Manchester City v Aston Villa, Sunday 22nd May | Page 33 | Vital Football

Manchester City v Aston Villa, Sunday 22nd May

I think we folded because Man City is a relentless, suffocating body and mindfuck of an experience for the opposing team. Tired legs and minds eventually tell. Doesn't mean there weren't errors but when they can bring Gundogan and Sterling on and leave Grealish on the bench, you're just not in Kansas anymore.

There’s merit in what you’re saying but at the same time we did this against Wolves already this season. When the going gets tough we tend to fold. The lads lost the head, to take tip and concede another with 2 minutes is atrocious. That’s more than city personified as the terminator. That’s just terrible leadership on the field and fear of the inevitable.

It’s all easy to say in hindsight. Young probably should have came on after the first went. More experience in midfield, fresh legs and try take the sting out of the game.

Anyway still just upset about it. We’ve all too often been our own worst enemy. There is a capability in the players to surprise teams. However there is an even bigger implosion waiting to happen which nullifies all the good things they do. It’s one step forward one step back all season and I’ve had enough of it.

There’s merit in what you’re saying but at the same time we did this against Wolves already this season. When the going gets tough we tend to fold. The lads lost the head, to take tip and concede another with 2 minutes is atrocious. That’s more than city personified as the terminator. That’s just terrible leadership on the field and fear of the inevitable.

It’s all easy to say in hindsight. Young probably should have came on after the first went. More experience in midfield, fresh legs and try take the sting out of the game.

Anyway still just upset about it. We’ve all too often been our own worst enemy. There is a capability in the players to surprise teams. However there is an even bigger implosion waiting to happen which nullifies all the good things they do. It’s one step forward one step back all season and I’ve had enough of it.

Ever since I've been supporting Villa it's been the same. 2.0 up against Utd in the Cup and bottled it. Bottled every Cup Final we've been in. There are countless examples. I got called out on Twitter for describing us as a 'pathetic club' but that's how I feel. We have such a weak mentality and have done for years and I'm sick of it. If these new owners with sacks full of cash can't fix it who can?

109th on the list of league scorers this season with his 3 goals. Along such players as Matip, Pontus Jansson , Mee and behind the likes of Coady, Joelinton and Schlupp who were on 4 goals.:lol:
His contribution this year is maybe on a par with Buendia for us. Has struggled for regular starts but starting to look the part.
Villa fans desperate for him to fail remind me of George Best's bell hop asking 'where did it all go wrong'

To be honest during the match I thought Coutinho coming off was a decent move to make but some of the analysis on here has made me change my mind. He gave City a lot more to worry about than Nakamba. Without Coutinho we were much less of a worry to them and that freed them up to attack more. It was a bad tactical move.
I was concerned when Nakkers came on. Sometimes a manager should think I've no idea why we are 2-0 up so should leave things well alone. Over confidence in their abilities at that point. He's barely played since coming back from injury.

I repeat. He is top quality and full credit to Lange and co for getting that deal done. I 'm sure you will agree with me.

Totally correct. Digne is a class player even in that company yesterday. Same with Coutinho. Both Gerrard buys. Problem yesterday is that City can bring on fresh legs in Sterling, Gundogan etc when our legs were going. We brought on Young, Ings and Naka, a bit of a difference. Coutinho and Buendia were all over the pitch and showed they could play together. I’ve no doubt that Gerrard will be the overriding voice on recruitment and so he should be. Good times ahead.

Has he played enough to get a medal?

Also "couldn't imagine what former clubs would say if I didn't win that". Mate you didn't win anything. Your manager Brought on a full back and a defensive midfielder instead of you when it was all on the line.
He’s the next David May

109th on the list of league scorers this season with his 3 goals. Along such players as Matip, Pontus Jansson , Mee and behind the likes of Coady, Joelinton and Schlupp who were on 4 goals.:lol:

Behind Matty Cash as well. Based on his performance this season he shouldn't be getting interviewed there but he's more famous outside of what he does on the pitch now.

This had possibly been asked before somewhere but does anyone know if there's anything to the rumours going around before the game that Grealish winning the league in his first season would trigger an extra payment to us?

Figures of 15m to upwards of 25m were being bandied around. I'd still rather have won the game mind but it would be nice to think that the Coutinho transfer was paid off yesterday.

Narrowly beaten by one of the world's top teams. This has nothing to do with losing to Wolves and everything to do with the vast gulf between mid and top Prem.

We will get better and it's already started. Centre backs now a priority as mings costs us a goal most games.

I think its a bit of both. City certainly have better players but all players are human. Its impossible for me to believe that once their first went in at least some of our players didn't think "shit here we go". You'd have to be a robot not to in that situation.

I said not long after the game that that is simply what this city side do to teams. They make it hard to keep the ball and they rarely give it away. They pass you to death and tire opposing sides out, forcing them to run themselves into the ground chasing them. If they aren't having a day where they're smashing a side by a few goals they know that if they carry on the way they've been drilled they will eventually get an opening. That's why Grealish wasn't brought on yesterday probably, he's not drilled into the pep way yet.

I was really down yesterday afternoon. Thought we'd get best by a couple or more and the game would just pass by but to actually look likely to win at one point makes it harder to take. Especially as you know that those goals will be endlessly replayed for years to come.

However this crappy season is now over thankfully. With the signing of Coutinho and the imminent signing of Kamara hopefully we can start to bridge the gap between us and the sides chasing Europe. These are 2 players used to playing at clubs with huge pressure to finish high in the league, do well in cups and compete in Europe every year. Two players used to the kind of things we should be aspiring to.

This had possibly been asked before somewhere but does anyone know if there's anything to the rumours going around before the game that Grealish winning the league in his first season would trigger an extra payment to us?

Figures of 15m to upwards of 25m were being bandied around. I'd still rather have won the game mind but it would be nice to think that the Coutinho transfer was paid off yesterday.

I've heard this rumour also..

After calming down a bit from yesterdays game. I'm actually surprisingly pleased with the overall game, a big swing in momentum and quality cost us. We can cry all we want about the sub being the mistake but thats hindsight and at the time it didnt seem too bad. I personally wouldn't have made the change then, it was working. Unless PC was absolutely knackered he was our best outlet.

I want a big clearout this summer. I want a proper centre mid and hopefully we have Kamara now? Also want a big forward. Having one of them would make us so much more imposing when going forward, yesterday Ollie showed glimpses of hold up play working well linking up with Emi2 and PC.