Manchester United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

We fell into their trap last year, they are very good on the counter, we're nowhere near our best at the moment, struggling for goals. As frustrating as it is, it was the sensible approach, I think.
I hear what you are saying, but in my opinion we bottled it.

Does this mean we can expect similar tactics whenever we play a team that is good on the counter-attack? For goodness sake! Almost every team we play shuts up shop and looks for a chance on the break!

We have a vastly better defence than last season. I had confidence that they would cope, and I'd back our attack to score at least one in most matches.

But now we'll never know.

Also, I think Utd's point was a better one than ours, if you know what I mean.

That's fair but I'm satisfied that we're still in with an outside chance of the league and we're not licking our wounds after yet another derby defeat.
Alternatively, we could be celebrating a win and fourth place in the league. One point less at this juncture is neither here or there, in my opinion.

Does this mean we can expect similar tactics whenever we play a team that is good on the counter-attack? For goodness sake! Almost every team we play shuts up shop and looks for a chance on the break!

We have a vastly better defence than last season. I had confidence that they would cope, and I'd back our attack to score at least one in most matches.

But now we'll never know.

Also, I think Utd's point was a better one than ours, if you know what I mean.

We are capable of overwhelming most sides so we won't be as pragmatic as we were yesterday.

I think that is it in a nutshell - and in my opinion it is showing Utd too much respect.

Do you not feel they've earned that from us given recent derbies?

I can't stand them but I do believe that on their day they're a very capable side.

I fully understand Pep's reasoning behind the formation and tactics, but I don't like it!

Football is entertainment, and that game was not entertaining, or even interesting.

Personally, I'd rather risk losing and try to win.

Also, moral might be slightly boosted with a point, but the message to the defence is that we don't think you can cope without two covering players in front of you, and the message to Foden, Silva etc. is that we don't think you're capable of breaking them down or tracking back effectively.

At least, that's my reading of it.

Again, that's all fair, I understand your frustration.

I guess because I went into that game expecting a repeat of last season, and seeing what happened against Leicester and Spurs this season re-enforcing that dread, I am happy enough with how it played out

Again, that's all fair, I understand your frustration.

I guess because I went into that game expecting a repeat of last season, and seeing what happened against Leicester and Spurs this season re-enforcing that dread, I am happy enough with how it played out
I have to say that I totally understand your position on this, and I'm partly playing devil's advocate here.

Three scenarios.

1. We play defensively and get a point.
2. We attack and get beaten.
3. We attack and win.

Well, 1. happened, and none of us feel very good about it.
2. We all feel like shit at having to re-live groundhog day. However, we would have learned that we can't break teams like Utd down, and our re-vamped defence still can't cope against fast breaks.
3. We all feel like kings (or queens, depending), and stride forward throughout the rest of the season, mopping up the trophies as we go!

I still think it was worth the risk.

Something of nothing but did anyone else notice when Sterling was caught offside in second half they took their free from inside City's half, how does that work?

Something of nothing but did anyone else notice when Sterling was caught offside in second half they took their free from inside City's half, how does that work?
I must have missed that one - I think I'd fallen into a bit of a daze by that point.

So, to avoid being hit on the break we don't attack? Or are we saying that we are not likely to score, so better avoid defeat?

If we're afraid to attack 'cos we might get hit on the break, what's the bloody point?

I said to my son that my only worry for the game was if both Rodri and Ferna were playing. Have we ever done well with two defensive midfielders?

Quite true, but as we all know in this game if the chances come along you have to make them count and we fluffed a few good chances today to actually win the game

Quite true, but as we all know in this game if the chances come along you have to make them count and we fluffed a few good chances today to actually win the game
It's all a moot point, as we can't replay the game. I get your point, and part of me agrees with it, but I would still see us with a more attacking line-up. I really think that this game was made for Foden, even if only for the last 20 mins.

Last edited:
Headline from the Guardian:

'Pep's turn to pragmatism leaves Manchester City's aura fading.'