Match Thread: Aston Villa v Derby County, Sat 2nd March, 3pm | Page 14 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Derby County, Sat 2nd March, 3pm

Great post Mc4P.

But I disagree with this bit. For me, there was no real difference after TE went off. Hause and Mings looked just as comfortable, and Taylor was utterly untroubled, and actually got into forward areas well. But Derby were shot by then, so it will be interesting to see how he goes against Small Heath, assuming Chester not ready.

Maybe I’ve been a little harsh. He was untroubled defensively but I didn’t feel he offered anywhere near what Hause did going forwards - the effort is there but you know it will always peter out with a sloppy touch or over-hit cross.

Replacing Hutton/Elmo and Taylor is a must for me this summer.

Great post Mc4P.

But I disagree with this bit. For me, there was no real difference after TE went off. Hause and Mings looked just as comfortable, and Taylor was utterly untroubled, and actually got into forward areas well. But Derby were shot by then, so it will be interesting to see how he goes against Small Heath, assuming Chester not ready.

Yes. Taylor fitted in ok but it was game over. Really impressed with Hause at left back though.

I was pleasantly surprised by Elmo keeping his composure for the Tammy goal. I thought that he had so much time and space to think about it that he wasnt going to make it but he nailed it.

Yes. Taylor fitted in ok but it was game over. Really impressed with Hause at left back though.

I was pleasantly surprised by Elmo keeping his composure for the Tammy goal. I thought that he had so much time and space to think about it that he wasnt going to make it but he nailed it.

I think Elmo's crossing troubles happen when he has to get it in the air! On the deck, he's excellent.

For me, Elmo is probably a better bet at right back than Hutton (and I am not knocking McCafu, his commitment and work rate are first class, he's just not very good), although I would still like to see Bree given a proper run of games.

But today was a good day, and all of them showed up. First time for a while, and maybe it's too little too late, but I have had a fantastic day thank you very much.

:utv:

Yes it was very noticeable how often he was actually ahead of Tammy when we were going forward. This is the way he should be playing, much more effective and influential in these areas.

As you may have noticed I have been very critical of our Connor. However to be fair I have said previously that some of my criticism is to do with the fact that he has it in his locker to play like he did today yet hasn't shown it nearly enough.

Whether it's himself or the managers telling him to play the way he has been I don't know but today that was by far his best all round performance in a villa shirt. Energy, forward passing, taking a risk with a pass instead of a safe sideways one.
Again like the whole team just weird how that just happened today.

We'll see what happens now .....

As you may have noticed I have been very critical of our Connor. However to be fair I have said previously that some of my criticism is to do with the fact that he has it in his locker to play like he did today yet hasn't shown it nearly enough.

Whether it's himself or the managers telling him to play the way he has been I don't know but today that was by far his best all round performance in a villa shirt. Energy, forward passing, taking a risk with a pass instead of a safe sideways one.
Again like the whole team just weird how that just happened today.

We'll see what happens now .....

Yeah he seemed to finally notice that there is a whole half of the pitch AHEAD of him today. Very good performance from the lad.

I really think having Jack back (I’m a poet!) made the difference for Conor today - similarly McGinn looked his best with Jack playing as a proper number 10.

Jack has clearly been told “move wherever you want. Wherever you feel you can influence things” and him moving occupies opposition midfielders - leaving Whelan to sit and do his job whilst his midfield partner (McGinn / Hourihane) can play a more ‘box-to-box’ role. I reckon that is why, even though he’s been consistently good, McGinn has not hit the heights he did when Jack was playing.

Reminds me a bit of the Boateng-Taylor-Merson midfield under Gregory - Merson / Jack in the ‘free-role’ (though Merse would never get back and defend like our Jack!), Boateng / Whelan tackling everything and Taylor / Conor / McGinn operating between the two.

Oh my god !!! - What a performance, what a great day - where the hell did that come from ?

So much to say, just don't really know where to start.

Grealish had a dream return, and was outstanding first half (tiring 2nd half obviously) but it wasn't just that, it was like the entire team had been given some big home truths over the past week.

Seems a shame to single out players yesterday, as they all contributed but I feel I must highlight a couple.

