Manchester City - United League Cup semi 2nd leg. Post match reaction | Vital Football

Manchester City - United League Cup semi 2nd leg. Post match reaction

Buzz's
Player Ratings:-
Bravo- 6 unsighted for goal otherwise a decent game
Walker - 8 solid performance
Otamendi - 6 gave too many fouls away in dangerous areas by jumping in
Rodri- 7 boke up a few attacks booked for the obligatory tactical foul ™
Cancelo - 8 out of position but played and defended well
Gundogan - 5 not his best tonight
De Bruyne** - 9 ran his socks off persistently fouled
Bernardo - 8 box to box harrassed and ran all night
Mahrez** - 6 too well policed
Sterling- 6 showing signs of returning to form, should have scored
Aguero*** - 8 showed ran the line unlucky not to score
SUBS David Silva 6, Jesus***6 Stones** 6 Not used Ederson, Zinchenko Garcia, Foden

MUEN

Player Ratings

Bravo- 6
Walker - 7
Otamendi - 7
Rodri- 7
Cancelo - 7
Gundogan - 6
De Bruyne** - 7
Bernardo - 7
Mahrez** - 5
Sterling - 4
Aguero*** - 7
SUBS David Silva 7, Jesus***6 Stones** 6 Not used Ederson, Zinchenko Garcia, Foden

City lost yet again to JoMU at the Etihad but progress to the final courtesy of the lead they amassed in the first leg. Pep deployed only one recognised centre back in a fluid formation which created chances but could not finish the tie off. A needless free kick and more casual ball watching allowed Matic to score and raise the tension in the stadium. City were denied a penalty by VAR and had two goals chalked off for on side (neither of which were we granted the courtesy of the VAR replays). Despite being reduced to ten men after Matic was sent off for a second yellow card the rags were nearly gifted an equaliser when Otamendi suffered another example of his regular brain fart “this is too easy, let me lunge in and give away a dangerous free kick” moments. Sterling’s deterioration in form continued apace and was summed up by a run into the box where he beat three players, ignored the well placed Agüero and shovelled his shot way over the bar.

But in the end we won the tie over the two legs and we’re off to Wembley.

SKY Player ratings
Manchester City: Bravo (6), Walker (6), Rodrigo (6), Otamendi (6), Cancelo (7), Gundogan (6), Mahrez (5), De Bruyne (7), Bernardo (6), Sterling (5), Aguero (5)

Manchester City's Ilkay Gudogan: "We should have scored early in the first half. We should have scored at least one or two goals today but it wasn't to be.

"The manager said before the game this is now an experience, we have to survive and overcome. I think we can improve. It is a learning process."

De Bruyne rues missed opportunities...

"I can't really comprehend how we lose this game, for me United didn't even have one chance today. We were way too wasteful at the other end. I think we got sloppy. We don't clear the lines good, and out of nothing they scored. You can tell me if United had another chance...

"If we win the final no-one will talk about this game. The final is a nice day and we will fight to win the cup. If we do it will be nice."

De Bruyne rues missed opportunities...

"I can't really comprehend how we lose this game, for me United didn't even have one chance today. We were way too wasteful at the other end. I think we got sloppy. We don't clear the lines good, and out of nothing they scored. You can tell me if United had another chance...

"If we win the final no-one will talk about this game. The final is a nice day and we will fight to win the cup. If we do it will be nice."

He sums it up very well, it's incredible how we lost that all things considered.

Ian Dennis
Radio 5 live senior football reporter
Other than the goal, United didn't really test Claudio Bravo.
Man City should have made it a lot easier than it was in the end. Raheem Sterling was guilty of a missed opportunity as was David Silva - so they had the chances to make it a smoother route to Wembley.
They're the third team to make it to the final of the EFL Cup final three seasons in a row.