Match Day Thread | Vital Football

Match Day Thread

tomytony

Vital Champions League
As a special,one off, Christmas gift to all I resurrect the MDT which seems to have disappeared from our normal routines.

As the numbers of lady and gentlemen on this forum dwindle to just about form a quorum for debate,discussion and information sharing I start this thread in the hope that ,as a new originator, it might bring some good luck and pre Christmas cheer to us all.

Team news- Brewster's out. :unsure: :eek:

Update- apparently the great escape of '91 started on the 22nd Dec and the next game was Luton!!
Believe Blades, believe.

Last edited:
We need a Christmas miracle with this threadbare squad but at least we have our identity back. A point would be amazing.

I,m hoping for the Ghosts Of Chrimbo Past to turn out tonight, Jimy Hagan, Tony Currie, Joe Shaw, Alan Woodward, Trevor Hockey, Jock Dodds, Billy Gillespie,Mick Jones, Brian Dean, Rocco Richardson, Graham Shaw and Fatty Foulkes in goyle. Am sure some twat as spiked my Guinness!

On this day 33 years ago,The BLADES won for the first time in the 1990-91 season,the score was 3-2 against the Scabs at BDBL.Plenty of ale was supped that weekend let mi tell ya.:guiness:I didn't want to upset the Op by pointing out he was a year out by saying it was 1991,cos i'm such a nice fella.:yes: UTB

Last edited:
Would have been 8-0. Hopefully will now be no more than 3.

Just want to see a competent performance. I think what happened at Chelsea will serve us well for this one. It's a clear lesson they should have learned,

Might be worth resting some players ahead of Luton, which is the only game to focus on. Arguably the two hardest games of the season are either side of it.

In the old days The Blades ‘didn’t start playing’ until after Christmas.

I’m sure one year the Christmas party at BDTBL was had in September.😂😂😂😂😂

Apparently I was 2 the last time we won at villa park in the league also the yr England won the World Cup 🫤 we did manage a win in the FAcup in 2014 though somat to cling on to 🙄

also villa are in my acca so I can’t do any more 🤷‍♂️

Apparently I was 2 the last time we won at villa park in the league also the yr England won the World Cup 🫤 we did manage a win in the FAcup in 2014 though somat to cling on to 🙄

also villa are in my acca so I can’t do any more 🤷‍♂️
Seen a rumour that Slimane is playing up top toneet,no Macca,Anel, don't know how true it is tho.UTB

The 'Great Escape' did, of course, as most will know, occur at the end of the season when all results were in.
That was in 1991.
That's why it was the great ecape of , you've guessed, 1991. :yes: :p

For the hard of thinking,shoud it occur again this season it will take place in 2024, not, obviously, 2023.

The 'Great Escape' did, of course, as most will know, occur at the end of the season when all results were in.
That was in 1991.
That's why it was the great ecape of , you've guessed, 1991. :yes: :p

For the hard of thinking,shoud it occur again this season it will take place in 2024, not, obviously, 2023.

:giggle:Well that dint tek long did it.Would that be the last season you attended a game at BDBL?:clown1: UTB

Anel gets a suspension if booked. So do Hamer and Bogle. So I wouldn't be surprised, or upset, if they're left out. It's all about Luton. Beat them and we're not dead going into the transfer window.

Last edited:
Hoping for the same score as when Murphy and Flynn scored the goals against them in the FA cup. What a day that was!! Also hoping the VAR goal line technology is working and in our favour to boot!!! it owes us one.

Remember in the 70s FA Cup tie at Villa Park when Conman Furphy was manager, Blades 1st Div, Currie, Woodward etc. Villa 3rd Div, we got twatted 4-0. Young Brian Little playing for them had a blinder. Bad day for the Blades!

Remember in the 70s FA Cup tie at Villa Park when Conman Furphy was manager, Blades 1st Div, Currie, Woodward etc. Villa 3rd Div, we got twatted 4-0. Young Brian Little playing for them had a blinder. Bad day for the Blades!
A good player Brian Little. Looked as soft as **** but was harder than he looked and a real handful. Always busy.

Anel gets a suspension if booked. So do Hamer and Bogle. So I wouldn't be surprised, or upset, if they're left out. It's all about Luton. Beat them and we're not dead going into the transfer window.
Anel's out and Hamer's on the bench so it looks like he's doing as you suggested.

McAtee, Lowe and Hamer can't have any complaints about being dropped after their performances at Chelsea. Larouci brought in to counter Bailey's pace I'm assuming, Cash can be got at down their right as well. Larouci must have impressed during training.

It's an unexpected team and I'm intrigued what the tactical plan will be. Hopefully something a bit more than Norwood 'pinging' the ball to Archer.