Manchester City | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City

Are City’s transgressions of a different order to the conduct of other leading clubs in the UK and Europe, or merely of a different degree? Does the outsiders-who-have-annoyed-the-cartel claim of City supporters hold any water?

Obviously, as a club on course to becoming filthy rich ourselves, we have to subscribe to the view that these matters must be handled delicately.

Are City’s transgressions of a different order to the conduct of other leading clubs in the UK and Europe, or merely of a different degree? Does the outsiders-who-have-annoyed-the-cartel claim of City supporters hold any water?

Obviously, as a club on course to becoming filthy rich ourselves, we have to subscribe to the view that these matters must be handled delicately.
I personally don't think Galinson is even close to competing financially with the liked of Wrexham and Fleetwood let alone anyone in the Premier league. Galinson appears to have enough to blow league two away.But that is a million miles from the championship and Premier league. The lack of Stockley or Marriott or any other striker with a previous hot scoring record shows there is still a sense of reality at Gills.

Chris, let's see how we go on Saturday before we talk about blowing anyone away.
I understand the enthusiasm but I think you're a bit quick out of the traps here.

Chris, let's see how we go on Saturday before we talk about blowing anyone away.
I understand the enthusiasm but I think you're a bit quick out of the traps here.
I was replying to Jokerman's post.It does appear webare one of years richest clubs in this division. That appears to have been limited by rules not finance. Money never guarantees success by any means.

I think Chris WAS trying to keep a sense of reality. Although I agree, we won’t “blow L2 away” but we have the potential now to do well in this division. Our dealings in the summer will be interesting.

I think Chris WAS trying to keep a sense of reality. Although I agree, we won’t “blow L2 away” but we have the potential now to do well in this division. Our dealings in the summer will be interesting.

Hopefully KJ and Hess are already working very hard to line things up.

They need to get the balance right with players that genuinely want to play for us rather than mercenaries looking at BG's wealth.

I was replying to Jokerman's post.It does appear webare one of years richest clubs in this division.

Correction: we are a club with one of the wealthiest owners (on paper).

I suspect most of our spending to date was paid for by the cup run and the matches against Brentford, Wolves and Leicester rather than the owner majorly dipping his hands into his own pocket .

I suspect most of our spending to date was paid for by the cup run and the matches against Brentford, Wolves and Leicester rather than the owner majorly dipping his hands into his own pocket .
I suspect the cup runs did help but Brad has been quoted as saying that he would rather spend a bit of money now to keep us in the league than pump the millions in that would be required to get promoted from the National League which is probably the most difficult league in the country to get promoted from. If we base it on the rumours that Nichols cost £60k, Lapslie & Hawkins for £100k for the pair, Dieng's release clause of a rumoured £150k from the Exeter fans and then an unknown amount for Coleman from Leyton Orient, its fair to say that has probably come from additional funds to the cup runs. The cup runs themselves have probably helped balance the books for lower attendances for this season.

They can appeal, but they can't take it to the court of arbitration, according to this:

"What will happen next?

Murray Rosen KC has been asked by the Premier League to select a three-person panel to form the commission that will hear the charges. At least one member of this panel must be a financial expert. The hearings will be conducted in private and there is no timeframe on how long the commission will take to complete its work. Legal experts imagine a matter of months. After the commission publishes its verdict, either side can go to an appeals panel and, after that, arbitration. If all that fails, a party could try to find an argument to take to the high court. Under the rules of association of the Premier League there is no opportunity for either party to go to the court of arbitration for sport in Switzerland."

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...premier-league-charges-key-questions-answered
Apparently City have asked for Mark Halsey to be a member of the committee. Can't think why...

Hard to be sure of answers to your questions but my sense is that City's alleged transgressions are bigger, of longer duration and have persisted after warnings, sanctions and undertakings to behave differently. I've no animosity towards them and dislike Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd more. I can enjoy the way City play and the quality of their players but their hoovering up of the best, seemingly to spike others on occasion, causes danage to the competition. If the door stays open Newcastle will shoulder their way through and others will founder.

