Martin Allen - sacked | Page 2 | Vital Football

Martin Allen - sacked

I hate to see this happen to clubs with heritage and history, even if they are badly run. And especially when they're replaced by the likes of Salford and Forest Green, who add nothing and offer nothing to the league other than the wet dreams of their rich chairmen.
History & heritage mean nowt when money talks!

But i suppose since relegation and promotion to an from the football League it's was bound to happen. Get the points and go up , and don't get the points you go down .
It does give clubs the chance to achieve their highest league status, and some their lowest. It's points that count at the end of the day .

Could happen to Notts County soon enough. It’s like being fed to the lions when you are initially relegated, so many clubs in there that won’t be back for years. Hartlepool are really struggling too.

Could happen to Notts County soon enough. It’s like being fed to the lions when you are initially relegated, so many clubs in there that won’t be back for years. Hartlepool are really struggling too.

County really need to get rid of their manager to give the next new one a chance to sign loads more expensive crap players in Jan window.

Furthermore, Stockport and York have not shown much signs of making a return to the NL let alone the EFL, its a deep dark abyss.

Furthermore, Stockport and York have not shown much signs of making a return to the NL let alone the EFL, its a deep dark abyss.

And yet Stockport's crowds remain remarkably buoyant. There were 4,549 there for their Boxing Day game. This is their 6th season in NLN and they haven't seriously threatened to go up - last season was the first time they'd even made the play offs.

Even this year, though improving, they're some way off the top still.

The situation at York, though, seems a lot more toxic. In fact, they should be looking over their shoulders at who's below them, rather than looking up.

Who's next oldest? County might as well unscrew sign now and get it in the post to Villa or whoever it may be

Seems Stoke come next in list of oldest professional football clubs, but they've dropped out of the lge twice.

THIRD on the list is Forest who have been in since they joined with us in 1892.
So they can have the sign!! Saves on postage too, County can just walk round with it ??

History & heritage mean nowt when money talks!

I've said it a few times before but relegation out of the league is like falling off a cliff for those without rich benefactors. Prize money, solidarity payments, general income all disappears and you have two choices - gamble everything on one season of splashing money you don't have to try to escape (you will go bankrupt if you fail) - or slash and slash and lose out to moneybags teams like Salford.

I'm obviously now looking at this from the right side of the divide, but I honestly think automatic relegation has been bad for the league. Perhaps it'd be an idea to decide relegation by a three-season points aggregate (fall below the cut-off and you do indeed get relegated).

John Still has been great for the game. His record since becoming a manager in 1976 is exemplary, with most of it being spent in non-league football. A few mean-spirited people have commented adversely on the £1m bonus he received for getting Luton promoted, but it was just reward for someone who previously had taken very little from the game over 40 years. A great enthusiast, a man of football whose teams always played a good style and played fairly. Enjoy your retirement John, you have earned it.