Man's best friend | Page 78 | Vital Football

Man's best friend

@wittonite

Competitions and whatsits have confirmed Vet investigation today mate.

50%+ of practices now owned by 6 companies (wasn't aware of that!) when 89% were private/family owned in 2013.

Explains a lot doesn't it.

Ours are as well looking into it out of curiosity, although again I can't fault them as they chose to put us onto the fact we could get treatments online - which frankly is the least they should all do unless a medication needs to start immediately.

News had one chap on earlier where he was charged £6 for a paracetamol dose (I assume 10 mgs - not human strength). I get a bit more for knowing the exact dosage requirements and that expertise, but when you can get a pack of 12 for about 80p in your local shop and have a decades worth of supply - that kind of mark up?

Drake always came in the car with Mrs T to pick me up from the airport. He was so excited when he knew where he was going. Last night was the first time he wasn’t there and I wept. I am again this morning.

Much like Wittonite mate, I can only say having these two don't change the memories, or change a momentary pang you don't see coming and it hits.

Some days I still expect to see Rox when I wake up. Other times I go to bed and when I get in, the youngest will jump off and I instantly flash back to Rox lying between my legs, or next to me as she always followed.

Seriously mate - it would be more worrying if you still didn't have 'moments' - that's to your credit and your love of Drake, embrace it. I woke up today with Kaia sat at the side of the bed (she needed to piss) and I sleepily told her to get on the bed thinking it was Rox, before I realised.

Probably mentioned before, Kaia is now showing big signs of losing hind power as the dysplasia kicks in more (thankfully no pain, or any real mobility issues yet) but added to a bit of wobble in her front paws on a walk if she doesn't plant them right and pay attention, she can't make the jump to get in the car anymore.

Long story short, missed her first groom of the year and we were looking into mobile groomers, it just took a bit longer than we hoped lol. Found one with decent reviews, albeit not many as he's a newbie and only been going for 12 odd months. He asked all the questions we thought should be asked, and he had the answers for ours without hesitation.

Having booked him for tomorrow, he was even happy enough to offer that if she was too nervous with him being new, he wouldn't charge, he'd just use it as a 15/20 minute introduction and we'd rebook where she'd be a little bit calmer.

Anyway, we pulled it forward a day as he had a cancellation, and having covered her manner, behaviour, age etc and that the groomers at Pets at Home needed about an hour or just over, as they described as being a three coat (as opposed to Ebbie's two coat who they could sort in 40/45 mins) he quoted an hour price (£40 cheaper as he included things they charged separately) with a tiny uplift if he needed the additional half hour if her coats were that troublesome.

For a start we were expecting more expensive as he was mobile, purely on the basis mobile vets are more expensive lol So that was a nice surprise.

Anyway, turned up at 12pm, 15/20 minutes getting to know us, refreshing his memory on what we'd said about Kaia, which was mostly him giving her a non medical look over, and having a feel around, double checking and then relating it to how he'd do things in the van to help her. Obviously plenty of fusses for both in the process, and whilst it's a tiny thing, our drive has a 4/5% incline that he'd parked on. Even though he had belly support straps, he insisted on levelling the van out to ensure it made things easier for her.

Probably started to groom her at about 12.30. Being a newbie, and given the time I spent searching up on him, apparently I was the nervous one - but at around 2.30ish Claire had to go out to find out what was going on.

His floor was covered in fur, but knowing she'd missed a groom and we'd been through winter, he had given her three fresh baths and whilst drying her, when he'd done the undercarriage, he took the straps off so she could sit or lie down to rest more, and he had to give her roughly four odd dry cycles from the sounds of things before he was fully happy.

We got her back at about 3 - 3.15ish, and after he'd cleaned the van, we got a full debrief, including him catching the quick on one nail as he couldn't avoid if he cut the nail properly (fully cleaned and treated). He told us about her sore paw pads (we had known (age, weight), but hadn't mentioned) so I was impressed by that, and it reminded him he meant to give a balm - which he then quickly did. He also then made a few comments about where she really likes to be fussed, and he nailed them.

