Manchester City v Chelsea - Saturday 17th February 2024 - 17:30 BST - Premier League Match Preview and MDT | Vital Football

Manchester City v Chelsea - Saturday 17th February 2024 - 17:30 BST - Premier League Match Preview and MDT

Buzz Lightyear

Alert Team
The Game
To be quite honest, I am not sure what type of reception Cole Palmer is going to get. I know what the majority of City fans do understand is that Palmer asked for a move. Later we hear from Palmer that he never wanted to leave City. What he expected Pep Guardiola to do was plead for him to not go and promise him a regular spot in the side. Did he not look at Phil Foden and say that PF has thrived through Pep's handling of him? However, as is well known, Pep will stand one's-ones way should they want to leave as long as the Club received value for money and Chelsea did just that. So it is wait and see, I wonder if in the future City fans will want him back, depending on what reception he gets? A Sterling or a Milner.
Chelsea have won their last three games on the trot and could be on a roll and playing the World Champions seems to add that adrenalin to the opposing players as was the case in the away game when they snatched a draw from the Jaws of defeat.
City have had a couple of blows after the Copenhagen game with the loss of Grealish and Bernardo Silva and filling those shoes is going to be a tough job, whilst missing from the squad was Gvardiol and Kovacic.
Special Guests will be appearing on the City match day Centre who will give their own expert opinions before at half-time and at the final whistle. Alistair Mann will have a former Blue in co-commentary on the game bring us all the action via City+ www.mancity.com
Here on Vital Manchester City, we will be nervously following the game from places around the globe from the USA to Australia with the Motherland in between, with our own on the spot reporter Colin is the King, who will give us his assessment after the match.

Team News
It is not good news and City could be without 4 of their first team squad players, the most significant of these is Bernardo Silva, who scored a brilliant goal to put the Blues back in front at Copenhagen. Jack Grealish was forced off with an injury which leaves both players very doubtful for Saturday. Jo Gvardiol and Mat Kovacic did not travel to Denmark both with injury problems and also very doubtful.

Best Guess
Ederson
Walker, Stones Dias Ake
De Bruyne Rodri Foden
Alvarez Haaland Doku

Match Officials
Referee:
Andy Madley
Assistants: Marc Perry, Nick Hopton
Fourth official: Keith Stroud
VAR: Peter Bankes
Assistant VAR: Ian Hussin

Next
City v Brentford - Premier league - Tuesday 20th February 2024 - 19:30 GMT

Last edited:
Even with four good players out we should have more than enough to cope with Chelsea who appear to ship plenty of goals. Doubt that Stirling will start for the pensioners. This will be a good test for us, my team predictions have been rubbish lately, so wont bother. Score prediction 4-1 with a Viking HT.

Nothing settles Erling down more than scoring so let’s hope he can notch one early and focus on his job before his growing frustration get’s noticed by Pep.

Also of note is the return of KDB to the club where their then coach, famed for his ability to recognise and nurture young talent :whist:, famously let him slip through their fingers……..

Geez. It\s almost as if a club has never, ever sold a player ….to another club! Wow. Fancy that eh. City ruining football and destroying football careers. So mean to the guy not making him the first name on the team sheet. 😱 (Note - zero comment on why the guy himself chose to move or the way in which Phil Foden’s patience is now paying dividends….wrong narrative).

Cole Palmer: Pep Guardiola says move from Man City to Chelsea was 'my responsibility' https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68321023

So, just for the record when the inevitable pundit/commentator begins mentioning how much City have spent and the "115 charges"....

From 2003 (when Abramovich passed the FA 'fit and proper person' owner's test :shrug:.......no, I don't know how that was achieved either) & up to the point they parted ways with Tantrum Tommy Tuchel, our mid-table opponents this evening have spent £173m alone on managerial payoffs and fees to other clubs.

I wonder if that will get mentioned? {rhetorical question. Of course it won't}.

So, just for the record when the inevitable pundit/commentator begins mentioning how much City have spent and the "115 charges"....

From 2003 (when Abramovich passed the FA 'fit and proper person' owner's test :shrug:.......no, I don't know how that was achieved either) & up to the point they parted ways with Tantrum Tommy Tuchel, our mid-table opponents this evening have spent £173m alone on managerial payoffs and fees to other clubs.

I wonder if that will get mentioned? {rhetorical question. Of course it won't}.
fat chance of that happening

CITY TEAM 📋

City XI: Ederson, Walker (C), Akanji, Dias, Ake, Rodrigo, De Bruyne, Foden, Alvarez, Doku, Haaland.
Substitutes: Ortega Moreno, Stones, Kovacic, Bernardo, Gomez, Nunes, Bobb, Susoho, Lewis.

CITY JOURNALIST JACK MUMFORD FROM THE ETIHAD 🗣​

We knew there would be at least one change today with Jack Grealish ruled out after coming off midway through the first half in Copenhagen. It was always likely Jeremy Doku would be his direct replacement on the left wing.
We also see Julian Alvarez come back in to play the supporting role behind Erling Haaland with Bernardo Silva's fitness touch and go coming into today.
As for the defensive line, it's clear both Manuel Akanji and John Stones are being managed so they arrive at the end of the campaign in the best shape possible. Akanji may well step forward into midfield but we know the Swiss international told Pep he wasn't comfortable with it during last week's win against Everton, so there could well be a conventional back four today.