MAPP - Stacey West Blog | Vital Football

MAPP - Stacey West Blog

JT_LCFC

Vital Football Hero
https://staceywest.net/2021/11/22/d...fans-react-to-michaels-recent-press-comments/

Interesting article and comments from the gaffer. Very humble as you would expect, and disappointed he doesnt feel he is held in the same esteem as the previous managers.

The model has changed in which DC wasn’t to engrossed in and other opportunities arose. Also arguably one of the greatest season in Imps history and under the tenure of MAPP was behind closed doors.

We have the right guy in charge now, and even more admiration from me for what he’s attempting with the football club.

I was sad to hear him say that in his interview today - he's only been here a couple of years and has done a brilliant job in my view - it's all a work in progress and there's a long way to go yet. When he gets us to the Championship, it will all look very different

Keep Buggering On MAPP!!

I was sad to hear him say that in his interview today - he's only been here a couple of years and has done a brilliant job in my view - it's all a work in progress and there's a long way to go yet. When he gets us to the Championship, it will all look very different

Keep Buggering On MAPP!!

Well, I like him very much, even though he looks very scary.

DC/NC were just what we needed at the time. They transformed the Club and led us back to L1. They deserve their status. MA has built upon it and is doing a fantastic job in my view, in difficult times. It’s a work in progress though, and he will get the adoration he deserves over time… keep up the good work!

"Unofficially, and therefore not going down on this site, I’ve been told of one loan player already in the bag and one we’re trying for and believe me, both would have supporters calling our policy genius if they come off."

i like the sound of that....:yes: and not that long to wait now.

And nothing has changed, the man has taken everything that life could throw at him since he joined us including:
* Inheriting a squad 7 games into a season with no chance whatsoever of changing it for 12 weeks or so and sat and watched us basically just give up after 20 minutes versus Oxford but still ensured we stayed clear of relegation to have a second season in a league that we haven't been in for decades and decades.
* Selling pretty much any asset that he develops from the clubs recruitment programme while at the same time trying to improve that same squad
* Dealing with an entire season of no crowds, cancelled games and ill players on a shoestring squad with pretty much no fat whatsoever when compared to the other rivals for the title and at the same time fashioning somehow to be in the top of the league for a ridiculous amount of weeks. If he had achieved that while crowds were in grounds I don't think he would have any doubt about how much we appreciated his efforts.
* Building that squad into one that played football that was the envy of almost every other fan of a team in the same league as us.

* Had cancer for gods sake, something that would have had many many people (and I include myself in that) wailing and gnashing my teeth at the unfairness of life especially after the way his career ended.

Despite all that he seemed to just lean into the gale force storm lashing him even more and defy it to knock him off course...

I am really looking forward to seeing Danny and Nicky back at the Bank and everyone on here knows I think what they did was an amazing, amazing thing and I will never forget how they took this club off the floor and put it where it is in a way I don't think any other managers could have done. Michael, however, has had to deal with a series of blows and knocks that would have had many, many other managers tearing their hair out with frustration, whinging to the press and running to another job as fast as they could go and instead he's kept his counsel, squared his shoulders and got on with the job, treating us to some lovely football but most importantly of all... Winning. A. Lot.

The man is a fucking legend and we should let him know that tomorrow night...

Last edited:
I think the boos on Saturday (and the moans and groans from the crowd at home this season) have an impact. We've probably got the best coach we have ever had at SB (I always remember on day one interview, MA said he was a coach first not a manager).

MA is the manager of our club- I went to Wembley last season because of what he did with a shoestring budget.

As long as he's the manager of our club, he deserves our support.

Cowleys did amazing job by transforming not only football club but the whole city. That FA cup run, two promotions, win at Wembley..
With them in charge everyone felt a part of something. They were special. I think it is fair to say that they should be regarded higher than MA for what they achieved. Without them we wouldn't be where we are.
As for Appleton I think he is probably more suitable for this model of running football club that the board decided to implement in league one. Good coach. We are in competent hands in this aspect. Last season was very good but LOSING isn't really a success even if that's play offs final. Don't forget that we were top of the table for most of the season and managed to throw it away. Still massive respect for completing great squad, playing good football and finishing above many bigger clubs.
If he can avoid disasters like last summer's transfer window then hopefully we will be able to see more of that soon.

Cowleys did amazing job by transforming not only football club but the whole city. That FA cup run, two promotions, win at Wembley..
With them in charge everyone felt a part of something. They were special. I think it is fair to say that they should be regarded higher than MA for what they achieved. Without them we wouldn't be where we are.
As for Appleton I think he is probably more suitable for this model of running football club that the board decided to implement in league one. Good coach. We are in competent hands in this aspect. Last season was very good but LOSING isn't really a success even if that's play offs final. Don't forget that we were top of the table for most of the season and managed to throw it away. Still massive respect for completing great squad, playing good football and finishing above many bigger clubs.
If he can avoid disasters like last summer's transfer window then hopefully we will be able to see more of that soon.