To say I was impressed does him a disservice. He didn't ask for the extra we'd agreed on (he didn't ask for more either, I assume he was happy to swallow the extra time because he chose to let her better relax and take things slower).

She came back dryer than ever before, she came back more relaxed than ever before (she used to hide for 30 mins/an hour away from everyone to calm down - no mistreatment, just exhaustion and didn't want to be bugged). In the debrief, our aloof bugger kept walking back to him for extra fusses, she took to him that well and he had to deal with the youngest hogging his other arm as well.

Safe to say he was tipped above what we agreed (not as much as we wanted but we don't carry cash lol), Ebbie is already booked in for next month and then we'll standardise dates for both of them.

Anyone in the Tamworth area, I would highly recommend.

He even brought our bin up when he'd finished lol

Last edited:
And no, for the record, I haven't sold out lol

That is not a sponsored post and neither did I get a discount, I am just hugely impressed, and knowing what it's like to go self employed - well, the others we contacted who were established didn't even bother responding and one clearly shit themselves at hearing the words Husky and 36kg.

Their loss, his gain.

Probably mentioned before, Kaia is now showing big signs of losing hind power as the dysplasia kicks in more (thankfully no pain, or any real mobility issues yet) but added to a bit of wobble in her front paws on a walk if she doesn't plant them right and pay attention, she can't make the jump to get in the car anymore.

Long story short, missed her first groom of the year and we were looking into mobile groomers, it just took a bit longer than we hoped lol. Found one with decent reviews, albeit not many as he's a newbie and only been going for 12 odd months. He asked all the questions we thought should be asked, and he had the answers for ours without hesitation.

Having booked him for tomorrow, he was even happy enough to offer that if she was too nervous with him being new, he wouldn't charge, he'd just use it as a 15/20 minute introduction and we'd rebook where she'd be a little bit calmer.

Anyway, we pulled it forward a day as he had a cancellation, and having covered her manner, behaviour, age etc and that the groomers at Pets at Home needed about an hour or just over, as they described as being a three coat (as opposed to Ebbie's two coat who they could sort in 40/45 mins) he quoted an hour price (£40 cheaper as he included things they charged separately) with a tiny uplift if he needed the additional half hour if her coats were that troublesome.

For a start we were expecting more expensive as he was mobile, purely on the basis mobile vets are more expensive lol So that was a nice surprise.

Anyway, turned up at 12pm, 15/20 minutes getting to know us, refreshing his memory on what we'd said about Kaia, which was mostly him giving her a non medical look over, and having a feel around, double checking and then relating it to how he'd do things in the van to help her. Obviously plenty of fusses for both in the process, and whilst it's a tiny thing, our drive has a 4/5% incline that he'd parked on. Even though he had belly support straps, he insisted on levelling the van out to ensure it made things easier for her.

Probably started to groom her at about 12.30. Being a newbie, and given the time I spent searching up on him, apparently I was the nervous one - but at around 2.30ish Claire had to go out to find out what was going on.

His floor was covered in fur, but knowing she'd missed a groom and we'd been through winter, he had given her three fresh baths and whilst drying her, when he'd done the undercarriage, he took the straps off so she could sit or lie down to rest more, and he had to give her roughly four odd dry cycles from the sounds of things before he was fully happy.

We got her back at about 3 - 3.15ish, and after he'd cleaned the van, we got a full debrief, including him catching the quick on one nail as he couldn't avoid if he cut the nail properly (fully cleaned and treated). He told us about her sore paw pads (we had known (age, weight), but hadn't mentioned) so I was impressed by that, and it reminded him he meant to give a balm - which he then quickly did. He also then made a few comments about where she really likes to be fussed, and he nailed them.

To say I was impressed does him a disservice. He didn't ask for the extra we'd agreed on (he didn't ask for more either, I assume he was happy to swallow the extra time because he chose to let her better relax and take things slower).