1. Grealish - now I am his biggest critic, but yesterday was Grealish as we have seen him on those occasions where the very best wouldn't be able to touch him. He was outstanding, and that goal was truly remarkable - Roy of the Rovers stuff, I don't quite think it touches McGinn (or Scholes) but that is up there with the best goals ever sored at Villa Park. Play like that every week and you may just win me over - however, and this just goes to show about yesterday - I wouldn't even put him in the top 3 for MotM ! - 8

2. Hourihane - the abuse he gets on here is truly disgusting. Granted, he has not played well the last few weeks, but as I and a few others have said, since Grealish's injury, he has been forced to play a role he is not suited to, and has coped generally. He is on something like 6 goals and 10 assists this season - and you think he is crap ? - he is our only midfielder that can do that and is needed - it just needs Grealish, or a Grealish type (like O'Hare - to free him up to do what he does best. (which is why I was annoyed we loaned O'Hare) - 9

3. Mings - now you have to take into consideration the level we are playing at, but, he just totally oozes class, and is miles and that is hundreds of miles better than this league. At this level it is like watching Paul McGrath - 9

4. Hause - Bloody hell where did we find him ? - yep, dodgy start the other week, but since then the guy has been utterly outstanding. If we can keep him and Mings in that centre defence in August, we will walk this league. He reminds me of Ugo (again, you have to take into consideration the level we are at though). - 9

5. my MotM - Whelan - he was utterly, utterly superb yesterday, winning everything, driving us forward, playing passes Beckham would have been proud of, and to top it all, pinging that corner so Grealish had an easy finish !. Fair play to the bloke, I thought he was useless earlier this season, but since Xmas, has been consistently our best player and deserves the shirt.

They are the standouts, but they were all superb - bar Taylor, who was given the run around for the 5 mins, until Smith switched Albert to cover him, and then we were fine - but that is the big thing to fix - Rico Henry I would have thought.

A wonderful day yesterday full stop. Can we ? - 6 points, OK, they all have a game in hand, but we play them all , and most of them, at home - if we play like that - we certainly will !

Never thought I would ever say this, but McGinn needs to sit on the bench next week, there is no way any of that midfield deserves to be dropped after that.

Outstanding !

I wonder if we'd won 4-0 at Stoke if we'd have been saying leave Grealish out? No doubt some would, Obviously Hourihane is now far superior to SJM we can now leave McGinn out.
There is always room for improvement and let's be honest McGinn has been a class above the rest of our midfield all season, not just one game.

Two weeks ago most people would have given out the whole team away except for Mings Mcginn and Tammy. The rest were so shocking.

As I said in the week Jack makes us fly forget the Stats forget that he doesn't have an end product and just watch the best footballer to come through our ranks since Brian Little, he's worth the ticket price alone

I wonder if we'd won 4-0 at Stoke if we'd have been saying leave Grealish out? No doubt some would, Obviously Hourihane is now far superior to SJM we can now leave McGinn out.
There is always room for improvement and let's be honest McGinn has been a class above the rest of our midfield all season, not just one game.

Two weeks ago most people would have given out the whole team away except for Mings Mcginn and Tammy. The rest were so shocking.

As I said in the week Jack makes us fly forget the Stats forget that he doesn't have an end product and just watch the best footballer to come through our ranks since Brian Little, he's worth the ticket price alone

Don't forget Sid and Gary Shaw.

I haven't mate just think Brian was the most naturally skilful, Sid was the grafter with two great feet, not just one, Gary would have been the best striker we ever had if not for injury.
Jack just glides across water, Brian still walks on it for me
Little was exceptional

I haven't mate just think Brian was the most naturally skilful, Sid was the grafter with two great feet, not just one, Gary would have been the best striker we ever had if not for injury.
Jack just glides across water, Brian still walks on it for me

Wouldn't argue with any of that. That we rate Super Jack in that category shows how good he is.

Sunday morning and I'm still not sure where that performance came from. 1st half was probably the best we've played since the 2nd half vs Wolves last season.

Seems wrong to single out players when all were superb but here I go anyway. Thought that was Whelan, Hourihane and Hause's best game for us. Whelan won everything and his passing was spot on all game. Hourihane finally showed something other than decent set plays. He looked more energetic, actually got involved in the game for the 1st time since Jack got injured. I really hope we've already signed the paperwork to get Hause here permanently because he was brilliant today in 2 positions. Quick, strong, comfortable on the ball. Sign him up.

Jack gets a whole paragraph to himself he was so good. He tired after half time but he simply ran the game and made the players around him who've struggled in the last 3 months look much better. Is this partly psychological? Or is he just that good? Either way it's worrying if we can't cope without 1 man. It also makes you think where would we be if not for his injury.

Brilliant performance all round. Derby were poor but many poor teams have come here in recent years and we've made hard work of beating them. Not today. The only worrying thing is just how reliant we are on Grealish. It's Dean Smith and the rest of the recruitment teams job to get together a team over the summer that can play without him because to me it seems this one can't.

