MATCH DAY THREAD : Reading v The Mighty Blades | Page 9 | Vital Football

MATCH DAY THREAD : Reading v The Mighty Blades

defensively weve looked a lot lot better the last two games , we have to lift it going forward and move the ball quicker ,run at players more and try and express our selfs more. its robot football at the minute

Gray, it’s the passing that really infuriates me, don’t know if it is lack of concentration or just plain lazy
I really don’t get it!!
Agreed. I think our general passing is better than most teams as the stats usually show so the ability to pass a ball is there. It's making a killer pass and decent crosses that let's us down and like you it also infuriates me. We seem to go from controlled and measured to hit and hope as soon as we get near the opposition goal. It's baffling really how often we waste so many good positions with a sloppy final ball.

Agreed. I think our general passing is better than most teams as the stats usually show so the ability to pass a ball is there. It's making a killer pass and decent crosses that let's us down and like you it also infuriates me. We seem to go from controlled and measured to hit and hope as soon as we get near the opposition goal. It's baffling really how often we waste so many good positions with a sloppy final ball.
Interesting you mention passing. It struck me last night( and well before TBH) that the possession pass- the back & across has become 'safe' i.e it's always to feet rather than a couple of yards in front for the man to run onto and break forward. Often they are free of markers but having to wait for the ball rather than being able to set off and make faster forward progress.
I supppose it's a sign of confidence- in the good times inder CW we moved it quickly when the opportunity allowed. As soon as it started going wrong we went into safe mode- and have been stuck there ever since.

Interesting you mention passing. It struck me last night( and well before TBH) that the possession pass- the back & across has become 'safe' i.e it's always to feet rather than a couple of yards in front for the man to run onto and break forward. Often they are free of markers but having to wait for the ball rather than being able to set off and make faster forward progress.
I supppose it's a sign of confidence- in the good times inder CW we moved it quickly when the opportunity allowed. As soon as it started going wrong we went into safe mode- and have been stuck there ever since.
Not only that TT but I noticed last night and in previous games if they receive the ball in space they control it but don’t move forward and thus allow the opposition to close them down and they have to go back or sideways as they are static just a couple of paces forward could change the entire momentum and also make it easier to push past a player and try to beat them like I said last night no one is prepared to take a risk it’s safe ball as you say

Not only that TT but I noticed last night and in previous games if they receive the ball in space they control it but don’t move forward and thus allow the opposition to close them down and they have to go back or sideways as they are static just a couple of paces forward could change the entire momentum and also make it easier to push past a player and try to beat them like I said last night no one is prepared to take a risk it’s safe ball as you say
I think only Bash and Bogle tried to push forward to creat more space and also tried to beat a defender apart from MGW who had a bit of a mare on the ball TBH and McG later on. There was absolutely zero serious forward movement down the left except for the old 1-2, I said to my lad that they looked like table football players.The question is why? We've been like it since Villa away 2 seasons ago barring a handful of games. It looks like we're being effectively pressed or closed down but in fact we're creating our own problems like you say.

Need to stick with 3 at the back and grind out the results to get us away from danger.

Bryan Robson Stoke away 1-0 style.

Really happy we kept another clean sheet I’ll be even happier with another on Sunday means we only have to score 1 and not 3 to get some points
I've been talking to a BLADE that went last night and they got back to Sheffield at 2.30 am this morning.He said it was horrible to see Flecky like that and all the travelling BLADES he spoke to feared the worst util Flecky stood up. Gigantic respect to all the travelling BLADES last night. UTB

most coaches at grass roots always teach kids to pass to feet and thats it, what we do is mix it up, to feet and into space for the player to run onto. we teach every single player no matter what position they think they are best at 4 things , to feet ,to space, when to run with the ball and when to go back with the ball. .its basic match scenario football. professional footballers should be able to choose the right option for a good percentage of the time they actually have the ball in a 90 minute match ,which is roughly 2 minutes in all. this is achieved best when the player is relaxed when on the ball. Pressure effects this in a massive way. We look like we have the pressure of the world on our shoulders when we play. last time i saw us play without pressure was our first season in the prem .

most coaches at grass roots always teach kids to pass to feet and thats it, what we do is mix it up, to feet and into space for the player to run onto. we teach every single player no matter what position they think they are best at 4 things , to feet ,to space, when to run with the ball and when to go back with the ball. .its basic match scenario football. professional footballers should be able to choose the right option for a good percentage of the time they actually have the ball in a 90 minute match ,which is roughly 2 minutes in all. this is achieved best when the player is relaxed when on the ball. Pressure effects this in a massive way. We look like we have the pressure of the world on our shoulders when we play. last time i saw us play without pressure was our first season in the prem .
Can you have a word and see if the club will give you a couple of sessions with enda steven’s I kept predicting it would go backwards and my m8 on a few occasions said no as the forward ball was the obvious option but he managed to turn back and lay it back to Davies or square to fleck who was probably in a worse position he was gobsmacked when it was pointed out before hand

Can you have a word and see if the club will give you a couple of sessions with enda steven’s I kept predicting it would go backwards and my m8 on a few occasions said no as the forward ball was the obvious option but he managed to turn back and lay it back to Davies or square to fleck who was probably in a worse position he was gobsmacked when it was pointed out before hand

just to say Bully that Enda had absolutely nothing going on in front of him yesterday.....and also that it was his recycling of the ball (from a tricky position) that led to the goal

just to say Bully that Enda had absolutely nothing going on in front of him yesterday.....and also that it was his recycling of the ball (from a tricky position) that led to the goal
I’ll dispute but also agree to an extent there were 3 maybe 4 occasions especially 1st half when a forward ball was definitely on but he turned back the rest of the time maybe but his first thought isn’t to go forward anymore like it used to be and yes he did play a part in the goal and I’ll also say he’s not on his own aya there are more in the team happier to offload safely than take a risk it’s a mindset Slav has to reverse how he does it I don’t know but that’s what we’re paying him for and not me

Reading have won 3-2 at Swansea today,perhaps it was a better result than most on here thought the other night. UTB

Reading have won 3-2 at Swansea today,perhaps it was a better result than most on here thought the other night. UTB

Given our recent form, the win on Tuesday was great no matter who we were playing. That being said, the Championship is often a stupid division. Trying to make sense of one result by comparing it to another is just asking for a headache!