She came back dryer than ever before, she came back more relaxed than ever before (she used to hide for 30 mins/an hour away from everyone to calm down - no mistreatment, just exhaustion and didn't want to be bugged). In the debrief, our aloof bugger kept walking back to him for extra fusses, she took to him that well and he had to deal with the youngest hogging his other arm as well.

Safe to say he was tipped above what we agreed (not as much as we wanted but we don't carry cash lol), Ebbie is already booked in for next month and then we'll standardise dates for both of them.

Anyone in the Tamworth area, I would highly recommend.

He even brought our bin up when he'd finished lol

We used a mobile when we came up for a Villa game, and next door neighbours had one to do their dog and ours needed doing, and with the added bonus that he asked me to stay in the van because Lola was a bit nervous. If we had still lived there we would have used him permanently. Also a fairly new start up and a young lad. What I did like was that he was openly gay and his caring side shone through and the dog loved him. Her nervousness melted away as soon as she met him and the groom was great.

We used a mobile when we came up for a Villa game, and next door neighbours had one to do their dog and ours needed doing, and with the added bonus that he asked me to stay in the van because Lola was a bit nervous. If we had still lived there we would have used him permanently. Also a fairly new start up and a young lad. What I did like was that he was openly gay and his caring side shone through and the dog loved him. Her nervousness melted away as soon as she met him and the groom was great.

Yeah, you know I'm the sort to see the good unless they prove otherwise, but I'm aware of the otherwise and watching for it, and knowing he was a newbie, I sort of half ignored him to begin with and let Claire do the chat - I was watching the dog's and their reaction.

The eldest, being the aloof bugger that she is, I can't describe it but I knew she was nervous but comfortable in a way I've never seen her on a first meet with someone - if that makes sense?

And to his credit with these two lumps, he asked permission to meet them (even though we paid him to meet them), and then he lumped on the floor and let them come to him - sounds like your experience, they just knew there was no threat, so they melted and relaxed.

That should be every dog's experience in my humble!

I have I mentioned the Sheppy on the corner?

Ex Police dog (didn't make the grade, too reactionary) - I've long loved her, age suits her as she's calmed and I can walk past her with my two at 12-16 foot and even off lead, she barks a warning but never bolts.

Anyway, knew of her before I had these two and if she spotted me from the garden, she's always barked - territory thing. I loved it, but don't mind admitting the first time I walked mine past the house when she was off lead and sat in the garden, I partially shat myself just thinking 'what if'.

Never happened obviously.

Slowly got to know her owner in the last few months, and about a week ago whilst talking to him, Kahla (spelling unknown lol), just walked up and because I am a bit socially awkward I didn't notice until I felt a head between my nuts as I focused on him.

1st meet with this 40KG German fine specimen.

Anyway, last night watching the eclipse on the news with the kids, needed to go the shop. Kahla beelined for me, almost knocked me over as she flopped in to my legs and she didn't move.

Jokes about search parties were made (my youngest actually came out the door when I was 20 odd ft away) but in fairness I had been about 30 minutes and I left when it was light, and returned when it was kind of dark. It's a 2 minute walk.

I got bollocked until I said 'I was fussing Kahla' and my whole family shrugged, said okay, and then told me what I had missed.

I don't know if I should be more worried about my family, or more worried about what happens the next time I see this Shep. She is stronger than Kaia, doesn't look it, but jesus the extra muscle.

I like big dogs, I'm wary but not scared, but when she flopped into me (yes my heart melted) I didn't expect to need an extra foot to brace myself.

I've already warned her owner there will come a point where I am going to kidnap her, she's already following me for attention so I think I'd get away with it.

Either that, or she eats me on the third meet?

Big breakthrough with our pup this week. She has always been afraid of other dogs and most people and would run too me, or just run anywhere if another dog approached. Yesterday and the day previous we encountered five dogs on our walk, and she instigated contact with all of them, and their owners. She also actively played with two of the dogs that she has met before. I am now hoping that she doesn't come across a nasty piece of work and her new found confidence is shattered.