MATCH OFF | Page 2 | Vital Football

MATCH OFF

Clearly a decision that could have been made yesterday given the forecast. Scally can't blame the police or safety advisors; it was clear there was going to be snow etc and football is not just about the pitch ffs

LeatherGill - 17/3/2018 12:59

Just a thought but would've putting a cover over the away end not been an idea and a bit of forward thinking.........

Never going to happen all the time the new stadium is being considered.

If we were playing a team with a small away following then it would be one (in my opinion) with the away fans in the last block of GRS.

We can't do that with 1200 as it would mean asking all of the GRS fans to move to vacant seats in the RE / Medway Stand. I can hear them moaning already.

Bottom line is extreme march weather coincides with a big away following and the litigation society we have created. My only comment is should have called it off yesterday as a precaution to save the wasted journeys. The 48 hr weather models are accurate enough to say we would have covering of snow on the town end and clearly that's enough to warrant a postponement in the snow flake (literally) generation.

A covered stand would still have been affected because there was a bloody strong wind blowing the snow straight towards that end.

Could of put the 1100 Rovers fans in the town end side of Gordon Road with mesh up the middle and moved the couple of hundred of Gills fans to an area of thier choice. Not too difficult.

daveycrocket - 17/3/2018 12:41

Gutted for you also Lancs GordonRoad. Make sure you put your complaint in to Scally also!

Thanks for the thought Davey, don't suppose PS could have done much about it. I'm on a North bound train and just about to dream about the quality Gills performance and 3 points we would all have witnessed..... UTG

Maybe the club should push for May Spring bank holiday for the rearranged date. Two days after season is supposed to be over BUT would give more fans the opportunity to attend.

ME7_Gills - 17/3/2018 13:29

Could of put the 1100 Rovers fans in the town end side of Gordon Road with mesh up the middle and moved the couple of hundred of Gills fans to an area of thier choice. Not too difficult.

Assuming those gills fans have the good will to be agree to be moved. Gills fans goodwill ? Hmmmm not sure that would work.

Just wondering if LeatherGill actually meant a temporary cover (similar to that on the pitch) as opposed to a roof.

If so, could be a good idea I reckon. The difference between the crowd we would have had today and the one we will get on a Tuesday night would probably have been enough to pay for it.

Just been having a look on a Blackburn forum, they're not best pleased with the decision. Although laughably some of them have picked up on the OS preview mentioning that Nash and Murphy are unavailable with the sickness bug Ogilvie and Garmston had last week, and think that we're running scared :19:

Given the amount of snow we've actually had today its a bit embarrassing to have the game called off imo. The pictures of the town end on KOL hardly make it look like it wasn't possible to clear and once foot traffic was on it it would've remained clear, but guess in the current snow flake world we live everything has to be just perfect for a game to go ahead.

The town end stand and walkways within the stand are slippery when they're wet anyway.

Apologies Leather, it was actually the opening dig of Daveycrocket at Scally for not building a proper covered stand that I was directing my comment to.

markinkent - 17/3/2018 13:08

LeatherGill - 17/3/2018 12:59

Just a thought but would've putting a cover over the away end not been an idea and a bit of forward thinking.........

Never going to happen all the time the new stadium is being considered.

If we were playing a team with a small away following then it would be one (in my opinion) with the away fans in the last block of GRS.

We can't do that with 1200 as it would mean asking all of the GRS fans to move to vacant seats in the RE / Medway Stand. I can hear them moaning already.

Bottom line is extreme march weather coincides with a big away following and the litigation society we have created. My only comment is should have called it off yesterday as a precaution to save the wasted journeys. The 48 hr weather models are accurate enough to say we would have covering of snow on the town end and clearly that's enough to warrant a postponement in the snow flake (literally) generation.

The thing that?s never going to happen is the new stadium.
The Town End should have been sorted out years ago, it is the subject of countless jibes from opposition fans and adds to their overall ?tinpot? impression of us.

Today Blackburn could have been given the entire GRS and those Gills fans usually there moved to Medway Stand or Rainham End.
The BMS may as well be permanently closed with how useless it is now.

People talk about the snow which should have been cleared, but the strong gusts of wind would be making the scaffold creak and I don?t think I?d want to be one of 1200 people sat on it in these conditions.

I don't disagree that we should abandon the new stadium and built a rainham end stand on the town end.

Problem is my view doesn't really count. Our dear leader is still pursuing the new ground and until he gives up then no major development work will take at place at Priestfield

markinkent - 17/3/2018 15:03

Maybe the club should push for May Spring bank holiday for the rearranged date. Two days after season is supposed to be over BUT would give more fans the opportunity to attend.

Cant happen - the end of the season is choreographed with all matches to complete on the same day, delaying the end of season may have a effected on the play off's

Rearranged game will be on either April 10 or May 1st, assuming it has to be a Tuesday night, (not sure why we almost never play on Wednesday nights).

DurhamGills - 17/3/2018 21:17

markinkent - 17/3/2018 15:03

Cant happen - the end of the season is choreographed with all matches to complete on the same day, delaying the end of season may have a effected on the play off's

Understood that is the reason why it won't happen but it could if common sense and a bit of empathy for the traveling fans was allowed.

It doesn't really impact the playoffs as its two days later than the proposed end of season not two weeks.

Its a long distance from East Lancs to Kent and so many traveling fans won't be able to make the midweek game but could on a bank holiday. Gills would love the gate money and Rovers fans would love to celebrate promotion/championship.

Everyone wins and it really has no great impact on the competition. Is it really that much of a disadvantage to the other teams. I don't think so even if the result was to affect a result and I can't the outcome of that game changing much. Rovers will be up and Gills will be mid table.

I agree it won't happen but that's because in the order of things the paying public are right at the bottom of priorities. It could happen if there was a will and bit of common sense from the officials. It won't but it could.