Our budget was 14th in League One last season and is probably around the same position this season.

That is all. Nothing else to add.

Our budget was 14th in League One last season and is probably around the same position this season.

That is all. Nothing else to add.
So like I said it was a very good season . Respect and credit for that.
It was unfortunately also a missed opportunity. Opportunity that might not come round again soon...

So like I said it was a very good season . Respect and credit for that.
It was unfortunately also a missed opportunity. Opportunity that might not come round again soon...

People were saying exactly the same thing 4 years into Keith's stint as manager. What many failed to realise is those 5 years were the glory years for many of our new fans brought in on the strength of that success. And so it might prove this time for another 15 years or so. Enjoy it while you can, it won't last forever...

I think what MA has said is ‘horses for courses’. The model has changed and he is here to do a different job to the Cowleys - he is not trying to compete with them for what they achieved, but trying to take The club to another (higher) level. I thoroughly enjoyed the Cowleys’ time with us and they were exactly what we needed at the time. Can’t say I was always enthralled with their antics or mind-games but it was effective. Their legacy will always be remembered by me and I will always remember meeting DC back in Lincoln after coming over for the Wembley final. Brilliant experiences and I wouldn’t swap them for anything. However, that was then and football moves on.
I personally am very happy to have MA at the club and to me he has already proved that, given the right resources, he can take this club to the next level. He would probably admit that he’s still learning as well, but so far I am absolutely convinced that we have the right man for the job - certainly better than a lot of managers out there. Added to that he seems to be a thoroughly genuine, open and honest bloke who is also highly regarded in the game and I think we are very lucky to have him.

Last edited:
People were saying exactly the same thing 4 years into Keith's stint as manager. What many failed to realise is those 5 years were the glory years for many of our new fans brought in on the strength of that success. And so it might prove this time for another 15 years or so. Enjoy it while you can, it won't last forever...

I know what you mean and I am enjoying it (little bit less this season but still). As for ,,another 15 years or so" this is exactly what I meant. We might never again be given opportunity like we had last season. Salary cap, big boys underperforming, being top for most of the season and still end up with empty hands. That is frustrating for me. Not taking anything away from that great season but in the end apart from good memories it counts almost for nothing.

,,those 5 years were the glory years for many of our new fans brought in on the strength of that success"
I like that bit. That exactly what Cowleys did. They achieved massive success which brought plenty of new fans in. That's why we have almost a full house every home game now (even if our home form is so poor).

To be clear I never been against Appleton and I think we're in the good hands. Especially with the model we have at the club now. But, and this is my opinion, Cowleys achieved lot more than him so far. Doesn't mean that he won't beat that at some point with taking us to championship.
I like your post.
Have a good day

Agree mate, was very much a missed opportunity, although we were punching above our weight.. you will probably get a few negative comments because you see it this way.

If Appleton achieved two promotions from where we are now we'd in the premier league.
The budgets he's competing against are massive, we had a far more competitive budget in 2018/19 (top 3?) when we won division 4 but now it's mid table (a division higher) against 8/9 teams who've been in the top flight (some quite recently) and lot more have been in the championship and the parachute payments to help them we dont.
I dont get this 'we blew it ' last season either, nearly our entire first team either got covid or was injured (or both) in some cases and injured for weeks at a time. I'm sure if the 3 who went up had a similar injury list they would have struggled to go up too.
We're missing chances currently which hugely frustrating as Saturday showed but we missed plenty of chances last often at crucial stages of games, Grant fluffed penalties in big games and several players missed chances too.
Things aren't going to plan currently that's obvious but I'd rather be where we are now than we were before Clive and the Cowleys arrived during 2016 and changed the club, to whom I'm eternally grateful and know they've transformed the club hopefully long term.
Danny Cowley was a great motivator on and off the pitch and made a percentage of the city go to games that hasn't been seen the Taylor days.
Good luck to them and thank you for everything but the good luck doesn't go for tonight.

Last edited:
The Cowleys are rightly remembered as legends at our club by me and they transformed us. I am eternally grateful to them and I will show them my appreciation tonight as I am sure many others will as well.

Micheal Appleton is our manager now and I am hoping by the time he leaves he will be remembered as a legend as well because in that case he will have lead us to The Championship. I have every confidence he will and we just need to have a little patience.

Just think we could be two divisions lower playing Solihull Moors tonight in front of a couple of thousand like our neighbours up the road and not Portsmouth in front 8,000+. Appreciate and remember what The Cowleys gave us but also appreciate what we have as well in MA.