Manchester United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread | Vital Football

Manchester United-Manchester City Premier League Post Match Thread

Colin Is The King

Alert Team
Manchester United 0 Manchester City 0
FT Stats
Possession
United 46.2% City 53.8%
Corners
United 4 City 3
Offsides
United 2 City 2
Fouls
United 13 City 6
Cards
United 1 Y City 1 Y (Fernie)
On Target
United 2 City 2
Woodwork
United 0 City 0
Off Target
United 9 City 7 (PL site has 11 United shots, City 9 - City OS United 6 shots City 3 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/59012

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/manchester-united-v-manchester-city

19:20
FULL-TIME
Man Utd 0-0 Man City

All over, it ends goalless.

Not a memorable one and a point that does not really do either side any good, tbh.

19:30
'Frustrated we didn't come away with more'
FT: Man Utd 0-0 Man City

Manchester City defender John Stones speaking to Sky Sports: "Obviously there were no fans and it was a different atmosphere. We both didn't create many chances. It's another clean sheet for us but we're a bit frustrated we've not come away with more.

"In a derby everything comes out. It's rarely a thriller. We can take a lot away from the fact we didn't concede. It's a platform to win a game when you keep clean sheets. To do that today away from home, it's very pleasing.

"It's frustrating not having anyone in the stands but it is what it is. The sooner they get fans back in the stadium the better."

19:36
Man Utd 0-0 Man City

Manchester United full-back Luke Shaw tells Sky Sports: "I would say it was very tight, a very even game and we made it difficult for them at times. They could not get their rhythm going and we defended well. Either team could have taken it at the end, two very good teams and we move on with a point.

"We lacked the final ball in the first half, Bruno Fernandes is magnificently well at doing that but we lacked that and we could have won the game.

"We have started slowly the last three or four games, we said we needed to start brightly and if we did not we could be 3-0, 4-0 down by 30 minutes.

"A point is better than none, we maybe could have taken it towards the end. Tonight we showed a bit more about us but we know we need to improve to fight at the top."

MUEN
Player ratings

CITY: Ederson 5, Walker 5, Stones 8, Dias 7, Cancelo 7, Fernandinho (C) 7, Rodrigo 6, De Bruyne 7, Mahrez 6*, Sterling 6, Jesus 6.
SUBS: Steffen, Gundogan, Laporte, Bernardo, Torres 7*, Mendy, Foden.

19:38

Three of the last four instances of Manchester City having fewer than 10 shots in a single Premier League away game have come at Old Trafford.

19:42
'Not the best result, but best performance'

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer speaking to Sky Sports: "In my time against Manchester City that's the best performance we have had. Not the best result but the best performance.

"It was a tight game. I know we beat them a few times last season but those were different games. They had a few big moments.

"It's two good teams. Tactically we knew they were going to give us some problems but defensively we were excellent. I'm delighted with the defensive shape. With the ball we didn't create as much as we wanted to.

"They probably had the bigger moments in open play. Everyone should be happy with a draw.

"Its a mental challenge when that happens to you [going out of Champions League]. The mental energy you' spend trying to recover from Tuesday is huge."

19:44
'A good point in the future'
Man Utd 0-0 Man City

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola tells BBC Sport: "0-0. They started well after we finished the first half well. We created three or four clear chances, you cannot expect many against a team like United and a good point in the end. It will be a good point in the future.

"United is always a strong team, this is Old Trafford and in a few details they are out of the Champions League. They score when they can run but we controlled them really well.

"It is not a derby, it would be different with the people and maybe they pushed more. It is different every week without the people, the virus is still there, you have to be careful."

19:50
'We have to be sharper up front'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports: "We created enough chances. Last season how they beat us, how they beat West Ham when it was 0-1, the quality of the United team is they can play because they are good.

"The important thing is we didn't concede. We had enough chances to win but the game was tight. Respect to both sides. We have to be a little bit more sharper up front."

On whether Sergio Aguero could play next week: "Today was a problem in the stomach. It's step by step."

Two defensive masterclasses.

As frustrating as it is that we lack real cut and thrust we are solid, that's a far cry from last season, where we were wide open when we gave up possession.

Awful watch but decent point.

Shocking game to watch, neither side was brave enough to win it. Pleased that VAR saved us for a change, and I don't think it was a pen in any case. Walker won the ball.

Sky
Player ratings
Man City: Ederson (6), Walker (6), Dias (6), Stones (8), Cancelo (7), Rodri (6), Fernandinho (6), Mahrez (6), De Bruyne (7), Sterling (6), Jesus (5).

Subs: Torres (6)

5 things we noticed from Yesterdays match

1. City has solved the defending problem but still need a right back as Kyle Walker was the man predicted as most likely to give away a penalty

2. City miss the impact that David Silva played and as good as Kevin De Bruyne is he needs a player of DS21's ability to create space for him.

3. Playing two defensive midfielders is a sign that you do not want to lose the game and compromises your chances in front of goal.

4. we were content with a draw, not always a good sign, whilst we have stopped goals being conceded, our goal machine has dried up too. We miss Sergio Aguero

5.VAR works sometimes

After the scintillating football we have been used to a match played like this - with limited ambition - is bound to feel difficult. I have mixed feelings. I would have loved to take the game to them.......but realise that all too often we have been too vulnerable to counter attack. Despite their obvious limitations that is one area where they have hurt us before. Time to move on. WBA next.

After the scintillating football we have been used to a match played like this - with limited ambition - is bound to feel difficult. I have mixed feelings. I would have loved to take the game to them.......but realise that all too often we have been too vulnerable to counter attack. Despite their obvious limitations that is one area where they have hurt us before. Time to move on. WBA next.
So, to avoid being hit on the break we don't attack? Or are we saying that we are not likely to score, so better avoid defeat?

If we're afraid to attack 'cos we might get hit on the break, what's the bloody point?

I said to my son that my only worry for the game was if both Rodri and Ferna were playing. Have we ever done well with two defensive midfielders?

So, to avoid being hit on the break we don't attack? Or are we saying that we are not likely to score, so better avoid defeat?

If we're afraid to attack 'cos we might get hit on the break, what's the bloody point?

I said to my son that my only worry for the game was if both Rodri and Ferna were playing. Have we ever done well with two defensive midfielders?

We fell into their trap last year, they are very good on the counter, we're nowhere near our best at the moment, struggling for goals. As frustrating as it is, it was the sensible approach, I think.