Manchester City v Manchester United - Premier League - Post Match Thread -Stats & Reaction | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Manchester United - Premier League - Post Match Thread -Stats & Reaction

Manchester Evening News
Payer ratings
Ederson 7, Walker 7, Stones 7, Dias 7, Ake 7,
Rodri 8, Foden 9, De Bruyne 6, Bernardo 7, Doku 5, Haaland 6.
Subs - Alvarez 7 Bobb (too late to mark)

JoMU
Onana, 6, Dalot 7, Varane 7, Evans 7, Lindelof 6. McTominay 4,
Casemiro 6, Mainoo 7, Garnacho 5, Fernandes 7, Rashford 7.
subs
Kambwala 5, Anthony 2, Forson 5 Amrabat 3

Last edited:
NEW
Posted at 17:4817:48

Post update​

FT: Man City 3-1 Man Utd
fb543385-c42d-4fb4-a565-b49bb0cd4089.jpg

Roy Keane
Former Man Utd captain on Sky Sports
Eleven league games they've lost. It's a scary stat. It was men v boys at the end. They were just hanging in there, making mistakes. It could have been four or five.

'Every time you don't win a game it is a damage at this club'​

7dfcdb15-bfb5-45df-8083-07abb41547e7.jpg

Manchester United
Manchester United captain Bruno Fernandes, speaking to Sky Sports: "I think the commitment from the team was there.
"We had our chances. Sometimes we played a little too deep but you know City do that to all the teams, you have to defend your box and we did that really well in the first half. From a chance that could be ours it ended up 1-1.
"There's always something more you can do in the game, if it is City or someone else you can always do something better. City are a team that knows how to have the ball and pin teams back. We knew we had to defend our goal really well and I think we did, we should have had more spells with the ball than we did in the second half."
On fight to get in Champions League: "Every time you don't win a game it is a damage at this club. We know what this club demands and we want to win the games we are involved in. We didn't get the three points today but there's still a long way to go. We know it is not everything in our hands because other teams have to lose points but we have to do our job."

'Man Utd have to take their medicine'​

fb543385-c42d-4fb4-a565-b49bb0cd4089.jpg

Roy Keane
Former Man Utd captain on Sky Sports
I don't want to be too hard on United because City were brilliant. They showed why they're champions.
What City do is they find out all your shortcomings. There's no hiding place. It's like a boxing ring. They wore them down.
The stats show you how dominant Man City were. Haaland and De Bruyne weren't at their best but then Foden steps up.
I think it's more credit to Man City than being too critical of Man Utd. Manchester United will have to take their medicine today. Huge question marks for this team and the manager.

Walker: We call Foden 'the sniper'​

Kyle Walker speaking to Sky Sports: "This season Phil has been nothing short of first class. That's the standard he sets for himself. That's the standard the manager sets for him. He needs to keep that up now.
"We call Phil the sniper because he likes to shoot. When he comes in on that left foot you know he's got the quality and composure to pick his spot. He took his goals fantastically well.
"We lean on him and we need important players. He practices and puts the work in. His goals are coming and he's reaping the rewards."
Phil Foden speaking to Sky Sports: "That's my aim, to turn up in the big games. That's what I want to do. I think this season I'm proving that. Just need to keeping working hard.
"I understand what it means to the fans. It means everything to me. To score is even better, but it was all about the win today."

Post-match Opta stats​

• Manchester City have completed a Premier League double over rivals Manchester United for a sixth time – with half of these coming under Pep Guardiola (also 2018-19 and 2021-22).
  • This was Man Utd’s 11th Premier League defeat of the season; only in 2013-14 and 2021-22 (both 12) have they suffered more in a campaign in the competition.
  • Man City fired in 18 shots in the first half of this game – since Opta have this data available (from 2003-04), this was the joint-most Man Utd have faced in the first half of a Premier League game (also 18 v Fulham in March 2009).

Keane: City find out all your shortcomings​

Sky Sports' Roy Keane:
"I can't be too hard on Manchester United today as City were just brilliant. They showed why they're champions. That's 11 league losses now for United.
"That's one scary stat and what City do is they find out all your shortcomings.
"When you're out on that pitch and it's tough, there's no hiding place. It's like in boxing. City wore and wore them down.
"United had to take Jonny [Evans] off after around 60 minutes. They had to change the back four and they were hanging on anyway.
"It still leaves that question mark over where this United team are going. In the last 25 minutes they couldn't get anywhere near City, who toyed with them.
"It was men vs boys in the end and they were just hanging in there. Towards the end, you're thinking it could be four or five.
"There's still question marks of this team and unfortunately of the manager."

slightly different from the same quote - BL

Richards: City quality shone through​

Sky Sports' Micah Richards:
"I said before the game it's about being calm, composed and waiting for the right moment.
"City were finding it hard in the first half to break them down but it was about believing in their ability as United were so deep.
"They couldn't do it for 90 minutes and in the end the quality shone through. It's two different teams.
"One is trying to find itself, with their structure and style of play. But the other in City, they just blew them away."

Keane: Foden has to be in the England team​

Sky Sports' Roy Keane:
"There's great competition in that England squad and Gareth [Southgate] is very lucky but Foden has to be in that starting XI.
"As brilliant as he was going forward today, the other bits of the game, his running back and doing the job for the team.
"For me this kid is an absolute team player. He has to be in that England team."