Manchester City-Southampton Premier League Post Match Thread | Page 3 | Vital Football

Manchester City-Southampton Premier League Post Match Thread

The irony is that I always thought that this was EXACVTLy the sort of incident that VAR would help resolve. On Field Ref does not have the best angle, VAR with multiple camera’s has a view that allows them to confirm a foul.......and yet Atkinson reverted to type and backed his colleague. Borders on corruption really.

In a parallel world though this may have happened ......penalty given, we miss it (with our recent penalty form more than 50/50).....the pattern of the game changes so neither Mahrez nor Gundogan score. We go in at 1-1 and Saints come out, snatch a quick second and we struggle to break them down. FT 1-2 cue ”City in Crisis“ headlines......:unsure:

The irony is that I always thought that this was EXACVTLy the sort of incident that VAR would help resolve. On Field Ref does not have the best angle, VAR with multiple camera’s has a view that allows them to confirm a foul.......and yet Atkinson reverted to type and backed his colleague. Borders on corruption really.

In a parallel world though this may have happened ......penalty given, we miss it (with our recent penalty form more than 50/50).....the pattern of the game changes so neither Mahrez nor Gundogan score. We go in at 1-1 and Saints come out, snatch a quick second and we struggle to break them down. FT 1-2 cue ”City in Crisis“ headlines......:unsure:

It wasn't Atkinson, it was Andy Madley. I suspect it was a case of junior ref on VAR afraid to overrule senior ref on field. Why the monitor wasn't used beat me.

Remember the handball against Laporte when we had a winner chalked off, That to me wasn't clear and obvious and they gave it. I mean last night it was so obvious so what is going on?

Remember the handball against Laporte when we had a winner chalked off, That to me wasn't clear and obvious and they gave it. I mean last night it was so obvious so what is going on?

Goodness knows. SSN going large on the error this morning. There are images of McCarthy catching the inside of Foden’s left boot - clear as day - and it is disturbing that the penalty wasn’t awarded.

THIS is where the PGMOL would do themselves some good if they came out, put their hands up and said “we made a mistake” but of course they won’t. So I am not sure which is the greater disgracE. That such an obvious mistake was made or that they haven’t got the guts to admit it.

It wasn't Atkinson, it was Andy Madley. I suspect it was a case of junior ref on VAR afraid to overrule senior ref on field. Why the monitor wasn't used beat me.
I stand corrected. Serves me right for listening to Martin Tyler Hitting

You are absolutely spot on BD about the use of the monitor. The VAR official may have been junior but if he didn’t even have the balls to say to Moss “Get your fat a**e over to the monitor and have a look - you REALLY need to watch what I have seen” (perhaps not in those words) then he really is weak and needs to have some professional coaching on being more assertive.

If he didn’t have access to as many camera angles when undertaking the review that is one thing .....but if he did, saw the contact and bottled making the call, that is entirely another.

I've read elsewhere there were issues when he left City for Everton as part of the Pointon deal, I think it was.
If so, it's a long standing grudge.
During the short-lived Howard Kendall 'love affair' era. ... Could be right.

He does seem to have a stick up his ass when it comes to City.

He really doesn't like us, couldn't believe some of the nonsense I was hearing last night.
It happens every time he co-commentates on our games. I was really surprised by his general negativity esp after he was a scorer of an iconic goal in that rag thrashing back in 1989.

I am now confused.

I cannot decide what I am more flabbergasted about......that VAR refused to act on a clear penalty or that Dermot Gallagher hasn't sat on the fence on a 'Ref Watch' decision 🤯
Well he couldn’t could he, it was so bleedin’ obvious. :confused: