Manchester City - United League Cup semi 2nd leg. Post match reaction | Page 2 | Vital Football

Manchester City - United League Cup semi 2nd leg. Post match reaction

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola: "We played a side with incredible physicality. The goal was from a set piece. The first time they shot on target.

" In both games we were better. I am so satisfied with the players, and the way they play with the problems in the back four.

"Aymeric Laporte and Fernandinho are not completely fit. Benjamin Mendy neither. We’ll see in the next days. I am pretty sure they will be OK for West Ham, I don’t know for Spurs. We don’t want to take risks."

no attendance given as yet - noted in the West Ham United PL programme for the postponed game on the 9th of February as 52,117 - CITK.

City missed several gilt edge chances tonight - tried to walk the ball into the net.
United, for all their neat possession play at times, didn't create anything in open play, and I always felt their best chance(s) would come from set pieces, and so it proved.

They can claim rightly that they won on the night, but they lost the 'war' at OT.
Can't deny a certain dryness in the mouth at that last gasp free kick chance, and thought it was made for Mata - luckily he didn't take it.

I've got to say it was a great strike by Matic though. We're a better side, but have only proved it where it really counts once so far this season from three attempts.

I still think that Stretford played above expectation a team that flatters to deceive, because City should and could have seen them off but for some unbelievable inept decisions in front of goal plus if var is there then offside is not an option you can beat you have to stay behind enemy lines before you pounce.

we are not playing well at all but this may purely be down to the constant changes in the team instead of playing a settled side

Sterling's confidence look totally shot - which he didn't do tonight :shake:

I'm baffled why Pep keeps selecting him, bench him and let him earn his place back, playing him in the hope he turns his form around is not working.

Jesus is itching to play, there's an opportunity there for him to gain valuable minutes with Aguero on the pitch, I'd love to see him get them.

I'm baffled why Pep keeps selecting him, bench him and let him earn his place back, playing him in the hope he turns his form around is not working.

Jesus is itching to play, there's an opportunity there for him to gain valuable minutes with Aguero on the pitch, I'd love to see him get them.

The selection of the forward unit for this upcoming Spurs game will be very interesting, to say the least.

Maybe Pep’s problem is that he has too many players to choose from.
Love to know what his real thinking on Sterling is?
By constantly picking him, that might be causing a bit of discontent in the team.
We certainly have to replace some and reorganise our defence.

Buzz already posted this quote but I have to post for the pic, I imagine this was every City fan in that moment.

That was pretty much my stance in front of the tv :arrghh: unbelievably stupid by Otamendi.

Sterling - what is wrong with the lad beats me. He was tearing up defences earlier in the season, now he is dithering on the ball and at one point just did not seem to even want the thing. As has been said he needs to be benched and earn his place again. He doesn’t deserve it right now.

The decision by David Silva to pass instead of shoot? Another WTF moment as it was on his favourite foot. Seeing that clip again has me stood looking like KDB in that still image :shake:

Pep’s comments about Laporte, Ferna and Mendy’s Fitness gives me concern but I wonder if he isn’t just keeping them wrapped up for the CL now that the League is gone?

Yes I think that is the case, ease them in slowly and not in a derby.

Oily said it was not a sending off for Matic, he must have missed the warning he gave to Maguire about Matic after he took one for the team (not tactical) and told him the next time he will send him off and that is what he did.