Speaking seriously I don't believe we are going to be filthy rich. The Galinsons have no intention of chucking money at the playing budget on a regulatr basis. Our recent spending feels like a feast after the famine but doesn't even bring us level with the bigger spenders. The new owners talk of getting out of danger and making the club more sustainable in terms of finance. They are focused on the commercial side and see wider Kent as a big opportunity. They think they have the basis of a recruitment and development policy that will bring value. Time will tell if this a jewel in the sand moment, or something more concrete.

Hard to be sure of answers to your questions but my sense is that City's alleged transgressions are bigger, of longer duration and have persisted after warnings, sanctions and undertakings to behave differently. I've no animosity towards them and dislike Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd more. I can enjoy the way City play and the quality of their players but their hoovering up of the best, seemingly to spike others on occasion, causes danage to the competition. If the door stays open Newcastle will shoulder their way through and others will founder.

Speaking seriously I don't believe we are going to be filthy rich. The Galinsons have no intention of chucking money at the playing budget on a regulatr basis. Our recent spending feels like a feast after the famine but doesn't even bring us level with the bigger spenders. The new owners talk of getting out of danger and making the club more sustainable in terms of finance. They are focused on the commercial side and see wider Kent as a big opportunity. They think they have the basis of a recruitment and development policy that will bring value. Time will tell if this a jewel in the sand moment, or something more concrete.
https://sqaf.club/biggest-point-deductions-english-football-league/
According to the link, the 5 biggest point deductions appear to have been for going into Administration.

While some causes of Administration may include over-spending that would now fall foul of FFP, surely the Man City allegations, if true, amount to more than an impact on FFP, but would, in other circumstances, be deemed "fraud" (if true) ?

Luton -30pts 2008-09
Derby -21pts 2021-22
Bournemouth -17pts 2008-09
Rotherham -17pts 2008-09
Leeds -15pts 2007-08

And plenty of examples of 3pts, 6pts, 10pts etc

Plus the bigger crowds (full price) going forward could generate another 250k to 500k potentially this season.

Plus the bigger crowds (full price) going forward could generate another 250k to 500k potentially this season.

I suspect that what BG has done so far is commit to paying higher wages in the long term, rather than finding much in the way of transfer fees immediately.

That is what has allowed us to lure the better players. Clough alluded to it, I believe.

My distinct impression is that Gallinson is taking a measured approach rather than 'throwing money at it', which in any event is a pejorative term that some fans use to express disapproval ( and often envy ).

The Swine and their double-demotion (reduced to one on appeal) in 1990 due to financial irregularities springs to mind…

https://sqaf.club/biggest-point-deductions-english-football-league/
According to the link, the 5 biggest point deductions appear to have been for going into Administration.

While some causes of Administration may include over-spending that would now fall foul of FFP, surely the Man City allegations, if true, amount to more than an impact on FFP, but would, in other circumstances, be deemed "fraud" (if true) ?

Luton -30pts 2008-09
Derby -21pts 2021-22
Bournemouth -17pts 2008-09
Rotherham -17pts 2008-09
Leeds -15pts 2007-08

And plenty of examples of 3pts, 6pts, 10pts etc

There was a similar case over here in Rugby League a decade ago. Admittedly, salary cap breaches, and there’s only one league, no relegation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melbourne_Storm_salary_cap_breach

Melbourne Storm were found guilty of repeated salary cap breaches, and also of having a complicated system designed to cover up all the breaches.
The penalties handed out to them by the league, were pretty high. But maybe not high enough.

1/ Loss of the 2 Premierships they had won in the time of the breaches. And loss of 3 “minor premierships”.

2/ Fined $1.6 mill - this was the total of prize money they’d won in the years of breach. It was distributed back to the other 15 clubs. Plus $500k which was the max fine allowed under league rules (that should surely be a lot higher).

3/ Loss of all points they had accrued so far in the season they were “penalised”. 2010 iirc.

4/ Played the rest of the 2010 season for 0 points, guaranteeing last place (wooden spoon) and no prize money.

5/ Had to immediately cut their payroll to meet the salary cap. From memory, I think they had to release 3 or 4 of their best players to other clubs to meet this condition (no transfers in this code). They still had a very good side, and a lot of commentary at the time was they should have been forced to cut further.