Mané's sending off changed the game - for the right reasons | Vital Football

Mané's sending off changed the game - for the right reasons

Skoorb

Alert Team
For all the pontificating and blathering about 'no intent', 'Mane only had eyes for the ball' and 'you have to look at the reward if he nicks the ball away form the keeper' this article puts a different slant on the challenge.

I would not be surprised to see Ederson sit out Wednesday's Champions League fixture after the blow he took to the head from Mane's raised boot. Whilst the lad suffered no broken bones and returned to the stadium after assessment he seemed a bit groggy/wobbly to me and I would not be surprised if he wasn't concussed.

The challenged endangered an opponent and I cannot for the life of me fathom that there is any doubt whatsoever about the decision made by Jon Moss. Talk of 'ruining the game' and 'spoiling the spectacle' from Gary Neville coupled with his and Tyler's utterly childish and pathetic comments about 'endangering an opponent' whenever a tackle was made beggar belief and were thoroughly unprofessional. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I don't know if Neville has any children who play football but if his son or daughter was on the receiving end of a challenge like that I would bet he would not be saying "it's part of the game"

:013:

http://eplindex.com/80802/sadio-manes-sending-off-changed-match-right-reasons.html

It was good that the ref made the correct call, many would have bottled the decision, as for the pundits they have to talk about something............just blether

It's incredible that this debate is still going. Ratboy has been tweeting pics of high feet challenges today asking if they deserve red or not.

I can't understand how it's even a debate.

If a player goes in for a challenge which is late, with his studs showing and catches an opponent around the knee then it's a red more often than not, yet if he does the same and catches the opponent in the face it's apparently fine. :007:

Totally with you on this. I am absolutely incredulous that there is any debate. The journos on Sunday Supplement were split 50/50. It is utterly bizarre.

The player was kicked in the side of the head. The offending player was in mid air and could not have been in control and his studs connected with the face of an opponent. What the hell is there to discuss.

In all these cases the test isto flip the positions around. If Agüero had caught Mignolet like the dippers and their media fans would have been apoplectic. As it was a significant majority of the back pages were full of Klopp's view that 'it was an accident' and citing Pep saying he thought Mane was 'unlucky' as they garnered support for an appeal that I still reckon might happen when they face the reality of missing him for three games.

Unfathomable that there is a discussion in the issue.

Flip the positions around with Mane and Ederson mate, imagine if Ederson catches Mane like that, he more than likely gets a lot longer than a three game ban.

I don't beIieve Klippity will appeal. Every ex-ref dug up to voice their opinion on the incident are saying fat Jon Moss had no option but to give a straight red as his decision was spot on according to the rules. Also, Klippity could run the risk of a four-game ban if he does appeal and the appeal is considered frivolous (which it would be!)

Bluedub - 10/9/2017 21:53

Flip the positions around with Mane and Ederson mate, imagine if Ederson catches Mane like that, he more than likely gets a lot longer than a three game ban.
Absolutely - if he doesn't get to the ball first and cleans out Mané with a high boot to his head he would have been sent off. I can hear the Tyler/Neville muppets now "Ohhhh, well the referee had no choice. If you go for that ball as a keeper, you have to get their first. He didn't, he caught his opponent and it was at a dangerous height. You can't do that as a keeper. He should have headed it away " :017: :017:

Admittedly I haven't finished watched my recording of Goals on Sunday but had to laugh at Ben Shepherd relaying the responses asked for from the public to "Yes or No was it a red card"......

"It's even in our poll at 60/40"

Not sure who taught him maths but those two numbers same and so that doesn't make them even. :014:

Kamara was also peddling the 'he had to go for it' and 'he didn't see the keeper' coupled with 'there was no intent' lines whilst Ray Parlour reckoned that wouldn't have been a red 'anywhere else on the pitch'

Bizarre, just bizarre. I feel like I have taken the blue pill and ended up in some parallel universe :013:

Bluedub - 10/9/2017 21:35

It's incredible that this debate is still going. Ratboy has been tweeting pics of high feet challenges today asking if they deserve red or not.

If a player goes in for a challenge which is late, with his studs showing and catches an opponent around the knee then it's a red more often than not, yet if he does the same and catches the opponent in the face it's apparently fine. :007:

I just wonder how many of those picture with high feet, have both feet off the ground at speed

The image from behind Mignolet's goal is the most telling. Mane is in mid-air, studs forward, right leg straight as it connects with Ederson's face, left leg two feet off the ground :013:

I remain surprised that there haven't been calls for Ederson to be cited for trying to deceive the referee :004:

Buzz Lightyear - 11/9/2017 07:08

Bluedub - 10/9/2017 21:35

I just wonder how many of those picture with high feet, have both feet off the ground at speed

Hard to tell Buzz, just stills so can't judge speed.

Buzz Lightyear - 11/9/2017 12:33

If that had been our player I would still say it was a red and a daft challenge.

Right, so it was a daft challenge by Mane!

As Ederson is so good with his feet I'm surprised he tried to use his head!

Skoorb - 10/9/2017 21:47

Totally with you on this. I am absolutely incredulous that there is any debate. The journos on Sunday Supplement were split 50/50. It is utterly bizarre.
All 3 of the guests said it was a correct red. Cross did argue that he thought the law was wrong, but conceded that the decision was correct as the law stands.
Ashton is just a twat

Skoorb - 11/9/2017 07:03

Kamara was also peddling the 'he had to go for it' and 'he didn't see the keeper' coupled with 'there was no intent' lines whilst Ray Parlour reckoned that wouldn't have been a red 'anywhere else on the pitch'
I don't think any of these guys realise or accept that the game has moved on since they were playing :013:

citizhun - 11/9/2017 15:02

Skoorb - 10/9/2017 21:47

All 3 of the guests said it was a correct red. Cross did argue that he thought the law was wrong, but conceded that the decision was correct as the law stands.
Ashton is just a twat
:026: Missed that - probably because I was shaking my head so much that this was even being debated!

Tony Gale- Burnley Keeper dislocates his shoulder and he walks off the field, he's a proper man!

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/sky-sports-news-viewers-unimpressed-by-pundits-comments-on-edersons-reaction-to-mane-challenge-141433

Ouch.

I still found people today who didn't think it should have been a red card :013:

On the plus side it is Halloween soon and that will save him having to wear a mask. Those fake stitches never look great and they will look great as part of a Frankenstein's Monster outfit :032: