Match Thread: Aston Villa v Derby County, Sat 2nd March, 3pm | Page 13 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Aston Villa v Derby County, Sat 2nd March, 3pm

I think Steer makes a big difference. In the 3.5 games he’s played this season our defense looks better organized and assured.

So sad that Elphick got injured, we are so unlucky with injuries. But I so so hope that those in power are doing everything possible to ensure that Axel Tuanzebe & Tyrone Mings become the next defensive partnership in the illustrious hall of fame

I think Steer makes a big difference. In the 3.5 games he’s played this season our defense looks better organized and assured.

I like Kalinic, but in all fairness to Steer, he was excellent today. It's very noticeable how he makes full use of his penalty area, coming and claiming high balls and through balls where Kalinic and Nyland seemed rooted in the 6-yard box.

Let's hope we give the boy a new contract.

If those in charge can't see and react accordingly to the result today, to the attendance, to the atmosphere, to the blindingly obvious that certain players are fundamental, then God help us. Today has to be the catalyst.

If those in charge can't see and react accordingly to the result today, to the attendance, to the atmosphere, to the blindingly obvious that certain players are fundamental, then God help us. Today has to be the catalyst.

I think I would have a small wager that they can see.

So sad that Elphick got injured, we are so unlucky with injuries. But I so so hope that those in power are doing everything possible to ensure that Axel Tuanzebe & Tyrone Mings become the next defensive partnership in the illustrious hall of fame

Went down quite close to me. He knew the moment he landed.

Had to pop on just to say, that was an outstanding performance today - Mings, Whelan, Hourihane and Jack in particular were excellent throughout.

Yes it raises questions about whether we’re a one man team and yes I can’t remember the last time I physically laughed at a team’s ineptitude like I did at Derby today BUT I don’t care about that right now. Sometimes you have to just enjoy the fact that you utterly wiped the floor with an opponent and today is one of them days. Can’t be bothered to undermine it with ‘ifs and buts’

Five stars to all concerned from me.

Nice to see us come out flying from the start for a change, it makes all the difference taking the lead as stops teams sitting in deep against us. Play with that sort of effort every week and I think we would all be happy. Hope this is going to give us a huge confidence boost for next week now

So here’s my take from my first visit to Villa Park in quite some years....
Steer - excellent, not because of any outstanding saves but because he dominates his box, is brave, and clearly communicates well to his defense, making them more comfortable.
Elmo - back to his solid self and really helped us dominate that side ((to the point that Cole was subbed at half time). Superb run and cross for the third goal.
House - starting to look like an astute piece of business. Could have done better early on when he gave their winger too much space to cross, but other than that he was rarely troubled and physically dominant. Decent on the ball too.
Mings - looks like a real player and a proper leader. Not afraid to play with his feet.
Elphick - so happy to see this proper pro in good form and seemingly enjoying his football at Villa. Hope the injury isn’t too bad!
Whelan - an outstanding performance. Completely dominated the midfield, rarely misplaced a pass, and was instrumental throughout the 90 minutes. One key moment, late in the first half sticks out when he went for a 40-60 with the Derby centre half (who was a big lad) and he won the tackle and the Derby boy came up limping. Immense. Sent a message.
Grealish - massive boost to have him back in the team and he is instrumental. Comfortable with the ball and always puts opponents on the back foot. His goal was stunning!!!! Proper captain’s performance.
Hourihane - now that’s the way to answer your critics ( including me) young man.... Still had a few dodgy moments but you can’t argue with two goals and a hard working performance.
Adomah - our right side looks better when he’s playing in front of Elmo/Cafu. Wasted some good crossing opportunities but overall a decent showing.
El Ghazi - great showing of appreciation from the fans after he raced back 40 yards to dispossess Derby’s winger at one stage. Showed today that he could be finally getting to grips with English football.
Abraham - love his work rate and how he manhandled their defense for Hourihane’s second goal. Always knew he’d score once Elmo put that ball across. Still needs to be better with his back to goal, but it’s forgivable if he is putting the ball in the net regularly.
Carroll - tidy and energetic. Could be an ideal signing for Smith’s declared way of playing. He can pass and move (what a concept!)
Taylor - was fine when he came on. To be fair he was much improved once Mings arrived at the club. Hause’s Good form is keeping him out.
Green - worked hard when he came on.

