but if Murphy scores then FairPlay to him

Yet again an MW signing bailing out AK.

Nice to see Gueddy playing well, have my reservations but love to be wrong - pretty much like Pope and his constant whinging about Osborn and Murphy...

'Yet again' an MW signing saves AK?

When was the first time, given that only one (Bridcutt) has scored for 6 months before Murphy and all but three have been rightly fucked off out of the club?

And this is the second time you have tried to start an argument with me about Osborn. Don't bother- you've got the wrong guy. Bit embarrassing for you, but I wish you luck in finding whichever Osborn knocker it is you are mistaking me for

'Yet again' an MW signing saves AK?

When was the first time, given that only one (Bridcutt) has scored for 6 months before Murphy and all but three have been rightly fucked off out of the club?

And this is the second time you have tried to start an argument with me about Osborn. Don't bother- you've got the wrong guy. Bit embarrassing for you, but I wish you luck in finding whichever Osborn knocker it is you are mistaking me for

You were slagging off his defensive qualities only today and you do realise the MW comment was a joke? Probably not knowing you of late...

You were slagging off his defensive qualities only today and you do realise the MW comment was a joke? Probably not knowing you of late...

The lad can't defend. He can't play in goal either. Both are because he is a very good midfielder and not a goalkeeper or left back

Happy enough with that as a start. Be interesting to see how we fare on Tuesday after West Brom failed to cover themselves in glory today.

Think it could be up to ten games in before we really see what this squad is capable of.

Bristol City manager Lee Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol: "I thought we started really well, buoyed by a fantastic crowd, we managed to get a goal early, we dominated the first half.

"Second half, you have to be honest and say it was a different story, their quality shone through, it was difficult to contain them at times, but I thought we showed a lot of heart in the way we defended."