MAPP - Stacey West Blog | Page 2 | Vital Football

MAPP - Stacey West Blog

Just remember this, the Cowley's first promotion came from a team assembled by 1 of our own Chris Moyses along with a legend Grant Brown.The Cowley's bought 3 players with them, only 2 ever played. and they kept that team for the whole promotion to Div 1, and Moyses did'nt have any main budget to speak of.Well done you 2 and thank you both.

come on boys

Just remember this, the Cowley's first promotion came from a team assembled by 1 of our own Chris Moyses along with a legend Grant Brown.The Cowley's bought 3 players with them, only 2 ever played. and they kept that team for the whole promotion to Div 1, and Moyses did'nt have any main budget to speak of.Well done you 2 and thank you both.

come on boys

It definitely did not come from a team assembled by one of our own. Take Raggett, Woodyard and Habergham out of the squad and it looks a lot, lot weaker never mind that "same team" finished bang average mid-table the previous season with a bigger budget than Danny and Nicky had...

come on boys
I'm assuming the two that only ever played were Habergham, Raggett, Woodyard, Anderson, Marriott, Whitehouse and Arnold?

I'm assuming the two that only ever played were Habergham, Raggett, Woodyard, Anderson, Marriott, Whitehouse and Arnold?

I’m thinking he meant but didn’t properly say that they brought three directly from Braintree (Habergham, Woodyard, Miles) and Miles broke his ankle at Woking game one.

But no for sure the Cowleys didn’t settle on what they inherited.

I’m thinking he meant but didn’t properly say that they brought three directly from Braintree (Habergham, Woodyard, Miles) and Miles broke his ankle at Woking game one.

But no for sure the Cowleys didn’t settle on what they inherited.
That's how I understood it.

Ahh, but are they blooming exponentially or linearly and will it be an infinite series or will there be some sort of ceiling to the eventual number of statisticians?
Now, would the infinite series converge, oscillate or diverge to infinity (or negative infinity)?

Do be careful with ocelots though, as ocelots oscillate a lot...

come on boys
Moyses could clearly spot a player and signed a few who were significant in the Cowleys' title season. But it took the Cowleys' coaching and managerial skills to take those players, part of a side which drifted into a yet another lower table finish, to combine them with the 2 they brought with them into record breaking title winners - and the dozen or so others have listed!

Most of the National League winners had been moved on in the 2 seasons before the League 2 title.

I think what MA has said is ‘horses for courses’. The model has changed and he is here to do a different job to the Cowleys - he is not trying to compete with them for what they achieved, but trying to take The club to another (higher) level. I thoroughly enjoyed the Cowleys’ time with us and they were exactly what we needed at the time. Can’t say I was always enthralled with their antics or mind-games but it was effective. Their legacy will always be remembered by me and I will always remember meeting DC back in Lincoln after coming over for the Wembley final. Brilliant experiences and I wouldn’t swap them for anything. However, that was then and football moves on.
I personally am very happy to have MA at the club and to me he has already proved that, given the right resources, he can take this club to the next level. He would probably admit that he’s still learning as well, but so far I am absolutely convinced that we have the right man for the job - certainly better than a lot of managers out there. Added to that he seems to be a thoroughly genuine, open and honest bloke who is also highly regarded in the game and I think we are very lucky to have him.

The reality is that for a club of our size it is much easier to "bankroll" in the NL and L2 than it is in L1. Yes it worked, yes the Cowleys were a huge part of that but their model is to spend big at the level. We can't do that at this level at this time.

Appleton did way better last season than the Cowleys would have on the same budget. We can't say how he would've done in NL/L2. People need to get real and realise that while we did not splurge Vince Dale kind of money season upon season we did up our game to get promoted in those 3 seasons and lucklily for us we had the right people in charge to make that money count.

To do the same in this division would leave us £10m in debt over a couple of seasons and that is not what any of us (I hope) want.

Appleton should have heaps more appreciation for what we achieved last season than he is getting and not posts above about "throwing away promotion" that ignore the behind the scenes, the injuries, any other non public events and the reality that we were competing with clubs with much bigger budgets, bigger stadiums etc. Not bigger histories I might add because we do have history. Success is not history. History is a timeline.

Last season we over over achieved and Appleton deserves virtually all of the credit for that. We actually did quite well with injuries last season and gained points constistently because of that. This year we have the flip where injuries are costing us dearly. Lady luck has deserted us but the manager has not suddenly lost his zing. We will stay up by a margin IMO. We might even get lucky and spring into the play offs, who knows. We will be much better next season with Mapp in charge than without that is for sure.

I was very vocal about the Cowleys very early on. Before we even played that first game at Woking? They were great for the club but you do have to look back as a realist and we did spend good money at NL, L2 levels. Not silly money but we were not scrimping along like we have to at this level because there are some "big money" clubs in this division and players at this level will not play for a few hundred quid a week and drive from Stoke every day.

Last edited:
The reality is that for a club of our size it is much easier to "bankroll" in the NL and L2 than it is in L1. Yes it worked, yes the Cowleys were a huge part of that but their model is to spend big at the level. We can't do that at this level at this time.

Appleton did way better last season than the Cowleys would have on the same budget. We can't say how he would've done in NL/L2. People need to get real and realise that while we did not splurge Vince Dale kind of money season upon season we did up our game to get promoted in those 3 seasons and lucklily for us we had the right people in charge to make that money count.

To do the same in this division would leave us £10m in debt over a couple of seasons and that is not what any of us (I hope) want.

Appleton should have heaps more appreciation for what we achieved last season than he is getting and not posts above about "throwing away promotion" that ignore the behind the scenes, the injuries, any other non public events and the reality that we were competing with clubs with much bigger budgets, bigger stadiums etc. Not bigger histories I might add because we do have history. Success is not history. History is a timeline.

Last season we over over achieved and Appleton deserves virtually all of the credit for that. We actually did quite well with injuries last season and gained points constistently because of that. This year we have the flip where injuries are costing us dearly. Lady luck has deserted us but the manager has not suddenly lost his zing. We will stay up by a margin IMO. We might even get lucky and spring into the play offs, who knows. We will be much better next season with Mapp in charge than without that is for sure.

I was very vocal about the Cowleys very early on. Before we even played that first game at Woking? They were great for the club but you do have to look back as a realist and we did spend good money at NL, L2 levels. Not silly money but we were not scrimping along like we have to at this level because there are some "big money" clubs in this division and players at this level will not play for a few hundred quid a week and drive from Stoke every day.
You’ve got to remember that we didn’t have a great budget in DC’s first half a season in the National League though and we were up at the top end from word go. It was the self earned income from Cup money that gave the budget a boost.