Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Lincoln City

Accrington has always been a difficult place to visit it tends to usually be windy and wet and John Coleman’s teams are very direct, his players are big and pacy, in the first half yesterday I lost count of the number of early crosses they pumped into our box.

It is not just us Wycombe, Oxford and Rotherham and others have all lost at Accy his season.

Please explain your theory, reasoning. I may agree with you.

1) He didn’t start against them although we knew they'd be big, strong and direct when he’d have given us a more direct ‘out ball’ to relieve pressure, given he‘s better at holding on to it (the ball) and winning free kicks than Cullen 2) MA has often cited the excellence of Hoppers defensive work as much as his ability to hold the ball up yet we chose not to use it even though we probably were expecting to have to defend lots of crosses and set pieces. 3) We started a (not very good?) player ahead of him who is unlikely to be here next season. 4) We brought Marquis on ahead of him who is also unlikely to be here next season. 5) He hasn’t played that much since coming back from injury generally.

Last edited:
1) He didn’t start against them although we knew they'd be big, strong and direct when he’d have given us a more direct ‘out ball’ to relieve pressure, given he‘s better at holding on to it (the ball) and winning free kicks than Cullen 2) MA has often cited the excellence of Hoppers defensive work as much as his ability to hold the ball up yet we chose not to use it even though we probably were expecting to have to defend lots of crosses and set pieces. 3) We started a (not very good?) player ahead of him who is unlikely to be here next season. 4) We brought Marquis on ahead of him who is also unlikely to be here next season. 5) He hasn’t played that much since coming back from injury generally.
Cannot argue with that. Thanks for responding

could he not just be knackered after returning from injury?

Quite possibly, but he was fit enough to start against the Wendies on the 5th of March. I just find it strange he didn’t start or get on as a sub and hasn’t really played that much in recent weeks, especially so when it’s Cullen who is effectively keeping him out the team.

Quite possibly, but he was fit enough to start against the Wendies on the 5th of March. I just find it strange he didn’t start or get on as a sub and hasn’t really played that much in recent weeks, especially so when it’s Cullen who is effectively keeping him out the team.

perhaps as we are safe they didn't want to risk another injury - we have risked the out of contract or loan players instead.

People can make all the excuses they like (conditions were exactly the same for both teams) the simple fact of the matter was that we weren't good enough. Passing was awful, physicality against a big strong side was virtually none existent and even when they went down to 10 men you struggled to know which side had the 10 and which had the 11 still.

Too many players who know they aren't going to be here next season and while I won't say they weren't trying because they clearly were, they weren't putting in that extra 5% that the Accrington players clearly were and frankly it showed.

Felt really sorry for McGrandles who was clearly very upset and in a lot of pain and House well his injury sort of sums our season up in a nutshell doesn't it the poor guy.(I hope he is fit for next season and I wish him a speedy recovery).

Fortunately there is only one match left of this season and I hope we have a decent summer of recruitment and that we can get some stability in the team and push on to finish mid table.