MATCH OFF | Page 3 | Vital Football

MATCH OFF

markinkent - 18/3/2018 09:43

DurhamGills - 17/3/2018 21:17

markinkent - 17/3/2018 15:03

Maybe the club should push for May Spring bank holiday for the rearranged date. Two days after season is supposed to be over BUT would give more fans the opportunity to attend.

Cant happen - the end of the season is choreographed with all matches to complete on the same day, delaying the end of season may have a effected on the play off's

Understood that is the reason why it won't happen but it could if common sense and a bit of empathy for the traveling fans was allowed.

It doesn't really impact the playoffs as its two days later than the proposed end of season not two weeks.

Its a long distance from East Lancs to Kent and so many traveling fans won't be able to make the midweek game but could on a bank holiday. Gills would love the gate money and Rovers fans would love to celebrate promotion/championship.

Everyone wins and it really has no great impact on the competition. Is it really that much of a disadvantage to the other teams. I don't think so even if the result was to affect a result and I can't the outcome of that game changing much. Rovers will be up and Gills will be mid table.

I agree it won't happen but that's because in the order of things the paying public are right at the bottom of priorities. It could happen if there was a will and bit of common sense from the officials. It won't but it could.

If common sense prevails then it definitely will NOT be played after everyone else has played their final game. Would be completely unfair on all the other teams for Gillingham and Blackburn to possibly know what results they need from that game. A lot of assumptions made in your post - Blackburn may well need something from their final game and there?s an admittedly remote chance we might still have something to play for.

You?ll be setting a precedence too, as every other team come next season will want to book a rearranged game there. ?You let them do it last season?.

The main question I?m interested in is could the stand have been properly treated pre-game? Would salt/killfrost work on a steel floor? Sweeping the snow off the upper blocks of the BMS wouldn?t be too much of an issue otherwise.

Do people seriously think that the club haven?t at least looked into building a roof over the stand, ala Pompey? Even years ago I remember we looked into it, concluding it was unfeasible given the ground.

Trev_GFC - 18/3/2018 12:51

You?ll be setting a precedence too, as every other team come next season will want to book a rearranged game there. ?You let them do it last season?.

The main question I?m interested in is could the stand have been properly treated pre-game? Would salt/killfrost work on a steel floor? Sweeping the snow off the upper blocks of the BMS wouldn?t be too much of an issue otherwise.

Do people seriously think that the club haven?t at least looked into building a roof over the stand, ala Pompey? Even years ago I remember we looked into it, concluding it was unfeasible given the ground.

Salt does not clear snow just stops the ground from freezing it also would not do the steel any good and the forecast was for more snow

Nibbles / Trev - I can't argue with any of your points. As I say was just trying to argue it from the fans (consumers) perspective. I keep forgetting that in football the inconvenience to them isn't important.

Never expected it to happen was just making a case that it could.

Big shame for GFC. I don't know how much extra every thousand on the gate brings into the club but reckon the gate will be a few thousand lower midweek than a 3 PM KO on a weekend/public holiday.

DurhamGills - 18/3/2018 13:12

Trev_GFC - 18/3/2018 12:51

Salt does not clear snow just stops the ground from freezing it also would not do the steel any good and the forecast was for more snow
That was my question. Clearing the snow wouldn?t be much of an issue, I was wondering if an uncovered steel stand could be adequately treated in the first place so it?s not slippery. With heavy footfall through the course of the game the extra snowfall wouldn?t be a worry.

Well there is a blizzard in Gillingham now, I?m just over a mile from the ground, so the snow did come, just 24 hours later than expected!

Can't remember where I read this so don't shoot the messenger but I'm sure I read somewhere about 18 months ago that we weren't allowed to put a roof on the BMS even in a Bristol Rover canopy style due to the planning permission with regards to the height of the stand affecting the surrounding houses if a roof were to be constructed? I'm not a planning expert so I do apologise if that info is just pure rubbish, but that was the reason I was given that a roof can't go on the BMS.

TGPL, I don't know if that's true but the club did have planning permission for a permanent replacement stand and pretty impressive it was too. It was significantly bigger than the Rainham End. Sadly that permission has now lapsed although it is not usually that difficult to get an old permission renewed. I think it is highly unlikely that you could put any sort of roof on the Town End. It is, in essence, the sort of temporary structure that is put up at major golf tournaments. Other stands which are considered temporary and which have a roof like one side at Blackpool are much more substantial affairs and even then they have the disadvantage of needing supports at the front edge that obscure the view.