Great decision by Dean to make Grealish captain and play him from the off. The difference Hause and Mings are making cannot be underestimated and rubs off on the rest of the team. They were bullies at the back and played forward positively which helped to make everything happen. Well done too for Carroll’s little cameo, pass, move, forward, receive etc. Dean has introduced quality and Jack was the conductor of the show. The rest has been said by everyone else on here.

I was up in Brum the last two weeks so was able to go to Sheff Utd and Baggies games but had to get back home Thursday. Just my luck. Sooooooo pissed off.
Removing my selfish hat great result and the bit I was able to see on Quest bore no resemblance to the dross dished up in those two games. Jack effect ?
We now know who will be getting the first clattering tackle when we play those blue bastards next week.

Oh my god !!! - What a performance, what a great day - where the hell did that come from ?

So much to say, just don't really know where to start.

Grealish had a dream return, and was outstanding first half (tiring 2nd half obviously) but it wasn't just that, it was like the entire team had been given some big home truths over the past week.

Seems a shame to single out players yesterday, as they all contributed but I feel I must highlight a couple.

1. Grealish - now I am his biggest critic, but yesterday was Grealish as we have seen him on those occasions where the very best wouldn't be able to touch him. He was outstanding, and that goal was truly remarkable - Roy of the Rovers stuff, I don't quite think it touches McGinn (or Scholes) but that is up there with the best goals ever sored at Villa Park. Play like that every week and you may just win me over - however, and this just goes to show about yesterday - I wouldn't even put him in the top 3 for MotM ! - 8

2. Hourihane - the abuse he gets on here is truly disgusting. Granted, he has not played well the last few weeks, but as I and a few others have said, since Grealish's injury, he has been forced to play a role he is not suited to, and has coped generally. He is on something like 6 goals and 10 assists this season - and you think he is crap ? - he is our only midfielder that can do that and is needed - it just needs Grealish, or a Grealish type (like O'Hare - to free him up to do what he does best. (which is why I was annoyed we loaned O'Hare) - 9

3. Mings - now you have to take into consideration the level we are playing at, but, he just totally oozes class, and is miles and that is hundreds of miles better than this league. At this level it is like watching Paul McGrath - 9

4. Hause - Bloody hell where did we find him ? - yep, dodgy start the other week, but since then the guy has been utterly outstanding. If we can keep him and Mings in that centre defence in August, we will walk this league. He reminds me of Ugo (again, you have to take into consideration the level we are at though). - 9

5. my MotM - Whelan - he was utterly, utterly superb yesterday, winning everything, driving us forward, playing passes Beckham would have been proud of, and to top it all, pinging that corner so Grealish had an easy finish !. Fair play to the bloke, I thought he was useless earlier this season, but since Xmas, has been consistently our best player and deserves the shirt.

They are the standouts, but they were all superb - bar Taylor, who was given the run around for the 5 mins, until Smith switched Albert to cover him, and then we were fine - but that is the big thing to fix - Rico Henry I would have thought.

A wonderful day yesterday full stop. Can we ? - 6 points, OK, they all have a game in hand, but we play them all , and most of them, at home - if we play like that - we certainly will !

Never thought I would ever say this, but McGinn needs to sit on the bench next week, there is no way any of that midfield deserves to be dropped after that.

Outstanding !
Hate to say l told you so but l told you so. Connor hourihane was wrongly singled out as a waste of space. Smith played him in a holding defensive role,you don't have to be Alex Ferguson to know hourihane is not a box to box midfielder. I'm not saying Connor is the answer to our prayers but surely it's now clear that his value to the Villa is in a more forward role. Apologies in a stamped addressed envelope please.

Completely agree with what people have said - fantastic team performance and thoroughly enjoyable. Shame I couldn't be there.

Agree with what '57 says about the Grealish - Little comparison and would add that at times his touch, balance and ease on the ball reminds me of George Best, undoubtedly the most skilful and talented British player I ever saw. He can be that good on occasions - that and the fact that he bleeds claret and blue is why most of us love the lad.

Unfortunately, there is, as usual with the Villa, a huge black cloud lurking. If he (and consequently the team) plays in the manner he did yesterday for the rest of the season, the only hope we have of keeping him, Mings and Hause is if we win the playoff final.

Another performance like that next week and who knows........ The truth is that when we can consistently play at that high level over the course of a whole season, we will be ready to have another shot at the Premier League.

As regards the Hurricane, when he plays like that that consistently, I'll believe that he's the real deal. Pleased for the lad, because he does not deserve to be abused, but I would have McGinn in for him next week personally. High tempo physical games are not his forte.

One swallow does not a summer make.