Fans - started quietly but warmed up once we got the second goal. Glad to hear less of the references to Birmingham. Glen Whelan deserves a song.
Music and stadium PA - Sounds like a bad day in a 1960’s era train station. And we still have that screeching intro “music” that nauseates!
Ref - shit
Linesman - shit
Linesman 2 - shit
4th Official - shit

Bittersweet for me as we absolutely smashed them today and showed when we are at our best and have our key players on the pitch what we are capable of, unfortunately I think it’s too late for us this season. If Jack hadn’t have been injured we’d have been playing more like this for the past 2 or 3 months and would be comfortably in 3rd or 4th place

Bittersweet for me as we absolutely smashed them today and showed when we are at our best and have our key players on the pitch what we are capable of, unfortunately I think it’s too late for us this season. If Jack hadn’t have been injured we’d have been playing more like this for the past 2 or 3 months and would be comfortably in 3rd or 4th place
Easily , we’ve not had the best of luck injury wise .

I really enjoyed this game. The first half was the football we've been begging for for ages. . The second half was a relative stroll but during it I liked seeing Jack sitting in midfield pinging passes around, closing down and taking on and beating opposition players. A perfect midfield performance.
More please.

Player ratings:

Steer: 8 - seems a high score for a keeper who didn’t face a single shot on target but a ‘keeper showing such authority, coming out and taking control is huge for a defence. His commanding performance was vital to the clean sheet and he should stay in the team next week.

Elmo: 8 - solid in defence. Great cross for Tammy’s Goal.

Mings: 9 - a colossus. Defends like a warrior and outstanding on the ball. Sign him at all costs.

Elphick: 8 - I’m his biggest critic and still suspect he has no future with us but he was excellent today. Sad to see him pick up a bad injury in what, in my opinion, was his best game for us.

Hause: 8 - looks a good player, equally capable in defence and attack. Would be happy to see him signed on recent showings.

Whelan: 9 - under appreciated for me. Clearly not the future but does what he’s asked well. Absolutely dominated today and floated an inch perfect corner for THAT goal.

Hourihane: 9 - a real ‘marmite’ player who I happen to believe is criminally under-valued by some. The man was outstanding today, hard working, great (forward) passing, 2 goals. Allowed myself a wry smile at those who booed him off against Sheffield Utd roaring his name today.

Grealish: 10!!! I believe that’s the first time I’ve ever given a perfect score but that man was incredible today. Seeing a Villa-supporting manager give the captaincy to a Villa-supporting player was great enough but seeing that lad take the responsibility and raise not only his own game but that of all around him, after three months out, made me genuinely proud. The best player in the league set up the first with wonderful vision and scored the best goal I’ve seen at Villa Park since Paul Scholes volleyed in from a corner against us. He terrorised Derby whether when was attacking or defending. Wonderful.

El Ghazi: 7 - felt he was the only one not ‘at the races’ in the first half. Much more influential in the second.

Adomah: 8 - looked like the confident player from last season, should have done much better with a couple of cut-backs though.

Tammy: 8 - excellent. Hold up play is improving. Should have had at least one more goal.

SUBS:

Taylor: 6 - noticeably weakened our left side after a forced change.
Carroll: 7 - tidy in possession.
Green: 6 - I thought he’d relish the chance to run at Derby’s dire defence but never really seemed to get into the game.

Smith: 10 - full marks. Got everything right from team selection to tactics to bestowing the captaincy onto someone who wouldn’t be an obvious candidate for most.

I’m just so happy with what they delivered today!

Last edited:
Don't think DS does favourites so I think he'll persevere with Steer. To drop him at this moment would send the wrong sort of message.

Likewise, McGinn coming back in is not a given. DS will think very carefully about what sort of set up he wants to destroy Blues. Today's lineup but with an Elphick replacement wouldn't be a bad idea. Playing Connor as an attacking midfielder makes life a lot easier for Tammy.

Taylor: 6 - noticeably weakened our left side after a forced change.

Great post Mc4P.

But I disagree with this bit. For me, there was no real difference after TE went off. Hause and Mings looked just as comfortable, and Taylor was utterly untroubled, and actually got into forward areas well. But Derby were shot by then, so it will be interesting to see how he goes against Small Heath, assuming Chester not ready.